Trigeminal Neuralgia, oxcarbezine, and insomnia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trigeminal Neuralgia, oxcarbezine, and insomnia

Help! My Trigeminal Neuralgia came back with a vengeance a couple of weeks ago and the doc prescribed Oxcarbezine (I had once tried Tegretol and hated it). The med works, and while I am still on a lower dose as I acclimate to it, I take 150mg at night. My insomnia was terrible last night. I couldn't fall asleep, but when I finally did...I couldn't stay asleep.

Also, my right foot is dragging much worse now that I'm on this med.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I don't have a med recommendation, but wanted to say ...

I'm so sorry your TN is recurring. I had TN from January - March (about 6 weeks, 14-20 times a day). It was awful. I understand now why they call it the "suicide disease".

I also have had terrible insomnia since the start, and at one point an ER doctor recommended amitriptyline (for the TN). My own doctor ended up trying me with neurontin, then Lyrica. They didn't do much for the pain. Eventually it resolved.

I'm NOW on amitriptyline for sleep purposes, and it is working beautifully (after trying three other meds that didn't help). I do wish I'd tried it back in my TN days -- could have saved myself months of insomnia :-P.

Again, so sorry you're going through this :-(.

Comment

There is a cure

I developed TN a few years ago (before being diagnosed for MS). I took tegritol and baclofen, and they prevented major attacks for the most part, but made me a zombie. When I declared I had had enough, I had the brain surgery procedure which wraps the trigeminal nerve in a Teflon sheath. It was a tough recovery, but I am fully cured. Three years later I was diagnosed with MS. Damn!

So I wish you well with whatever treatment you end up with. Knowing what TN is like, I really do know how you feel, and you have my sympathy.

Good luck,
      Scary

Comment

MS + TN

Yeah, I'm there too. Right now the TN is raging 24/7. Lyrica doen't touch it, so I add to that Tegratol a few times a day. I feel like a walking pharmacy !

Comment

I was on Gabapentin for TN & spasticity, and while it worked for both, I was dizzier and had to use a cane. I was also loopy and became concerned for my cognitive function.

I use Oxcarbezepine (sp) and while I am not dizzy or loopy, I do have breakthrough pain. I am on Baclofen for spasticity.

Hoping you find relief.
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

I have had TN for years, in fact it was my first MS symptom. Now I have it bilaterally. I have taken Oxcarbazepine, and it worked great for years. Then I became allergic to it. The drug itself though, works like a charm on TN once you get used to it. Give it a month, and get up to the target dose. I took mine only at night, and it worked. I took baclofen too. Together...boom. No more TN.

Good luck and hang in there!

Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Hello...

NO DOUBT,TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA IS A VICIOUS MALADY. I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH MS IN 1972, AND AM 75 YEARS OLD.

NO NEITHER NUMBER IS A TYPO

I AM NOT SURE WHEN MY FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH TN OCCURRED-BUT I DO REMEMBER THE CIRCUMSTANCE VIVIDLY. I THOUGHT I HAD A DENTAL PROBLEM IN AN UPPER MOLAR. MY DENTIST DID HIS TAP,TAP,TAP ROUTINE IN THAT AREA....NOTHING HURT. HE CALLED A DENTAL CONSULTANT FRIEND OF HIS AND WAS ADVISED MY PROBLEM COULD BE AN EPISODE OF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA.

THE CONSULTANT RECOMMENDED INCREASING THE AMOUNT OF ORAL PREDNISONE.... I WAS ALREADY TAKING FOR A FEW DAYS.

I DID AND IT STOPPED. I RESEARCHED TN- AND READ ALL THE SCARY THINGS THE NET HAS TO SAY ABOUT IT....SUCH AS ALSO BEING CALLED "THE SUICIDE DISEASE.
              AT THAT TIME THE PROCEDURE (KNOWN AS THE GAMMA KNIFE) WHEREIN THREE RF BEAMS ARE FOCUSED ON THE TN NERVE TO DESTROY IT - WAS USED BY SOME.

NO THANK YOU !

SAID ALL THAT TO TELL YOU I HAVE FOUND ORAL PREDNISONE (10 MG EVERY OTHER DAY) QUITE EFFECTIVE IN KEEPING THE TN MONSTER AT BAY AND TO A CERTAIN DEGREE SUBDUING THE MS MONSTER WHICH YOU MAY HAVE HEARD OF

i ALSO TAKE 10 MG'S BACLOFEN AND NEURONTIN TO CONTROL EVENING SPASMS

AS OTHERS HAVE SAID...I AM A WALKING PHARMACY

Comment

Working...
              X