Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ttc for 5 months now new lesions

Hi everyone,
    I'm pretty new to this, but looking for some advice/ support I guess. I was dx April 2012. 6 months on Avonex, 2 relapses (including my first one for dx). I was cleared back in march 2013 to stop Avonex and TTC ( I just turned 35). My neuro and OB were on board. We have been trying for about 5 months with no pregnancy. Ob said to follow up in six months if nothing happens. Well I just had an MRI, new active lesions, and I just went through 5 solumedrol infusions. And on top of EVERYTHING else, I just got Lyme disease. Ugh.

Anyway, neuro wants to see me next week. He wants to put me back on meds for at least a year to stabilize everything, and said we can TTC in a year. Of course I am upset. I am now 35 and it will only get harder to have a baby. And the thought of going back to square1 trying a new drug ( possibly bg-12) sounds awful to me. It's like I'm going back to when I was dx. I am sad, terrified that this is aggressive, and just want a baby.

Any advice out there?

Hi
    Sorry to hear you got some bad MRI news and that life is tough for you right now.
    I was in kind of the same boat early 2012. I had just had my son and wanted a 2nd baby so bad - I was told to wait because it would be hard on my body. So we waited until Sam was 5 Mo ( I was told to wait a minimum of 2yrs) and got pregnant immediately.
    My MS had always been 'good' I never really had any problems with it. But 2 days after testing positive all hell broke loose. MS destroyed everything. I was unable to take care of my son, myself, household etc.
    Now that my daughter is 9 months old life is so tough I am still recuperating.
    I did what I thought my body could tolerate and ignored the doctors and had to pay a very high price.
    That is my experience with doctors, advice and babies and I thought I'd share my story with you.
    Good luck and best wishes and I hope some day you will get to hold your bundle of joy!

Comment

I'm sorry for what you are going through! I can understand your concern and what your neuro wants to do. MS can make parenting extremely difficult. I never had to deal with having a relapse during pregnancy with my two kids, but is that an issue you want to deal with?

Talk to your neuro and see if you can work something out. Maybe you can start a new DMD for 6-9 months to calm down your MS and then try to get pregnant. Starting a new drug isn't fun but it's worth it. I've been on 4 DMDs and I responded okay to all of them. So have hope, you may too.

I've had MS for 8 years and have had three relapses. Two of those were when I was diagnosed and about a year later. I think it took a long time for the Betaseron I was on to begin working, but it eventually did and it worked well for about 5 years. The only thing you can do is calm down and take it a day at a time. I know having a baby is what you really want, but at what cost?

First, you have to take care of yourself, then you can have a baby. I imagine having a baby is worth starting over with a new drug. Copaxone is a pretty easy one. It has no side effects, but you do inject every day and sometimes the site reactions are nasty. There is a ton of support under the medication forum for any drug you choose.

Take things a day at a time! I wish you all the best!
      Lori
      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Working...
      X