Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats

Bryan
    Congrats on being able to stay in! I've been fighting a medical retirement for over a year. The PEB process is bogus but at least you found some kind o way to stay in. If you don't mind me asking, what's your career field. There are currently 116 AF active duty members still serving as of March this year with all kinds of career fields. There are more enlisted than officer still retained. Needless to say I have not been given and reason for denial other than "not compatible with military service". Funny you're still in along with others. In fact, in 2012 the AF retained 7 people with MS. Hope those numbers gave you some insight. All yo need to do to get that kind of info is to submit a FOIA request to AFPC online.

Comment

Hi Peanut....

I'm one of those officers they retired in 2012 for MS and I'm happy for those 116 that have been able to stay on AD. I loved being in the AF but my MS was too unstable which is one of the things they have to prove...stability of disease progression (at least that's what I was told).

Anyway, good luck with winning your appeal, I hope you get to stay in
      Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by Bob698 View Post
        Keep in mind that Hank has mentioned a couple of times that his wife is in the ANG.
        The Guard and reserves can have different regs depending on the state and as far as I know, the rules are a little different than what some of us consider "active duty", especially when dealling with the VA.

(In my case, the Navy owned my rear end outright for six years. I didn't do Guard and was inactive reserve for five years after I got out. That's why I usually don't reply on Guard and Reserves issues. I have no idea how they work. )
        Update on my wife - first off with all this news and other life stressors we decided to go on a vacation. We recently bought a 2012 Ford Fusion car and decided spur of the moment to hit the road. Took a 4 day 2500 mile trip and I must say we were much more relaxed when we got home. It gave us time to talk and think about all the issues in front of us.

All of her test are now done to include 3 MRI's, LP and a lot of blood work. The hospital that she is going to has a web site account for each person where we can email directly to her Neuro, ask questions, see all test results as soon as the are posted, read DR. Notes, etc.. I think all we are waiting on is a few more test results and then an appointment with the Neuro again.

As for her Military, she is AGR, that is the same as active duty but on a guard base. Same pay, retirement, benefits etc as AD. Her job is our squadron unit health monitor, training manager etc so she is very familiar with the regulations and most of the MEB processes but until now it has always been dealing with other people not herself. She has never seen a MS case before so wasn't sure how it was looked upon or judged by the Military. Glad to see some stay in, at least there is some hope.

I think now that we are more educated with the MS symptoms, they seem to showing up more but I think it is just because we are able to identify them. Fatigue seems to be the worst one alog with neck pain, balance issues and eyes. Last week she got glasses, bi-focals. First time she has had glasses so she is trying to get used to them.

When we have a drill weekend we work a 11 day stretch and most are 9 hr days, I can tell this takes a toll on her. She gets very tired and usually takes a day off somewhere through it to break it up and catch up on rest.

Thanks again for all the info, very much appreciated.

Comment

Newly Diagnosed Army Soldier

Hi everyone,
          My husband was recently diagnosed with MS and is active duty Army. We are trying to find other soldiers in the same situation so we can pick up on your lessons learned. He just got the diagnosis for relapsing remitting MS last week and has to now make the decision about treatment. We are anticipating that the Army will start a medical board on him soon. He's over 21 years of service so we are fine with a medical board, but not sure how long to expect for it to take. His unit's leadership have not at all been supportive and it has been a struggle. We're trying to get moved to the Warrior in Transition Unit so he is eligible for TBI program on post and can be with a more supportive group. Was wondering if anyone else has dealt with a similar situation where leadership is not sympathetic about this "invisible" illness...

Comment

Still Active for now.

Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with MS and currently I'm still active. I'm in the WTU, and just waiting for my Neuro appt this week. My family is in NC and that is where I'm trying to go. I was diagnosed after I got back from overseas. I had an issue with 6th Nerve Palsy, and it was later determined to be "probable MS". Anyways, I'm taking the daily injections of Copaxone, and of course they are annoying. As a Active Duty Soldier or as a MS patient, how hard will it be to get on the daily pill instead of these injections? I have been active for 11yrs now and want to fulfill my indef enlistment, but it has gotten to political and I do not have the patience for it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by cjr1980 View Post
              Hello all,

I have recently been diagnosed with MS and currently I'm still active. I'm in the WTU, and just waiting for my Neuro appt this week. My family is in NC and that is where I'm trying to go. I was diagnosed after I got back from overseas. I had an issue with 6th Nerve Palsy, and it was later determined to be "probable MS". Anyways, I'm taking the daily injections of Copaxone, and of course they are annoying. As a Active Duty Soldier or as a MS patient, how hard will it be to get on the daily pill instead of these injections? I have been active for 11yrs now and want to fulfill my indef enlistment, but it has gotten to political and I do not have the patience for it anymore.
              Cjr1980

Funny you mention how political things have gotten! I've served just under 10 yrs and boy have things changed! I am on copaxone also and yes giving a daily shot is annoying. I have been on it for almost four years with no MS issues. I talked to my nuero about switching to the pill but he declined because I am doing so well with the copaxone. Makes sense, why fix something that isn't broke, in my case anyways. I don't know how long you have been on it but if it hasn't been that long maybe you could switch. Good luck!

Comment

peanut,

I have been on copaxone for going on 2 months now. Although it is annoying, I have no clue what the pill would do. From what I have been told, they will not give me the pill because of the track record of the needle, and apparently the pill is more expensive. With that being said, I guess I will continue sticking myself with the needle. My only concern is my kids and syringes being left in the refrigerator. Its all new to me and I will just get a fridge for the "mancave", something in which I've always wanted to do. Thanks for your response, and sorry for the late return.

Comment

I am AD and am taking Tecfidera. It isn't too hard to get. When I am down to a week supply left I have a direct number to the pharmacy and it takes 1-2 days to get my refill.
                  Diagnosed: May 2013
                  Device: Cane
                  MEDS: Tecfidera

Comment

Hello

Hey, everybody, I'm active duty officer in the Air Force. Was diagnosed in 2006, and have been able to stay active. Granted, I've been exempt from the fitness testing for the past 3-4 years. I have an interesting treatment history. I was given Campath (alemtuzumab) in 2009 and again in 2010. It was off-label then, but is supposed to be FDA approved later this year, and will be called Lemtrada. I thought it was great--felt great, had energy, no relapses. Due to highly individualized and localized MTF mentalities, I have since been switched to Gilenya, and have been fairly pleased with it.

I have been active 14 years, and am a medical officer. I am very familiar with the MEB process and governing AFIs, etc.

Comment

Hi

Hello fellow Vets/MSer’s. I’m one of the lucky AD AF who’s status was “fit for duty”, after my MEB. I was Dx’d in 2008 and currently using Rebif!! I’ve never met anyone else in the AF with MS, but I see why (116). It’s been a good run but I’m 3yrs from HYT…trying to avoid the “force shaping”!

Comment

I normally don't post in this forum anymore, but this thread does my heart good .

I am speaking only to the AF folks. It was not to long ago that MS was an automatic disqualification from the Air Force. But the Air Force had a Neurological Cluster (ALS, MS, Brain tumors, and aneurysms) and I was part of that cluster. In fact, I was the most senior officer that got sick. I was a Commander at the time and completely helpless...it all happened so fast. Most lived some died...it was sad.

I fought back and was able to hide the diagnosis with the help of some civilian docs and a few military officials, because at the time the course of my disease was relatively benign. So I made it to a full retirement. Near the end of my career, I was forced to meet an MEB. I asked to make a personal appearance and I took my friend a military lawyer with me.

I told the board a lot, but in short what I told them it was disgraceful that anyone with MS should have to hide the disease and forego DMDs. Additionally, I mentioned how it was illegal to discharge HIV positive personnel until they go into full blown aids. I said if an Airman can meet physical standards they should be allowed to stay in the Air Force Period, Dot, end of story. By the time I was done there were lots of tears...but I think a lightbulb was turned on.

