Power wheelchair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power wheelchair

I now need one in my home. I fall too much. Does any have a suggestion on the best one you can get from Medicare. I really would like one that can raise up and also tilt back because I get edema in my legs. I have a guy coming out to access my needs. I know my Neuro will write for whatever I need. I know Medicare is cutting back on everything. Appreciate any advice. Thanks.

You will also need a therapist to do an evaluation. Just getting a rx from your neurologist isn't enough. I went to a wheelchair clinic (part of the rehab dept.) at a local hospital. There, an occupational therapist evaluated my needs and wrote a letter of justification that was submitted to my insurance company. A vendor from one of the w/c suppliers was also there, and the two of them pretty much decided which power chair would best suit my needs. The w/c vendor also came to my house to take measurements.

I also asked to test drive the chair before it was ordered. There were a couple of other models at the wheelchair clinic, but not the one that I was getting. I had to wait a few weeks before the vendor had one in stock. (I never did get to test drive it first, though, I ended up in the hospital for several weeks.)

You will more than likely be approved for the tilt feature, especially if you will be spending long hours in your chair. I was told I was approved for the recline feature because I self-cath.

I don't have medicare but know someone who does and got the same chair I did. She also got approved for an extra feature my insurance wouldn't cover.

I have a Quantum Q-6 by Pride Mobility. So far, it's been a good chair.

Best wishes in getting the right chair!
    Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for your input.

Comment

when I was" fitted" for my chair, there were lots of measurements taken. I also have a quantum and it elevates my feet and it also fully reclines. I have had many issues with it so all I can say is. Almost every part that moves has had to be replaced at one point or another ( some more than once). I know that they have made some improvements, but I cannot comment on them.
        hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
        volunteer
        MS World
        hunterd@msworld.org
        PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Working...
        X