Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betaseron and Cancer?

Hello all.

I posted recently in another part of the site about my mom. She has been on Betaseron for about 10 years and was recently told she may have liver cancer. She shows no signs of it and only went in because of her recently worsening reactions to the Beta.

The MRIs revealed 3 growths on her liver and her blood work is "high" and has skyrocketed (that is all I can get out of her right now from across the country.) She saw an oncologist who basically said she believes its cancer and that the hope is that its not primary liver.

Her lung xray was clean so the pet scan is next...I am terrified to think that it could be primary liver cancer, assuming they don't find cancer anywhere else in her body.

My question for you all is this. Has anyone ever been misdiagnosed with liver cancer when really it was the medication raising your liver enzymes etc.? I'm thinking and really, really hoping that perhaps this is the case and that the growths are benign and coincidental. Is this a possibility, or am I just in denial?

Its so hard because I live on the other side of the country and can't get in there to ask these questions myself. Her brother is being great about accompanying her but I'm not so sure all of my questions are being asked. Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks for reading.

Originally posted by Nay91400 View Post
    The MRIs revealed 3 growths on her liver and her blood work is "high" and has skyrocketed (that is all I can get out of her right now from across the country.) She saw an oncologist who basically said she believes its cancer and that the hope is that its not primary liver.

Has anyone ever been misdiagnosed with liver cancer when really it was the medication raising your liver enzymes etc.?
    I appreciate how hard it is for you to try to figure out what's going on with your mom when your getting information second hand.

There are many things that can cause liver enzymes to be high. Betaseron and other medicines can do that. But there doesn't seem to be anything in the scientific literature about Betaseron causing growths on the liver or liver cancer.

A comopetent oncologist would never jump to a conclusion of cancer just from high liver enzymes. No one can be misdiagnosed with liver cancer just because liver enzymes were abnormal. There was probably some other blood tests done with your mom and then the MRI was done because Betaseron alone couldn't explain what was happening.

I won't say your in denial but I do think you don't have enough information about Betaseron and liver cancer to know that liver growths aren't just a benign coincidence of Betaseron and that a competent oncologist would not misdiagnose cancer if abnormal growths were just a harmless side effect of Betaseron. They aren't.

I wish I could find some information to put your mind at ease but there doesn't seem to be any. Your mom's oncologist has apparently only said she thinks it's cancer. It will take a biopsy to show what's going on.

Is it possible for you to send your mom's brother a list of questions to ask at her next doctor's appointment and have him write down the answers and send them back to you? Trying to get answers any other way will be a major undertaking.

Comment

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. It all makes sense.

To clarify, since I'm sure I wasn't clear lol, I do not think the Betaseron could cause the growths. I just read that people do get cysts that are benign. Was wondering if that was the coincidental part...high levels from the Beta and also growths for another reason (other than cancer or beta...) I'm not a doctor though. I am still hoping its not cancer but you're right, until all of the testing is complete it is impossible to know and I am just speculating from across the country, as I would be if I were there.

I will speak more with my uncle, its just dicey because he thinks he has it all under control with the questions and retaining the information but he has a lot going on too and some things are bound to get lost in the mix. Just don't want to offend him since he's the one who's there, not me. I have asked my mom to bring a tape recorder with her though.

Again, thank you so much. I really do appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
      X