Avonex refrigeration and vacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avonex refrigeration and vacation

I have a question I'm sure someone can help me. So with summer vacation coming up my kids and husband are excited me not so much.

My family always heads out on a vacation to somewhere.

We stay in a hotel but the fridges are not reliable so how do I keep my Avonex refrigerated. Is it possible to have a dose sent to a pharmacy where we will be. Has anyone dealt with this and if so what do you do. [/SIZE]

Thanks

Hi babyduckling! I have done some traveling in the past while using Avonex and have come across some unreliable fridges in our hotel rooms too. Not often, but when it happened, I merely went to the front desk, explained my situation and they kept it there for me in their private fridge - One time there was a cafe/rest. in the hotel and they kept it there too. Carefully marked with my name, room# and phone. I kept the med in the original box with prescription label,, so there would be no confusion.

If you plan to be at the same place for an extended period of time, perhaps your pharmacy would do that for you, but I really don't know as I've never had to do that.

Hope everything works out well with you and your family. Have a wonderful vacation time!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

It can stay out of the refrigerator for at least a week if necessary (but not too hot). I like the idea of the hotel putting it in a special refrigerator, I'm sure there are many people who need to refrigerate meds. My grandfather used to keep his insulin in the sink filled with water.

Call biogen and they will tell you how long it can be out of the refrigerator - I think it's a week if kept below 78 degrees (though I never felt comfortable leaving it out either)

Comment

I usually take my Avonex before I leave on vacation. Then when I return take it again. You can go10 days between doses. That way I don't need to worry about keeping it refrigerated and disposing of syringes.

Comment

Working...
        X