Thinking of Aubagio - been on copaxone for 11 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Aubagio - been on copaxone for 11 years

I have been on copaxone for about 11 years since my dx. I have experienced reactions after taking copaxone about once a month recently. Red flushing in face & chest, trouble breathing and intense muscle spams throughout my body followed by heat then cold and shivers for an hour or so. I also get a a horse throat and stuffed up nose. The latest one was bad and I had red eyes for two days after.
    Two questions: I haven't heard of this extreme reaction from others - has anyone had the intense muscle spasms & other symptoms right after injection?
    Also: has anyone switched to Aubagio after being on a treatment for so long?
    I feel the reactions aren't "normal" as I've been told but I'm undecided whether to stay with copaxone and deal with the harsh reaction or give Aubagio a try.
    Any thoughts?

Aubagio is my first treatment but I am usually very sensitive to medication and I was really afraid of side effects. I have taken it for almost 5 months now and haven't had any side effects at all. I think you should talk to you doctor about it and hope you find something to help you tolerate your medicine better.

Comment

Originally posted by Gdoms View Post
      I have been on copaxone for about 11 years since my dx. I have experienced reactions after taking copaxone about once a month recently. Red flushing in face & chest, trouble breathing and intense muscle spams throughout my body followed by heat then cold and shivers for an hour or so. I also get a a horse throat and stuffed up nose. The latest one was bad and I had red eyes for two days after.
      Two questions: I haven't heard of this extreme reaction from others - has anyone had the intense muscle spasms & other symptoms right after injection?
      Also: has anyone switched to Aubagio after being on a treatment for so long?
      I feel the reactions aren't "normal" as I've been told but I'm undecided whether to stay with copaxone and deal with the harsh reaction or give Aubagio a try.
      Any thoughts?

Hi, I was on Copaxone for 5 years. I have had a few reactions exactly as you describe. The first was terrifying, as I though I was having a heart attack.

Did your medicos educate you on post injection reaction? That's what it is. It's awful and one of the reasons I have gone off Copaxone as I was prone to it (around 10% of MSers have it apparently). But I mainly went off it because of skin necrosis, despite diligent site rotation.

I am currently on Aubagio, since early this year. Not a candidate for Gilenya. Positive for JCV antibody so no Tysabri.

I am posting in another thread here on my Aubagio experiences.
      Diagnosed 11/2007, Copaxone 8/2008 - 2/2013, Aubagio 3/2013 - 11/2013

Comment

Working...
      X