Optic Neuritis symptom..???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis symptom..???

So I've had ON in both eyes for the past 5 years, I'm starting to notice some weird things going on with my eyes.

Besides the little blind spots that distort my vision, I'm also now having what I think are blurry spots, where I have to blink and close my eyes, and look around to get focus back. Sometimes I think it's my contacts, but then when I wake up in the morning, with no contacts in, I get the blurriness... which is extremely annoying.
    Part of me thinks that it's eye goop.? or whatever its called, maybe from allergies..?

One other thing I'm noticing recently is when I'm reading (books and magazines) my focus gets really funky, it almost feels like I have a camera in my eyes and its auto-focusing. The words get all clumped together, also the words seem really dark.. That's the best way I can describe it..
    Any input is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Have you had any pain in that one eye?

Lisa
    Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
    SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
    Tysabri

Comment

Yes, not constant but I do get it. I give it about a 4 in pain when I do get it.

Comment

Since it sounds like its coming from both eyes, I would see your eye doc. It could just be the effect from having ON several times in each eye. I have optic nerve atrophy in both eyes from having ON several times in each eye. I have weird eye issues from that. An ophthalmologist can evaluate you and give you an idea of what you are dealing with. It is a good idea to go in and get evaluated at this point.

Wish you good luck and better sight!

Lisa
        Moderation Team
        Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
        SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
        Tysabri

Comment

The blurriness sounds like what happens to my dry eyes when I forget my eye drops--both eyes at the same time. I too have had ON in both eyes, and more than once, and yeah--weird vision stuff is constant.

It could be any number of things, but I agree with Lisa, it's worth a checkup and an expert opinion to see just what is going on. Keep us posted!

Comment

Thanks guys, and Lisa, I'm pretty sure I've heard the eye doc say that I have Atrophy also. After having ON for so long and many attacks, I'm sure now they told me that, if that changes anything. Either way I see the doc on the 16th so we'll see what happens after that.

Thanks again, and keep fighting.!

Comment

Hello,

Some of you may be interested in this study:

Effect of 4-aminopyridine on vision in multiple sclerosis patients with optic neuropathy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23616154

4AP has been around a long time. Perhaps, you would want to alert your doctor about this new study for discussion about treating ON. You are already getting any benefit if you are taking fampridine because it is time-release 4AP. Only 4AP is far, far less expensive than fampridine.

Selected quote:
              "This study shows that 4-aminopyridine or 4AP improves visual function and conduction in eyes previously damaged by optic neuritis. 4AP is a drug that has been around for decades and was typically produced by compounding pharmacies, as it was never formally licensed for any indication. More recently it has been formulated as a slow-release formulation that is called fampridine. Fampridine has been licensed to improve walking speeds for MSers with walking difficulties.”

Comment

Probably should have posted the following in relative to the study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23616154

CONCLUSIONS:

4-Aminopyridine is useful for improving vision in patients with demyelinating optic neuropathy. Future clinical trials may be able to enrich a patient population for potential responders using OCT and VEP measures. Selecting patients for future trials should use RNFL measures as part of inclusion/exclusion criteria.

CLASSIFICATION OF EVIDENCE:

This study provides Class IV evidence supporting the use of 4-AP in certain patients with optic neuropathy to improve visual function (patients with RNFL between 60 and 80 µm).

Comment

Working...
                X