Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat-Wave Solutions

I don't know about others,

But I'm in the midst of a major heat-wave in my region.

What do You do in a heatwave and it feels like a pastry-mixer has scrambled your memory (aka, wicked CogFog)

Right now, I'm kind of sitting limply in a fan, trying not to think, nevermind make the major decisions that my life-circumstances are demanding. I am mixing up words, thoughts, letters, sentences, speaking in non-sequitur thought-processes, and forgetting what is going on, moment to moment.

Does anyone have any insight or tips? Right now I'm down to lying down limp in front of a fan, and watching cartoons passively. And I don't like it!

I'd love to start a conversation with other MSers on heat-wave solutions.

Cheers, and happy July!

I hear you. It has been ridiculously hot and wet in my neighborhood this last few weeks. Sitting around watching TV. Don't have any suggestions about beating the heat. Yeah, Happy Fourth !!

Comment

Same heat, different year!

Jerry,
      Try here:
      http://www.msworld.org/forum/showthread.php?t=121001

Comment

cool on the wrists

I wanted to ride in the MS bike ride this year and it was suppose to be 102. So I was doing research without spending a ton on a chilling vest. So I took a handkerchief and rolled it up and wrapped it around my wrist like a bracelet. Then I would get it wet with cold water and make sure it had soaked in to the skin. However it wasn't dripping so I wouldn't get soaked when I was walking around. I would also take ice cubes and place them between the folds of the "bracelet" and it worked like a charm and you could rub it on the back of your neck and forehead. I hope you can find something that works for you.
        Don't forget to use the good china for Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches.

Comment

For anyone who for some reason can't put in a room air conditioner in a window or wall there are portable air conditioners available. Like other room air conditioners they cost a few hundred dollars but they are an option.

As for affordability one of the MS societies might be able to issue a grant and many utility companies give reduced rates to customers with verified medical needs. Medical insurance usually doesn't cover air conditioners but they often can be a medical tax deduction with a doctor's documentation of medical need. So there might be a better way to stay cool than sitting in front of a fan and a bowl of ice cubes and just hoping for the best.

Comment

I have taken Ice pkgs and put around my abdomen chewing on ice chips or Popsicles -- anything to reduce your core temperature as I spent many a day out watching softball games while my daughter played. find the shade where a hat and us a fan those that blow mist are great

Comment

Working...
            X