Amy´s GF, dairy free, soy free product review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amy´s GF, dairy free, soy free product review

For a while I have been enjoying the Amy´s GF, DF, SF burritos - nuke 1 minute, flip, nuke 30 seconds, pour on the salsa.

But... tonite I tried the GF, DF, SF mac and cheese. DELICIOUS! It has Daiya cheese which I have tried on a pizza and did NOT like very much. Somehow Amy´s got the texture and flavor just right.

Both products are in the freezer section with the other natural type foods.

So, after three years of a mac/cheese free existence, tonite, I was doing the happy hum.

Is it boxed or frozen? I've tried her frozen bean enchiladas DF GF and I like them. Sauce has a nice flavor. Will try the burritos. thanks for the "review"
    Susie

Eph 3:20-21

Comment

GF DF SF

What about the beans? I have not seen "Amy's" products....but I know it is suggested to avoid legumes.
      Thanks.
      CMHJ

Comment

ixnay on the mac and cheese- it gave me a migraine to beat the band. Waited a month or so, tried again, same result- I think it is due to the outrageously high sodium content. So, I will not try it again. I did email the company to let them know.

Regarding the legumes- I do avoid kidney beans for their high lectin content. I still eat black beans and garbanzos. Since I´m not much of a meat eater, I do need some protein.

Comment

It is so easy to make your own freezer burritos and so much cheaper. I used to buy Amy's all the time. Now I just make my own.

Super simple: Mix up some seasoned beans and rice, roll up in tortillas and the wrap each tortilla in foil and throw in the freezer.

To reheat, unwrap and nuke like the Amy's ones.

Side note. Why are people avoiding legumes?

Comment

There is some theory that MSers need to avoid legumes as they are inflammatory. There is another theory that what needs to be avoided is sat fat, cheese, other dairy and meat (except some say that males, in particular, need some meat.) There is another theory that all sugar white rice and white flour needs to be avoided, or else just all gluten. I subscribe to all of these theories, and therefore my dear family is about to starve, living on nothing but (non-legume) vegetables and brown rice and mega doses of Vitamin D.

The answer MUST be some kind of moderation. None of these theories have been proven. We are plant-based, including beans, eat ice cream as desired, and have fish at least once a week, along with meat once in a while. Who knows? We have to live our lives and not go crazy with all these rules.

Comment

legumes?

There is some theory that MSers need to avoid legumes as they are inflammatory. There is another theory that what needs to be avoided is all animal protein, thus nixing all sat fat, cheese, other dairy and all red meat and poultry (except some say that males, in particular, for some inexplicable reason, need some meat.)

There is another theory that all sugar, white rice and white flour needs to be avoided. Others say no gluten. If I were to subscribe to all of these theories, my dear family would be about to starve, living on nothing but (non-legume) vegetables, quinoa and brown rice and mega doses of Vitamin D.

The answer for me MUST be some kind of moderation. None of these various theories has been proven conclusively. I mainly serve plant-based meals, including beans, pasta and some cheese. We enjoy ice cream as desired, and have fish at least once a week, along with meat once in a while. We eat a lot of salads, greens, fruits, cruciferous vegetables, spinach, yams, beets, rice, and soy products. We have bread, eggs, nuts, seeds, almond milk, dairy milk and soy milk. While I COULD try to impose a legume-free, dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, meat-free existence on my family, they would probably exile me from the house and possibly be no healthier for it.

My DH's neuro did say that SALT has been proven to exacerbate MS symptoms so I have been going a little more lightly with the salt in meal preparation and have stopped buying salty snacks.

Comment

The problem with the stuff in bags and boxes is it is still highly processed, you are probably better off making your own and freezing it.

We went no processed at the beginning of the year, removed the gluten which fixed the wife's intestinal problems and now are removing all meat and dairy.

The best things are simple things, all these chemicals we have been eating cannot be good for us.

I love the fact they have made breakthroughs and came up with more treatments, but I would LOVE if they worked on the cause.
                1995-symptoms with no cause
                2000-diagnosed with Probable MS.
                2000/1-started Avonex
                2002-Rebif b/c increasing brain plaques
                Nov-13-Tecfidera b/c needle fatigue&sympt

Comment

Vegan Pumpkin mac & cheeze

Pumpkin Mac ‘n Cheeze Sauce

1 tbsp Earth Balance (or other non-dairy butter replacer) I skip this and it's still yummy!
                  3/4 cup unsweetened and unflavored Almond or Rice milk
                  1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch or flour)
                  1/4 tsp garlic powder
                  6 tbsp nutritional yeast
                  2 tsp Dijon mustard (I use GF)
                  1 cup canned pumpkin
                  Kosher salt & black pepper, to taste (I used 1/2 tsp salt)
                  herbs/seasonings, to taste (sage or cinnamon would be nice!)

1. Add Earth balance in a pot over low-medium heat.
                  2. In a small bowl, whisk together milk and arrowroot powder (or cornstarch or flour) and garlic powder until clumps are gone. Add into pot and whisk.
                  3. Stir in nutritional yeast, Dijon, S & P and whisk over low heat until thickened (about 5-7 minutes or so). Lastly, add in 1 cup of canned pumpkin and stir until combined and heated through.
                  Store in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 7 days.

Comment

That sounds good!

Comment

Working...
                    X