First injection with MS Nurse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First injection with MS Nurse

On Thursday, I had my first experience with Betaseron. As I was told to do, I took a pain killer a half an hour before she came. I was really pleased that I had no problems after my first injection.

I did have to practice the "art" of mixing the serum beforehand. That will take some time to get used to doing. However, I remember that it took awhile before prepping my Copaxone became an easy routine. One difference that I did notice was that I didn't have that "bee sting" feeling afterwards. I just had the initial little "ouch" from the needle; not too bad! Later, that night or the next morning, I saw a small red area on my tummy and wondered where it had come from; didn't hurt. Then, I realized it was where I had given my injection! ;p

I realize that I have to work up to the maximum dosage, but the nurse went ahead and filled out the calendar for me, so I would know each time that I should increase it. I am also glad that I don't have to refrigerate it or use an ice pack after each injection. We are leaving for a vacation today, so that made packing so much easier. :-)

Will be giving my first "on my own" injection tonight at the hotel. Should be interesting, to say the least! So glad they have the handy prep "mat" to help lay out each item and to remind me of each step! ;-)*Really hoping that I am able to continue to do well on this treatment. I just want one full year of no major exacerbations or hospital stays.

Blessings,
    Sherry

Proverbs 31 wannabe
    Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

I have been on Betaseron for a little over a year now and it gets easier the more you do it, like anything else. I haven't had any of the side effects from it at all, they told me to take ibuprofen about an hour before I inject but I haven't even needed it. In my opinion, I can't do that auto injector thing, too big and bulky, easier to do it myself. Anyway, just know it gets easier, just have to get into a routine. They were really good to deal with in my experience.
    Disabled and going to school at the moment to make the best of my situation.

Comment

It does get easier, as you establish your routine. I've been on it 4.5 yrs now & I can mix it in my sleep - actually I may have a time or two!

Premedicate until you know how you'll react. Unfortunately that would mean living with flu sx for a day ... I forgot to premedicate once early on, no flu sx so I quit taking a drug I didn't need.

I still get the red "injection site reaction" marks. We had to stop using my arms b/c it hurt too much & my thighs b/c of the marks-they lasted weeks!

I also find the auto-injector bulky & awkward. DH does my injections manually, but I can do them is he's not around.

An unusual/uncommon side effect I had was a voracious appetite for the first 3 mos on Beta. It was what I imagine others have with IVSM (IVSM suppresses my appetite-go figure).
      DX 10/2008
      Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
      Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
      Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

Yes, the betaseron mixing gets super easy after a little while. I too could've done it in my sleep. I never really had terrible side effects from it so I was bummed when I started having relapses and switched to copaxone.

Like you, I barely felt the beta injections. I did bruise or get a decent red spot but my skin in sensitive. But, I didn't get the terrible burning sensation like the copax gave me. Really, better was pretty easy for me so I hope it works for you.
        Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

Pros and Cons, now:
          Pros:
          I was used to using a "bulky injector" from using Copaxone, so that hasn't been a problem.
          I am happy to not have to inject DAILY.
          I don't get the itchy, stinging feeling like I did from Copaxone.
          If it does get itchy, later, it's ok to take anti-itch cream!
          Mixing the injection has become very easy, now.
          I don't have to worry about refrigeration for it, if I need to take it with me over a weekend or a week (like on vacation or if traveling).

Cons:
          I do, sometimes, get red spots that last for a few days. They don't usually itch, but sometimes they do.
          I DO get the flu-like body aches as a side effect.
          I am finding that, sometimes, those flu-like body aches aren't just a few times the next day. They have started becoming an almost constant thing.

Proverbs 31 wannabe
          Isaiah 26:3,4 "Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee. Trust ye in the Lord forever: for in the Lord JEHOVAH is everlasting strength."

Comment

Working...
          X