I was returned to active duty immediately with no restrictions. I believe "we" were the first group of folks to survive the MEBs. I actually retired shortly after and went out the way I wanted to.

I am so happy and proud all of you that are ADAF or any other Service as well that fight to stay, and I am glad to see the AF is actually looking at each case and allowing people to stay and start DMD medication.

Having to hide it sucked...I am glad that appears to no longer be the case for everyone.

Stay in as long as you can, keep all your documentation to include MRI reports, and make sure to get all your VA benefits.

In case you are wondering, yes a study has been done, in fact I think it is still going on.

Thankyou for your Service. It is not for the weak...especially when you have MS.
                        Katie
                        "Yep, I have MS, and it does have Me!"
                        "My MS is a Journey for One."
                        Dx: 1999 DMDS: Avonex, Copaxone, Rebif, currently on Tysabri

Comment

hey bryan

I'm active duty and recently diagnosed. I have 8 yrs active duty so will not be staying on. I have started my MEB process only recently.

Comment

Iwdad- was just speaking to my PVA rep about something else and asked him if they rep for AD and he said yes and would be happy to help out, this guy is amazing , he works in Winston in the same bldg as those that do the decision making, so he can just walk down the hall to talk to them. he does not take any crap from them either. If you would like contact info my email is in my profile here, shoot me an email and I will give you his contact info.
                            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

KatieAgain and AF PA, I am new to this site and have AF connection. Saw your posts and would sincerely appreciate if I could ask you a question or two privately. Have not been able to find private message or email option yet on site but will keep looking.

Desperately trying to get a better understanding of MRB process to understand options and can explain situation privately.

Thank you.

Originally posted by KatieAgain View Post
                              I normally don't post in this forum anymore, but this thread does my heart good .

I am speaking only to the AF folks. It was not to long ago that MS was an automatic disqualification from the Air Force. But the Air Force had a Neurological Cluster (ALS, MS, Brain tumors, and aneurysms) and I was part of that cluster. In fact, I was the most senior officer that got sick. I was a Commander at the time and completely helpless...it all happened so fast. Most lived some died...it was sad.

I fought back and was able to hide the diagnosis with the help of some civilian docs and a few military officials, because at the time the course of my disease was relatively benign. So I made it to a full retirement. Near the end of my career, I was forced to meet an MEB. I asked to make a personal appearance and I took my friend a military lawyer with me.

I told the board a lot, but in short what I told them it was disgraceful that anyone with MS should have to hide the disease and forego DMDs. Additionally, I mentioned how it was illegal to discharge HIV positive personnel until they go into full blown aids. I said if an Airman can meet physical standards they should be allowed to stay in the Air Force Period, Dot, end of story. By the time I was done there were lots of tears...but I think a lightbulb was turned on.

I was returned to active duty immediately with no restrictions. I believe "we" were the first group of folks to survive the MEBs. I actually retired shortly after and went out the way I wanted to.

I am so happy and proud all of you that are ADAF or any other Service as well that fight to stay, and I am glad to see the AF is actually looking at each case and allowing people to stay and start DMD medication.

Having to hide it sucked...I am glad that appears to no longer be the case for everyone.

Stay in as long as you can, keep all your documentation to include MRI reports, and make sure to get all your VA benefits.

In case you are wondering, yes a study has been done, in fact I think it is still going on.

Thankyou for your Service. It is not for the weak...especially when you have MS.

Comment

contact info

You are welcome to email me at
                                I am more than willing to help in any way possible. I have been able to remain on AD since my initial diagnosis in 2009 and am grateful for the opportunity.
                                I do not know how to IM on this site, however am willing to disclose my email for your benefit...I have to trust this is a military site and my email will not be jeopardized.
                                Service before self
                                Excellence in all we do
                                Integrity First

**Email address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Working...
                                X