No announcement yet.

MS & FOOT EDEMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your Blood Pressure is high with the swelling, please have your doc check it out, soon. But, I'd suggest doing that anyway, to be safe.

A little stroke could just make life that much more work.

It just amazes me the things we MSer's take as...just another day of disease situation normal....); we need to be a bit more cautious and make sure it isn't caused by MS. fed

Comment

Both of mine swell. The left more than the right. Living in Miami/Homestead, Fl the humidity causes inflammation of the nerves causing the swelling. I took the oral steroids and boy did they go down. At that time the weather had changed so coupled it was a lot of relief. I'm going to ask my neurologist about this. I'm in a wheelchair most of the time but do stand to transfer, bathe, enter into the bathroom and such.

Comment

SWELLING VS DENTING

OK SO THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE WONDERED ABOUT MYSELF AND HAVE GONE TO MY DOC AND HE HAD ME BUY COMPRESSION SOCKS THAT HURT TO WEAR BEHND THE KNEES... SO FOR ME, IF I LEAN ON SOMETHING LIKE A STEP TO FEED THE DOGS FOR EXAMPLE, EVEN FOR 30 SECONDS, IM LEFT WITH A DENT IN MY LEG, ITS GROSS LOOKING IS THAT SWELLING? I THINK OF SWELLING AS PUFFY NOT DENTING...

Comment

Originally posted by camelgirl View Post
          OK SO THIS IS SOMETHING I'VE WONDERED ABOUT MYSELF AND HAVE GONE TO MY DOC AND HE HAD ME BUY COMPRESSION SOCKS THAT HURT TO WEAR BEHND THE KNEES... SO FOR ME, IF I LEAN ON SOMETHING LIKE A STEP TO FEED THE DOGS FOR EXAMPLE, EVEN FOR 30 SECONDS, IM LEFT WITH A DENT IN MY LEG, ITS GROSS LOOKING IS THAT SWELLING? I THINK OF SWELLING AS PUFFY NOT DENTING...
          Hi camelgirl,

If you press on the location, and it leaves a dent, that would be considered edema. You can read more here: http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/edema.html

I suggest to talk to your doctor, OK? Please let us know what he/ she says.

Good luck ,
          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
            Hi camelgirl,

If you press on the location, and it leaves a dent, that would be considered edema. You can read more here: http://www.drugs.com/health-guide/edema.html

I suggest to talk to your doctor, OK? Please let us know what he/ she says.

Good luck ,
            Thank you that was helpful

Comment

Foot Edema & MS...I really do have ankles!

I'm not sure if this thread is active....hopefully it is!

I have bad swelling in my feet. I used to think it was from the heat and humidity but they have been swollen all winter. I can elevate them, drink more water, move my feet more, use a peddle machine.....not much made a big difference.

My PT told me about on to the therapists had just taken a course of Lymphodema Therapy. It is very intense...3 days a week and a minimum of 3 weeks was booked to start....so it's a commitment. I was on a waiting list for a couple of months before I got in, but I am so glad I did!

It is a very subtle massage on the lymph system. Lots of measurements and the massage and then a compression wrapping of my "bad" leg. It stayed on until I saw her 2 days later. What a difference! I have ankles! On my other leg I wore a compression stocking.

It is amazing the difference we've seen. I'm just finishing my 2nd week and my last appointment will be Friday or Monday. Having my leg wrapped has freaked out a few people because it resembles a cast but you can move and walk on it.

I would definitely recommend this to anyone! My therapist is actually an OT so it doesn't cut into my PT benefits. The real test will be with the warmer humid weather starting.

To the Moderator... I didn't know if I should start a new thread or continue on this one. Feel free to move it if you think it would be best.

Comment

gwynnf, thank you for posting this. I had no idea there was this treatment.

Since one of my legs swells up noticeably much worse than the other, I'm going to ask my doctor about possible treatments.

The leg that swells up is the one where I fractured the fibula years ago. I'm guessing that that is the reason for the swelling being worse in that leg.
                MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10.

Comment

My feet and right hand swell. I have TM and haven't moved much in over 8 weeks, so I am assuming this is the reason. Can't wait to walk again so all of weird things will stop bugging me!

Lisa
                  Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
                  SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
                  Tysabri

Comment

Working...
                  X