AT THE GYM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

peddler's question

I work out in the pool everyday right now - mostly due to heat and balance issues. I like the freedom and range of motion I get only in the water.

My right ankle is the one that is easily pronated, although my foot drop has really improved with the patterning practice I do walking in the water.

I used to use the recombinant bike at the gym also, warming up for weights and other strength training. At the trainers' desk at the health club they had a brace that attached to the pedals, the ankle, and the metatarsal arch. Some of the bikes already had a simple stirrup brace, but this one was much more firm in keeping the whole foot aligned. Check to see whether something like this is available at your gym.

Keep up the good work, everyone. My time at the health club is the best part of my day. I'll start land workouts along with the pool soon - when I have a bit more money to buy some personal training sessions to help me design a workout that matches my present ability level.

Stay lifted,
    Mermaid
    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Peddler, hope you found something that enables you to get back in the saddle. I can no longer run or even walk long distances without my trekking poles, but I am able to bike.

Mermaid,
      Can you explain the "patterning practice" in the pool that you mentioned? I am very curious as we are in the process of filling our above ground pool and I am looking forward to using it. I too love the freedom of movement in the pool.

Thanks!
      Meet me in a land of hope and dreams. -Bruce Springsteen

Comment

The air duct trick is good. A lot of gyms have colossal fans you can use as well. It seems obvious to say, but loose shorts and a light shirt too. Those specialized synthetic running shirts are amazing - warm when you need it and easy to cool and stay dry in.

Comment

Peddler, I started riding a three wheel bicycle a couple of years ago and absolutely love it! I was finding this year that my right leg kept slipping of the pedal while i was riding, and since i don't feel that leg, it was really cumbersome to put it back. I went out and bought a toe thing that keeps my foot in place from a bike store. My three wheeler is super stable, so i don't know if i would do it on a two wheel bike because it can be a bit tricky to get your foot out, but it has worked wonders for me.
          Diagnosed 2000 RRMS. Copaxone 2000 - 2010 Rebif 2010 - 2013 Copaxone 2013 - 2014 Tecfidera October 2014
          "You can't appreciate the good days without the bad ones."

Comment

for sewhappy

Dear sewhapppy,
            Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to your question. I lost track of this thread somehow.

The "patterning" I do in the pool is focused on my gait and balance. I walk the length of the pool trying to keep both my left and right feet on the same center line. I lengthen my stride. I practice toe-first and heel-first steps. I try to be super-conscious of how my metatarsal arch can keep a steady strength through each step. I do all of this backwards. There's more, but you get the idea.

I can do none of these things on land while keeping a strong, symmetrical alignment. So in the water I am trying to re-acquaint my brain's motor pathways with the way I want to be able to move. Over time (years), I feel I have made some changes. Even on land, I can do a few steps now. Perhaps I am forming some new routes around my lesions. At least I hope so.

But SPMS is a hard master. I have to acknowledge that changes come slowly and sometimes seem to be moving in the other direction.

Stay lifted,
            Mermaid
            "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Working...
            X