• Show
Clear All

Service Dogs for MS; Anyone try...

this?

http://ms.about.com/od/resources/a/balance_dogs.htm

part of the article:
    Service Dogs for People Living With MS
    A well-trained balance dog can be an amazing help to someone with MS, by

I am just curious, has anyone here, tried this? It sounded pretty interesting to me. My balance, has currently, returned.

If it gets that bad again, and lasts as long...this seems like a viable option. Except, I really don't want a large dog to take care of, too! fed

Not a service dog per se

My small York-poodle mix is so helpful to me! luv him! I got him as a puppy, & this was about the time I began noticing symptoms. 7 years later, Iam home bound. He is so smart & easily trained. I often drop things, he retrieves them, or if I point & ask to bring it to me, he retrieves!
    He does not shed either!
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Dawn[/FONT]

Comment

If you don't want to feed/take care of a dog, I don't think any dog is a good idea (service dog or not). It's a big responsibility, and expensive too, even young, healthy dogs.

Having said that, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my little rescue. I can't even tell you what a difference he has made in my life. He's not a service dog, just a mutt from a rescue agency, but he brings so much joy to us. Medicinally, even though he doesn't know it, he gets me out walking and playing ball. I have a huge family, 3 kids and 3 step-sons, so I'm certainly not lonely. He just melts my heart!

I was prepared for the responsibility of owning a dog but completely blown away by how much he added to our lives.
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I have some in sight for you

I have actually been offered a Service Dog twice through the VA. I turned down both offers for personal reasons, even though I love dogs.

I have a toy poodle who is my baby and he is my little angel. He is a companion animal.

A Service Dog is special. Seriously. This dog is an extension of yourself and is afforded all the rights and privileges you have under the ADA.

A Service Dog, won't only help you with your mobility, but are trained to do other things like, carry your purse, pick up things, help you in the shower, open things for you, laundry, and even dial 911. And many other things too...they will literally drag you away from a bad situation,

These dogs are born to dedicate their lives to Service. They have a mission. Most dogs and owners are paired for life.

The dog is giving you 100% of its time and unconditional love to make your life better on this Earth. You must return the favor and show the dog the same. You must also give 100%.

It costs over $20K to train a dog and this money is offered primarily through donations and a bunch of dedicated volunteers.

Thousands of people are on the list to get a dog, they want and need a dog badly. If in doubt, please do not even think about it...let someone else have the dog.

Katie
        Katie
        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
        "My MS is a Journey for One."
        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

I am a limbo-lander, but have lesions, including one in the corpus collosom. So, with that and my symptoms, I'm pretty sure I'm heading toward diagnosis.

I have two puppies right now - 8 and 10 months old. One is very, very smart, but a little skittish. The other is not as smart, but is very confident and people-oriented. Neither are labs/goldens, but they are breeds that have acted as service dogs -Finnish Lapphund and Samoyed.

I'm wondering about getting one trained now with the idea they may be able to help me by the time I need it. Not sure if there's resources to help with an existing owned dog.

Comment

You can indeed train your own dog to be a Service Dog. The animal must meet certain standards and must not be an aggressive breed. It must be able to perform certain tasks.

You can Google this and you will find several resources. If you are considering this, you will want someone with knowledge on how to make this happen.

To be honest with you, if I was to ever get a Service Dog, I would pick my own as a puppy (my choice would be a standard poodle, for me because of shedding) and have someone come in to assist me in the training. Your biggest obstacle is if the dog is "Service Dog" material. Your skittish dog would be automatically disqualified. The dog has to be people oriented and have an exceptionally kind behavior, that is why you see so many Goldens.

Have a trainer evaluate your dogs...I think they would do it for free.
            Katie

Comment

Thanks, my pups have been taking general obedience classes with a trainer since they were 3 and 4 months old. He also trains seeing eye dogs. So, I'm going to talk to him as a starting point to see if he thinks either of the pups are the right material. I also found a local program for self-training a service dog. But I haven't heard back from the woman who runs it.

I think the Finnish Lapphund is a bit too skittish. The Samoyed is not skittish, but can be a bit stubborn. But she hasn't always been, she's just very much an adolescent right now. So I might have to see what happens after they are spayed and grow up a bit more.

Comment

We have 2 90lb. black labs. We live on over an acre of land & i can't always get out so I just let them run( all fenced),but when I'm feeling down,they come & lay thier heads in my lap,it's all so worthwhile.
                Dogs Rule!!

