Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most comfortable car?

Hi,
    My husband has MS and finds it very hard to sit for any length of time. He can't stand very long either because of back pain, foot drop, weakness, you know, MS...
    We're needing to buy a new car. We currently have a NIssan Crew Cab truck and it's been very comfortable but a little hard to get in and out of.
    Any suggestions on some kind of SUV that would be the most comfortable? My husband is over 6 feet and I don't think he could get in and out of a sedan.
    I want him to retain independence as long as possible and he can still drive.
    Thanks
    Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Originally posted by duckfan View Post
    We currently have a NIssan Crew Cab truck and it's been very comfortable but a little hard to get in and out of.
    What is your husband having the most trouble with in getting in and out of your truck? Is it the step-up height or the maneuvering through the doorway and onto the seat? If its the step-up height there are auxiliary steps that can be added to the side of the truck to ease that issue.

If its the maneuvering you might have to look for a full size SUV with wide doorways and shallow side wings on the bucket seats. I have a mid size Toyota SUV and because I'm short I have to have the seat close to the steering wheel and pedals. I have to get in at kind of a funny angle between the door and steering wheel. It might not be a problem for a taller person who drives with the seat farther back. The passenger side is OK to get into with the seat farther back. The back seat has the same kind of funny angle for getting in so that might be hard for your husband if he would ever ride in the back. A full size SUV might not have the same issue.

Comment

My husband has most of the damage from MS on his left side, pretty bad foot drop. He has to lift his left leg to get it in the truck. Once he's in it's ok. His butt burns after sitting and I would like a truck, SUV that has comfortable seats.
      I can't believe how expensive cars are. The Toyota Highlander looks good but it cost so much.
      Husband Dx'd in 2006. Currently on Tysabri, Gabapentin, Ampyra, Baclofen..

Comment

I'm in the process of getting something called an "Easy Reach" installed on our minivan.

Google: access unlimited easy reach

YouTube has some videos as well.

Basically, it's a device that swivels a seat out of a car or truck to make it easier to access.

They custom make it for your vehicle, it takes about 5-6 weeks from order and costs $6500. Not cheap, but may be an option worth exploring.

Comment

Originally posted by knuckle View Post
          Basically, it's a device that swivels a seat out of a car or truck to make it easier to access.
          Hi duckfan,

I believe knuckle has the right idea.

It's not so much about what vehicle someone else might find comfortable. It's about what vehicle you and your husband may want or what works for his size and checking ways to make it more accessible and comfortable for him.
          Diagnosed 1984
          “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I find it hard to get in and out of small vehicles as well. I can manage sitting for long hours in my truck which is a chevy colorado. The seats are pretty close to flat, which I find helps with my back issues. Step bars on the side help getting in and out too.

Go try different vehicles out in dealerships, sit in them for a while and see how it feels. it'll give you a good idea for your next vehicle

Comment

Hi!, My S-I-L is 6'4" & I have MS, We have a Chrysler Mini Van & Love it. My S-I-L has no trouble sitting or driving,I just slide right in no trouble. It's the 2nd.one we've owned,it has room for my 3 G'kids,my DD,S-I-L,& my walker & wheelchair.
              Keep us posted,God Bless.

Comment

I have a 2010 Subaru Forester. I am 6'2" and can't do low vehicles. It has full power seat, move back with a touch of the control. Easy to get in and out of. Very comfortable for long drives, seats are heated for Winter.
                Bill
                Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

If you want to look at a sedan just to see if it will work, you might try the Camry. My husband had a spinal cord problem with permanent nerve damage and, like your husband, can't sit for long. He also has arthritis. He thinks tat the Camry is comfortable and can get in and out OK. He's only 5' 11'. I think the seats go back quite a bit, though, and they have lots of adjustments.

A warning. The higher level Camry ( the one with the leather trimmed seats has less comfortable seats, according to a friend who opted for that model.

Comment

car thoughts

Originally posted by duckfan View Post
                    My husband has most of the damage from MS on his left side, pretty bad foot drop. He has to lift his left leg to get it in the truck. Once he's in it's ok. His butt burns after sitting and I would like a truck, SUV that has comfortable seats.
                    I can't believe how expensive cars are. The Toyota Highlander looks good but it cost so much.
                    Cars are absurdly expensive.

Like your husband I have left leg issues and have to pull my leg into the car.

Renting a number of cars over the last few years I found my comfort level very low in cars w/o electric power seats.

W/o a doubt get a car with a multi way power seat, and, if possible, a steering wheel that not only swings up and down, but also in and out. If I could afford the big Lexus, I'd buy it - extremely comfortable, with numerous position adjustments.

I've also learned that I want a car where the seat is the same height as my bottom - my SO's BMW 3 series is too low and I bump my head far too often and have to fall onto the seat.

When I went looking for a station wagon - needing an area that I could lift my TravelScoot in w/o disassembling it - I found the Toyota Venza very easy to get in and out of. It is available with 4WD.

The Prius V has similar seats and has a lot of carrying capacity.

Buying a used car via ebay motors might save a lot of money vs a local dealer. I have no experience using them, but when I looked (for amusement) for used Porsches I saw good selections and prices.

Good luck.

G

Comment

I have a PT Cruiser, bought it used last year, 2007 and paid $5,000 including tax and title.

I can walk in and walk out. For long trips, even in our Mercedes which is very comfy I use an extra gel cushion. I have to bring it into Sunday school bible study because I spent the last half hour unable to concentrate due to pain.

If you are planning on buying a new car, maybe renting one first to see ease of access and comfort in a real trial.

I gave my Cadillac SRX to my son because I just couldn't get in and out multiple times, it was too exhausting because of the height and large sill that I had to get my leg over. It was good for me when we first got it, but then became too much of a struggle.

Sometimes a 2 door car if you don't have to carry others with you is a lot easier to get in and out because the doors are so much wider.

Comment

We have a Chrysler Town & Country mini van,my S-I-L is 6'4" & has no trouble. We drove from Memphis,Tn. to D.C. & I had no problums,my right side is weak w/foot drop & can't lift my leg,I just slide right in.I know there not cheep,but we got ours at "Car Max" really good price..Keep us posted what you find.
                        God Bless Owlnona

Comment

F150

I have he best luck with my full size F150 truck. The seat is right at butt height, so I can just slide in. I still have to give my legs a little help. The truck leaves enough room for hand controls.

Comment

Working...
                          X