dysphagia therapy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dysphagia therapy

has anybody had therapy for their dysphagia, specifically Vital Stim? Vital Stim is a form of neuro-muscular electrical stimulation, used in speech therapy.

Interested in opinions pro and/or con on if you think it is worth the effort and money.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

I have a good friend who is a speech language pathologist with many years of experience in rehabilitation. I will ask her for feedback and will post her reply.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

Thank You!!! I really appreciate it and look forward to her answers

Comment

Hi Jazzberry
        This is what my friend replied (I'm cutting and pasting. SLP = Speech Language Pathologist; tx= treatment)

" It's been around for many years now but is still "experimental" and SLPs are strongly either pro or con as to the benefits and effectiveness. It cannot be used by itself, only combined with other treatment methods (exercise). So, what makes the Patients better? If I think it would be a useful tool, I use it. Pt's generally like it. If an MD refers for tx, the script needs to include VITALSTIM on it so the SLP can apply it. "

I hope this information helped answer some questions you might have had.
        Be Well,
        Susan

Comment

Thanks Susan! I went for the functional swallow testing (ugh- graham crackers with barium anyone). Turns out the SLP did not feel it would be of great help to me and also let me know how expensive the therapy would be. At least I can say I tried :-)

Comment

Trying is the best thing we can do Jazzberry.

I hope things get better soon.
            Be Well,
            Susan

Comment

Working...
            X