Comment

Service Dogs

Fed Up,
                  I am all for service dogs for the disabled and that includes those of us with M S. I have a service dog and she was trained by Canine Companions For Independence. She is not trained for balance but does know over 42 commands and assists me with dropped items carrying items pushing the handicap door buttons if my hands are full helps with clothing and turns lights on and off opens refrigerator and will carry items from frig to me. That is just some of physical things she does. She also my 24/7 companion and has helped me regain some pride and independence. Yes some work is required but nothing to tough that what she brings me isn't worth the effort. Baila my service dog has been to the doctors offices and hospital and everywhere my wife and I go and has saved my bacon more than one time. As with most of us balance issues are bad at times and worse when bending over for the dropped keys wallet debit card you name it. Baila is always there to retrieve it. Look into the service dog world and if you are serious then apply for one through an accredited organization.Most of which do not charge you to place a dog in your hands. At CCI a trained dog from birth to graduation and placement cost around $45,000 and then placed with a person at no charge. Sorry it is so long but there is so much more I could tell you. If you need assistance give me a shout.
                  Oldschool54&Service Dog Baila

Comment

Thanks, Old School, et al.,

I've long wanted to get a service dog, but had been put off by the requirement to take a week off to attend training, and the cost

I understand the responsibilites involved. I have grown up with dogs and will hire a dog walker.

Right now, my lease won't allow pets. But hopefully sometime soon.

Comment

Ny Jenn

NY Jenn don't forget they may not allow pets but they cannot stop a trained certified service dog. IF you get a chance do a search for Canine Companions For Independence and then take a look at what they offer and see the location for training near you.There are five across the US and while there what the heck fill out an application for one. I was not ready for one as I am still fairly mobile and was being to macho [LOL]. My wife and 2 daughters got the ball rolling and well when the time came and the application process went forward I became more in tune to the idea. It is a long process and not everyone is or can be accepted but CCI will do there best to help as many as they can. If I can be of any help give me a shout.
                      Oldschool54&Service Dog Baila

Comment

Federal Law dictates all landlords to allow Service Dogs in housing facilities to include hotels. Might want to check it out.

Cost can be expensive. Most disabled are able to get the dog for free, but they have to have yearly vet visits, food, bedding toys, etc...so it can add up.

I have a toy poodle right now, he is the love of my life and my empty nester baby. If I ever do get a Service Dog it will be a Standard Poodle.
                        Katie

Comment

Service Dogs

Hello Everyone:

This is my first post on this site; however, I read "MS World" whenever I receive it.

I have been trying to get a service dog for years. However, I am on disability (due to MS) and on a limited income. I have gone to meetings where the topic of service dogs is discussed; however, they are always so expensive.

Does anyone know what I can do? I live in California, Citrus Heights to be exact. I would really
                          appreciate any feedback and help regarding this matter. I have been approved where I live so that wouldn't be a problem. I just need to find out how I go about this.

PLEASE HELP!

Comment

Hi Marlene Owning a Service dog can be very costly with veterinary cost, supplies, dog food, etc. - I did a little researching for financial assistance for service dogs in California and came up with - http://www.doggiedoesgood.org/conten...ce-application This site offers a link to apply for a dog

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals...398#California ( scroll down to Assistance by state)

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/cdssweb/PG82.htm

Go0d luck to you and let us know what you found out - it would be helpful to share your experience!
                            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

i have had helper dogs all my dx time, my current one I am training right now to help with balance she walks right by my side and is tall for me to hold onto.
                              This is a special thing between my dog and I we've not had any special training. but she is sued into me anyway and seems to know when i need her to help me.
                              I have looked into service dogs and have gone to a place called summit dogs in anchorites wa. where they train service dogs. They have a good program and i have known them to gift service dogs to qualified people. they have a web site you can check out www.summitdogs.org i believe.
                              i also have two smaller dogs that are of great help in so many ways, but yes they are a lot of care. and ultimately my responsibility. I am so lucky to have such wonderfull should in my life , even if i have to sacrifice a sock or too or clean up a mess i didn't make...i'm just as dedicated to them as they are to me!
                              another route is to find a pet therapy service that donates time with a trained dog to stay during the day or part time?
                              I wish you well,
                              goldfish0.0

Comment

Working...
                              X