Optic Neuritis and sensitivity to cosmetics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optic Neuritis and sensitivity to cosmetics

I have had optic neuritis for over 10 years and have struggled with finding makeup that would not make my eye cranky. Finally I gave up trying to use shadow and liner and mascara at the same time. Mascara seemed to be the worse-even the kind that is hypo-allergic. Now being retired, the makeup issue is not that big a deal. I swim a lot and frankly the other lady swimmers don't give a rip.

Recently, I have been again looking for some eye makeup and have done some reading about ingredients in all makeup. No wonder my eye was cranky! What with parabens and formaldehyde that appears to be in almost everything that touches me, it hard to find something purer.

Regulations in the US do not prohibit them as they do in Europe. So the majority of companies here produce cosmetics that contain parabens and so forth. So I am wondering if any of you ladies have found some cosmetics that don't have these irritants in them? I have read a lot and found some online but it's like picking a pig in a poke! So I though maybe someone here had found some that was more natural and pure. Lord knows I don't need any other possible toxic substance in my body.

Thanks

lydialou

Yea! I found some paraben free makeup! I decided to replace what I have with something new when I run out of the old stuff. So far, I have used some amazing eye makeup from Coastal Classics. I have used the shadow, liner and mascara and my eyes are happy as can be! Shoot-I haven't used mascara very much in years because the minute I put it on, my eye was practically screaming!

Happy eyes!

lydialou

Comment

Mascara eye irritations too

Hi lydialou,

I am so glad I came across your messages.

I too have had issues with eye make-up irritations especially with the mascara.

I usually don't wear make-up but when I go to church and or out for a formal night, I like to wear a little eye make-up and foundation.

But I always found that I would have irritations with my eyes. By the time the night was over I was in agony.

So I would go without make-up completely.

Now that I read your message, now I can search for make-up free of paraben.

Thank you so much! It will be a great help to me who wouldn't mind looking a little bit nicer when she goes out.
      STR

Comment

I am glad that I could help! I purchased powder that you can use for shadow or as an eyeliner. If you want a liner, you just dampen a liner brush with water and then dip into the color and line your eyes. It is SO easy and looks SO good!

You can make the line narrow or thicker. It was easy to do. I read about doing it on the website and read some of the reviews. And it was easy to do. I promise. I played with mine the first day to see what kind of line I wanted-thin or thicker.

It lasts all day and doesn't fade away. Like this afternoon I washed my downstairs porch while it was raining. By the time I was done, I was dripping from sweat and humidity and my eye liner was still there. :-)

It is easy to remove. I wash my face with Cetephil cleanser and it comes right off.

If you want, you can use a brush and wear the liner as a shadow. There are a bunch of colors. I got the black pearl and its a dark greyish brown and I have used it as a liner. I also got some shell beach all over peach glow to use as a highlighter. Its in the blush section.

The mascara is terrific. I can even use it on my bottom lashes and it doesn't bother my eyes at all. It came with a sample of Midnight Sun which I have used as a liner, too. Its a deep deep blue and looks great. Yes it is blue but it doesn't scream BLUE! Instead it is a deep dark midnight blue and looks terrific with my brown eyes.

I would suggest you get the eyeliner brush they sell unless you have one you already like.

To use as a shadow, just dip you brush into the color and shake off the excess and it looks really good, too.

The containers look tiny-maybe the size of a quarter-but the reviews said they last a long long time. And I can see how that is probably true. You only need a speck of the powder for the liner or shadow. It is an all mineral makeup.

The mascara looks like the size that you see in other mascaras. It comes in black and brown.

The ingredients are listed right there for you to read. You can also check the cosmetic safety database online and check out the ingredients that other products you might be using and see what they have in them and how they could harm your body. The database also has shampoo, bath soap, toothpaste, deodorant and many other things.

Happy hunting!

lydialou

Comment

Working...
        X