MS and Rheumatology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Rheumatology

I have been having some seemingly unrelated issues with my MS. Quick background is dx in 2000. Now 40 yrs old. Taking copaxone. Fractured L foot in Fall after a day of walking (had great day). 7 weeks in boot. Winter fine. Took long walk 2 weekends ago and now have stress fracture in right foot (boot again).

Calcium fine, bone density fine, told copaxone doesn't make you prone to fractures. I see a PT 1/wk and she recommends I see a rheumatologist to find underlying issue. I also have had bad relapses in both my hands leaving my dominant right hand not very good.

Has anyone here had anything similar or have had good results/findings with a rheumatologist when you went to them with MS? Not really sure what I'm asking ... maybe just fishing a little. Thanks.

Well, if you are fishing I don’t know if this will be the catch you are looking for but it couldn’t hurt… I just finished an excellent book by Dr. Kate Rheaume-Bleue titled “Vitamin K2 and the Calcium Paradox”.

This is the first book I’ve recommended in 5 years so obviously I believe it is valuable. You might be able to find it new for $15 or less for used. It was published in 2012.

You said you were taking calcium? Calcium citrate is absorbed far more readily than carbonate, so my wife and I take calcium citrate as a supplement. Also, if vitamin K2 is lacking calcium gets deposited in soft tissue such as arteries, rather than in hard tissue such as bone. That knowledge alone could be a life-saver.

Vitamin K2 helps direct calcium to deposit in bone and teeth rather than in arteries where calcium-laden plaque narrows the blood flow (atherosclerosis) causing heart disease.

Perhaps, eating kale which is rich in K2 or taking a supplement would strengthen your bones enough to avoid fracture problems and possibly, future heart problems.

Just a thought to pass along for your fishing expedition.

Comment

Thanks! I guess when you cast a wide net you catch lots of different "fish" you'd never expect

Comment

I first encountered the roles of vitamin K1 and K2 when I was researching the effects of warfarin. My Mom takes warfarin which “thins” blood by causing the liver to reduce releasing vitamin K into the blood stream. Unfortunately, reducing vita K can impact osteoporosis (Mom again) because without vita K to direct it, calcium goes to soft tissue instead of into bones where it is needed.

Ideally, the INR number for most people on warfarin should be between 2 and 3. I make sure Mom stays near 2. Taking warfarin for heart problems can weaken bones but many doctors are not aware of that fact, or they believe the heart problem has priority. There is always a certain amount of time before the most recent knowledge is accepted and a doctor is comfortable putting it into practice. Weak bones in an elderly person can turn life-threatening because of the difficulty recovering from a fall. Enough said.

Another fish you may want to look over sometime is LDN. Just Google it. There are MSers taking copaxone and LDN as dual therapy but they are mostly mavericks. It isn’t a cure and it isn’t a miracle drug but LDN has some very solid science behind it and thousands of MSers are taking it. If you don’t have time to follow up on it right now, keep it in mind for the future. You won’t be sorry.

But I am! Sorry I messed up your thread beyond recognition. I hope someone can respond directly to your initial question. Poor girl, you may never go fishing again!

Comment

Maybe check with your primary. It may not necessarily be MS or related. There can be, other medical things causing bones to fracture. Just cover all your base's.

Comment

Working...
          X