Women, Weight Loss and MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women, Weight Loss and MS

I was dx two years ago with MS (RRMS) and have been on Copaxone for over a year. In the last two years, I have gained almost 20 lbs and gone up almost two sizes. Granted, I just turned 50 and went through 'the change' (with minimal side effects thankfully). But, I need to lose this extra weight.

In 41 days, I leave on a cruise with my daughter and I want to look decent as well as fit back into my bathing suit and other clothes. I'm concerned about using over the counter diet pills because I'm not sure what might kick up MS symptoms. But, I am desperate. My fatigue has been acting up lately and so though I have the desire to work out, my energy has been flagging by the time I get home from work. Any suggestions?

I've been using www.myfitnesspal.com since the beginning of January. There are many communities there, including one for those with MS. It's just a site where you log your food intake -- but have done it honestly and realized that my eating habits (mostly portions and amount of sugar) were way out of line.

I've lost 35 pounds since January 1, despite having onset of what looks to be ms and a very long flare/excaberation/not sure what it is -- mostly due to cutting out sugar almost completely and doing a better job with nutrients/quality of food. I also use the treadmill at the gym, although this has been hit and miss more recently due to symtpoms.

Comment

Menopause makes it rough but really the key is less intake than output. I have try to eat sensibly but as I get older and closer to 50 it is harder to lose weight when I have indulged.

The only way I found that works is exercise and portion control. Diet pills are forced portion control but at what expense? If your physician oks you for exercise making yourself find the time even if you are tired should result in more energy and a mood boost.

Good luck, the cruise sounds wonderful!!
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      Anonymous

Comment

I gained weight, over the years, with MS, mostly due to frequent steroid use to treat my MS flares.

In 2010-2011, I got my head and my motivation together enough to lose 60 pounds. I went from a size 22 to a size 6. My MS symptoms, my fatigue, and my health in general have improved.

I lost the weight just prior to "the change" happening for me. I maintained my weight loss, fairly easily, for 6-8 months, following successful weight loss. But, since the change, it has been more difficult. I've read that it is not at all unusual, if you change nothing that you were doing before, to gain 6-10 pounds per year, following the change. So, yes; that is likely the reason for your weight gain.

In order to keep those extra 10 pounds per year off, you likely have to decrease calories, or, increase exercise, by approximately 700 calories per week. That's not a lot. 120 calories per day. Or, 200 calories 3-4x per week.

If you wish to lose weight, and not just maintain, you'll need to do more.

My advice to make a healthy change or two:
        • Decrease calories. Maybe use an online program that can count calories. I understand Weight Watchers is one (although I think there is a cost). I've used sparkpeople.com. It's free, and has many resources to help. (You can view my sparkpeople profile by clicking on my name and then clicking on View Mamabug's homepage.)
        • Increase exercise.
          • Start walking. Or, walk longer, if you're already walking.
          • Build muscle. Muscle increases metabolism, which helps to burn calories, even while you are not exercising. And, it counter-acts the decrease in metabolism that naturally occurs during per-menopause and menopause.
          • Look into an exercise program. A class at your local wellness center or YMCA. Or, join "Curves Complete" at a local Curves outlet, which comes with info on diet, exercise, and weight loss, and includes weekly coaching.

• Decrease starchy foods. Especially white flour products, such as breads, pasta, crackers, many cereals, etc. Consider increasing protein instead.
        • Read! Educate yourself about nutrition.

Consider it an investment in your future and your health. Use whatever motivators you can find, or muster up. Whether it's vanity (appearance), health, energy to play to grandchildren (if you have any), whatever.
        My initial motivator was to look better for two upcoming events (my daughter's wedding, and a 30-year college reunion). And, that helps me to continue my motivation to maintain weight. Nothing tastes as good as thin feels!

But, an additional motivator to maintain is the considerable health benefits I've observed. Better balance, more energy, improved cholesterol, etc, etc. I don't EVER want to go back to being obese again!

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

We are almost twinsies! (age, weight, etc).

I have used Walk at Home dvds (leslie sansone) for years. They really help with balance and weight loss. Plus they don't knock me out with fatigue like the some of the ones I used to do a few years ago.

Libraries carry the DVDs alot. She has so many - read reviews on amazon and watch clips on collage video to find one that is your "style."

Good Luck.

PS I have also had success in past with fitnesspal as mentioned by other poster.

Comment

I used this when I wanted to lose weight about 4 yrs ago. I have tried all the diets, fads, etc and nothing worked.
            And this was prior to my MS diagnosis but still the food is healthy, even my regular dr was impressed with it.
            Flat Belly Diet - you can find it by searching or by going to the Prevention magazine website.
            It does a lot of the work for you (menu wise/grocery shopping). There's no weird foods...a lot of it is just portion control and the combination of foods that you eat...lots of MUFA's that keep you full longer.
            I dropped 60lbs in a little over 3 months and have kept all of it of except for maybe 5 little lbs that like to come back now and then.
            Even my mom went on it and said this was the only diet she'd ever been on where she wasnt hungry. She had to stop it as it was making her blood sugar go up(she's type 2 diabetes) but she enjoyed it.
            Im actually thinking of going back on it as i would like to lose some more weight.

Comment

Have you tried nuvigil? It may help with energy and makes you less hungry.

Comment

I would like to mention SparkPeople as a great site to check also.
                ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Shooting Star --

I'd love to follow you on SparkPeople. Click on my name and on my homepage. You can find my sparkpage there and "friend" me or send me a message.

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                  - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                  - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                  - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                  X