Too embarrassed to tell anyone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too embarrassed to tell anyone

So a couple of years ago, was the first time it happened.. I was asleep and I woke up to the sensation that I had to go the the restroom, but I then realized I had already soiled myself.. I was horrified.. I quickly went to the restroom to clean myself up. I don't think I have ever woke my husband up while having to rush to the bathroom, but it's so embarrassing, and I'm not sure i could tell him about it. It still happens on the occasion. I'm so embarrassed and tired of this happening.

I've been there!

In my case, at the time, I couldn't get out of bed by myself so I had to say something to my husband. I was totally disgusted, embarrassed and I just wanted to die. I cried a lot.

My husband helped me clean up, and was wonderful about it. Just know you're not alone.

Since then I try and be more aware, and just get on with life the best I can.

Comment

I feel so much better

I don't feel so alone now I wear two mini pads, I can't afford the depends, or the adult diapers, does medicare help pay for them? I can't believe how much they cost more then the diapers for babies.

Is there also a way you can get a box sent to your home instead of going to your home with a months worth I feel so ashamed and my daughter won't even get them at the store for me either, I can't go to the store it is difficult for me to
      walk the only time I leave my home is to go to the Doctors.
      Thank you so much for this discussion I have a problem with both problems, I throw more panties away I won't wash them with my other clothing and I won't wash them by hand. but again thank you.
      My daughter is supposed to be my care taker and she is so disgusted with me. my urine leaves such an odor I have to wash up every time I go to the rest room, and the other I can be sleeping or awake I just don't know I am doing it I stay away from people because I know there is an odor. all my daughter says is I disgust her. I am losing weight again, not to much, but I really so ashamed at night sometimes my legs are numb I can't walk so I call her she is on the other side of other side of our home all I hear is use the leg and drag your self.

Comment

I don't think Medicare helps pay for any kind of incontinence supplies, but after doing an exhaustive cost comparison at our local Wal-Mart recently, I discovered I can purchase a large package of puppy training pads for less money than a package of bed underliners. So if you used them to sit on or put them inside your pants they might not be as effective as diapers,but you could double them and they would be less embarrassing to purchase.

Comment

Don't be ashamed. It is not your fault. You would not wish it on your worst enemy.
          I pee my pants on an alarmingly regular basis.
          It is horrible, but there is bugger all I can do about it. Just can't hold it.
          And thank you MS, you don't feel the need to go until the floodgates are about to open.

Comment

Originally posted by rhll4252 View Post

Is there also a way you can get a box sent to your home instead of going to your home with a months worth I feel so ashamed and my daughter won't even get them at the store for me either, I can't go to the store it is difficult for me to
            walk the only time I leave my home is to go to the Doctors.
            There are online drugstores that sell pads. They come in a discreet box. Sometimes they are on sale so I stock up.

Pet stain and odor removal works well when accidents occur. I felt if it can get up kill the smell from pet accidents then it will work for mine. In fact, it works like a charm.

Comment

Check with your doctor's office. I know someone who has Medicare and gets a case of Poise pads every month paid for. You can always call a medical supply store and ask them. It could be they will cover them with a prescription from your doctor.

Just know your not alone.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynnf View Post
                Check with your doctor's office. I know someone who has Medicare and gets a case of Poise pads every month paid for. You can always call a medical supply store and ask them. It could be they will cover them with a prescription from your doctor.

Just know your not alone.
                Yes; I believe that, if your doctor prescribes an OTC med or product, that an insurance company can cover it. Check with your doctor's office and/or your insurance company.
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Incontienence

You are right it is as embarressing as all get out.
                  So far I have been able to hide my problem. For several years now I have been getting the urge and must use the toilet immediately. There is no time to make any preperation. Now I get no warning at all. I will just start leaking. I feel absolutely nothing. I won't go where there are other folks. It is just to embarresing. I never dreamed I would return to my baby days.

Comment

Incontimence

I am well acquainted with this subject and in no way am embarrassed by it! I have had MS for more then 35 years and am 76 years old. About 5 years ago I began to leak and used pantie liners. I am now using the heaviest pads. Because I was having a lot of UTIs my neuro sent me to a neuro/urologist who did the dreaded tests for a neurgenic bladder. The test showed that I was retaining urine and did have another UTI. He treated me for the infection--I have no feeling in that area so no longer have any pain from infection. But going frequently, having cloudy urine and stinky urine are good indicators.

When you do have an infection it is important for the doctor to order the lab to run a scan on the bacteria responsible to make sure that the right antibiotic is prescribed, but my neuro will prescribe a wide-spectrum antibiotic right away and then change the Rx if needed. A wait of 4 or 5 days to begin treatment can shoot my fever up to 105 degrees and may put me in the hospital. My husband buys pads for me in the heaviest size. I use Ultimate Optima pads from WalMart. I try to remember to go to the bathroom every 2-3 hours and take the drug Imiprimine at night so I only have to get up once during the night. If your Walmart doesn't stock the pads, order them online and they will be sent quickly to your nearest Walmart store.

Occasionally my underwear will get a bit wet. I just rinse them in cold water and throw them in the laundry.If I drink enough water--8 glasses/day
                    and have no infection, there is no odor. And remember that you must drink 8 glasses of water/day. Anything with caffeine does not count!!! And just put on your big girl nties and wear a pad 24/7. If anyone else does not understand, ignore them. It is not their business. The next step is to learn to self catheterize--this is easy and your urologist's nurse will teach you how. But, with a bit of attention, you may avoid that. And by all means discuss your problem with your doctors.

** Moderator's note - Post edited in compliance with guideline #4 and broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. Your e-mail may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**

Comment

Working...
                    X