X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grrr...another doctor visit from HELL!

Hi all.

Let me preface this by saying two things:

1) The batteries on all devices are soon to kick as I just realized DH unplugged my power cord when putting window fan in & I won't have much time to be online.

2). I am still looking for a new GP and all are still not taking new patients.

So a couple weeks ago I'm in GP's office for regular meds refills and mention I'm having trouble going pee and ask if this could be from constipation. Yup, then before letting me get another word out he goes into another 5 minute anatomy lesson while pushing me out the door.

Within two days in two days I go from the usual minor leakage problem I've had for years, which of course he knows nothing about because I'm never allowed to tell him what's wrong. HE tell Me. Each and every bloody time for 7 freakin' years!!! I digress, my minor leakage to major floods with my being unable to make it to the bathroom, even when I've just left it, and a few accidents in bed.

Now in life, I've had literally hundreds of UTI'S and with each one I've ALWAYS known before getting tested. Painful bladder, peeing fire and all those fun signals. But this time there were NONE of the usual symptoms. Half the time IN didn'y know I had to pee, and the other half the time the urge would hit, then boom I've already gone. It was so bad I waited a week because even with the help of Poise pads I had to send my husband for - after talking to the pharmacy ans having them put it aside - I was still afraid to venture downstairs, nevermind venturing out to an appointment.

Finally made it there on Thursday after trying unsucessfully to reach the MS nurse, neuro and hospital social worker. Did reach the MS Society, who said see your GP and ask for a referal back to your neuro. I ask what, if any treatments and/or meds are available if this is NOT a UTI or is one with MS related loss of sensation, and they assure me that if that's the case there are many different meds and other treatment options available. Okay, I'm feeling a little less freaked out now. Right up until I see ******, er...Gp.

As usual I tried to explain not just the immediate issue but other bowel and bladder problems I've been having off and on for a few years. Nope, got stopped mid-sentence again and told:

"You better hope it's just a UTI because if it's MS related I can't help you!"

Then he runs into his office while staff does dip test and when I follow to try and ask for the referal as I'd been advised to do by the receptionist at the MS Clinic and the MS Society - who both took the time to listen when I couldn't reach the nurse or neuro - he cut me off again.

So yes, I have a UTI, but other than telling "** happens" there was no call to waste the neuro's time even though he couldn't explain why the lack of both the usual symptoms, and the total loss of control/lack of realizing I had to pee, haapened. And before pushing me completely out the door, I got another lecture about all the symptoms I don't have ( but really do if he'd shut up long enough to listen to me), and basically told me to stop looking for problems I'm don't have and likely never will. At least not for several decades.

Okay, enough venting. Thanks for listening Gotta go, battery flashing. Hugs to all!

Hope your doing better!!!!!

I take cranberry capsules every night to pevent UTI's.

Comment

I have been taking those also.....they are working so far.

Comment

Wordsgood, I'm so sorry. You definitely need a new gp -- not sure where you are but I know that in our area this isn't the easiest thing to do. You also REALLY need a referral to a urologist. But of course, you know this.

Do you have another doctor you see for something who could do the referral?

What about going to the ER after a big episode? Two reasons -- one, you could perhaps get a referral. Two, if the ER is staffed by local doctors, that's a good way to get in to a different practice (at least where we are).

Another idea -- find a friend who goes to a doctor you have heard good things about (maybe through an ms group) and have them plead your case to get a new patient appointment. Personally I wouldn't even mention ms -- just the chronic UTIs and now incontenince and that you aren't able to get a referral.

How are you doing today? I'm hoping that you were eventually able to reach your neurologist, and that you are well on your way (or have already had) a urologist consult :-).

Comment

Working...
        X