New to MS and Aubagio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to MS and Aubagio

Hi all, I'm 53 but was only DX'd about 5 months ago. My main symptoms are tingling, pins and needles, dropping things a lot (spasticity?) and exhaustion. Oh - and pain but also have pretty bad back and neck issues. I figured out I have MS myself. Read what it said at my neuro's office about it and said I have every one of those.... (Also have to pee a lot at night. No incontinence unless I wait too long but some urgency). Anyway - just took my 3rd dose and - while I had good reason to be pretty furious at my husband, I reacted like I'd lost my mind. I've done that before.... but wondering - since it can affect high blood pressure - if that's why I lost it. I'm scared to death of this stuff. I am not a serious case, really, but I'm scared NOT to take it??? I've never lost the use of a leg. My hands don't work so good... They go dead on me some - like no circulation although don't think that's the same thing. Anyone else have high(er) BP from this?

I don't know much about aubagio, but anxiety is common when you're diagnosed. You are still "in the wilderness", getting used to your new body. So be sure to rest - a lot.

Are you having any anxiety? It's a good thing to check. I know a lot of people with MS who have anxiety.

I'm curious why you chose aubagio and would like to hear your diagnosis story. My wife thinks she has MS ever time I mention a symptom and I could have been diagnosed years earlier if I had only mentioned that tingling I felt when I bent my neck foreword.

Comment

My blood pressure has hit 161/100 at the neuro's before. I have a reliable cuff at home, and here it averages 108/72. It's not high blood pressure in general, it's high when I think about MS, and I was diagnosed a few years ago. If you are having new to you blood pressure issues, that could be it, although it is definitely worth inquiring with your doctor just to cover your bases.

I just did a wash out to clear the Aubagio from my system, but in the 3+ months I was on it didn't have any blood pressure issues with it. I'm just one person, though. If I had to guess, I'd say you were so wild with your husband because your body and mind need to release stress. New diagnosis, new meds, all that fear--the emotions have to go somewhere. That being said, there might still be a physical reason for your reaction, but only your doctors can properly look into that. I'm not trying to say it's all in your mind, just that it's possible that it is an extension of your stress and fear, if that makes sense.

To put your mind at ease, I think you should call your neuro's office and ask for their opinion. If the anger, etc. continues, it might be worth talking to your general practitioner about anxiety meds of there is no physical cause. I was a wreck after diagnosis, and about a year later went on antidepressants for about 6 months, and it gave me the time to center myself and worth through some of the fear and sadness.

No matter what is causing it, I hope you can figure out what is going on. MS absolutely blows, but the stress and fear you have really do mellow out over time as you feel more in control.

Big hugs.

Comment

Thank you!

Thanks to both of you. Stress hit a major chord. I'm actually in the last few semesters of my schooling to become a Special Ed. Teacher and the workload has literally gone up over 10 times the amount of past semesters and I've gone at a snails pace because of never feeling good so this semester is killing me!

I also had my student mentor give me a sub for the first two months at the most crucial time in my schooling (online school) which left me with much less time for all this so I have been a nervous wreck! Besides the fact that, yes, the dx has left me wondering if I can even handle all this.

I love kids. Mine are married and way out of state. I just had a new grandson born that I haven't even met and can't go out till August due to school so also emotional. I also lost my mom last July so miss her, and my BIL and sister are pretty much demanding I go up and move any of the furniture I want of hers cause they are sick of maintaining her property.

My brother passed away 6 years ago this time of year as well and we just passed his birthday AND we're coming up on the anniversary of when my dad died. All this hit right around the full moon. I had GOOD reason to be angry at my husband. He has been a bit out of the box lately concerning personal issues but we have a good marriage overall.

I think I'm just really, really overwhelmed and I'm in pain, too. I see my neuro tomorrow. And I'm on Aubagio, BigA, because that's all that has been offered to me. I have a very full thick head of hair but am slightly paranoid about the hair loss, too, cause my dad was bald and my grandmother had thinning hair. My scalp is tingling. I think that has been there before, though. I'm trying to maintain my balance.

Went to church for the first time in a while yesterday and have been eating better and exercising although not enough aerobics. I NEED that to work off stress! Anyway - thank you both! I think you nailed it.... BTW, my husband and I made up =) He recently retired from the military and usually teaches guitar and plays but pretty much cancelled it all last week so I got that much less done....

I'm doing better today, though. It will be a miracle, though, if I finish this semester successfully! Oh, and I'm on BP medicine so already have BP issues.... I just don't need them aggravated! (My dad died at 38 of a massive coronary - my brother at 48 but both smoked).

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

Working...
        X