Campath, whatever it's called....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campath, whatever it's called....

Sounds okay, bit like chemo, but pretty reasonable results.

Hey ho, Lord I hate this sodding disease. Saddle up and ride, I suppose.Don.twhat frightens me more, death or disability.

I hate it too. It's the uncertainty and constant variability. It sucks.

Comment

Campath is often compared to HSCT. theory of rebooting the immune system and giving you a new one.

I would think Campath might be more dangerous since your immune system is down longer vs the HSCT and has had more deaths associated.
      Suspected MS 1985. dx 1994 still RRMS EDSS 1.0

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
        Campath, whatever it's called....Sounds okay, bit like chemo, but pretty reasonable results.
        Campath isn't a "bit like chemo". It IS chemo.

And Campath is still Campath. It won't become Lemtrada until it's approved by the FDA and that will only be for MS. Calling it Lemtrada now is jumping the gun.

Comment

Sorry about the mangled last sentence, the IPad and I are having issues.
          I think Campath is what they call it in Australia. My MS woman was fairly keen a year ago to 'book me in' for a treatment to start about a year from now.
          I've been googling in the last few days, and it sounds like there's a good chance it will make a dramatic difference to people like me.
          I know it's chemo; but at least it's been used for a longish time before, so it's not something brand new.

Also, I quite like being in hospital, so a few weeks lying quietly sounds pretty good to me,

Comment

You know me, I always choose quality over quantity. I am not afraid of death. . I definitely wanted to die during that last flare.... And what happened to that story about being brave?

European Union apparently approved it yesterday, with the name Lemtrada. But I knew what you meant by Campath, that is what they are probably calling it in Australia.

It is not a first line therapy, several serious risks I am sure, but hey...which of the MS Drugs don't have risks? Copaxone is the easiest, but it can still cause serious problems for some.

One week of chemo, then 3 days of chemo a year later? It would be a rough go for a couple of weeks, that is for sure. But if it would slow everything down significantly...

I would read, read, read first...then make your decision.

There are lots of folks that have had chemo here for other reasons. Might want to start a thread asking them their opinion on the chemo aspect.
            Katie
            "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
            "My MS is a Journey for One."
            Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I think I read the EU did approve it as a first-line treatment. That was the big shocker! For the treat early and treat aggressively crowd, it was a major victory.

It's got me wondering if I want to press my neuro to let me have the treatment. I have almost no measurable disability, and I'm doing well with my Copaxone, although it causes fatigue on its own for me. I don't want to wait around to find out what my next attack might be. I have the impression that taking the Campath/Lemtrada/Alemtuzumab can stop the disease in its tracks for some of us. Is it worth the risk?

Comment

Working...
              X