changing position in bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

changing position in bed

I cannot roll over, bend/unbend legs. makes it nearly impossible to change position. I have bed rails, tie straps to pull my legs. Any ideas to help ?

Hi Supie
    It's great that you have the side rail and straps. Some people find grabbing bed linens and using momentum can help. Swing the opposite arm on side you wish to turn. (want to turn left, swing right arm)

You may want to try putting a pillow under your knees when you're on your back, not only helps with positioning but the pillow can assist in moving legs.
    Put pillow between legs, move it toward direction of turn and place leg opposite direction of turn on top.
    For example, you want to roll to the left... move pillow that is between legs out and over left leg and place right leg over pillow.

Also, look at the type of mattress you use. The firmer the surface, the easier it is to move. *side note- be sure to check your skin integrity

Practicing different ways to use momentum and how much your upper body can help can be quite beneficial.

Perhaps you can ask your doctor to write a prescription for physical or occupational therapy to assess adaptive equipment based on current needs (it can be home health services). They can also help make recommendations of other techniques as well.

I hope these suggestions can help in some way. Feel free to add additional information that can help me better understand your needs and abilities.
    Be Well,
    Susan

Comment

chg position

thanks for the ideas, I can't do the pillow leg thing. can't lift my legs. I guess I will check with OT.

Comment

Working...
      X