Started working out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started working out

My mom is definitely my biggest supporter, and she has been pushing me to exercise regularly to help build my strength back up. She just made me go to her gym yesterday for me to join and she's paying for it. She even bought me 4 personal training sessions (with the trainer she uses, who is amazing! and she also went to school for physical therapy, so she knows how to be careful with my condition).

I just went for the first time this morning, and it was tough for me to climb onto the bike (it's as if my legs have forgotten how to function), but I did that for 15 minutes, sat down and rested for a few minutes, and was able to walk on the treadmill slowly for another 15 minutes! This is so huge for me! Now that my foot drop is gone, I can do more! I have a treadmill at home and the last time I used it, my foot would start dragging around 8 minutes into it, so I only went 10-14 minutes on any given day. With the weakness in my knee area, I still have to be very careful, but it really felt great to see how I tripled my workout time from a month or two ago when I still had the foot drop!

Last week really was not a very good week for me (multiple things I really hoped were going to go my way, but they didn't), so I feel like this is a wonderful start to the new week.
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

That's great, lstrl!

Be careful to not over do it. It's so easy to feel excited about the increase of strength and endurance but it is at those times where you can over do it and slide backwards for a little bit.

Slow and steady is the best approach.

There is an exercise thread in the Basic Health forum which you can check in and might help you stay motivated. Participating in the exercise thread might help you see your own progress over time.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Great news lstrl Love hearing these kind of successes! Snoopy is right tho to pace yourself. I think it's better to "inch" your way up - slow and steady - than going full on. I'm sure the personal trainer will say the same. (Wish I had one....)

And yes, if you want to keep motivated, as Snoopy also said, join us in Poohb3ar's Exercise Thread each week. It's kept me motivated for a couple years now!

It sounds like you have a terrific mom Lucky you!
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks! I'll have to check that thread out. Right now I'll take anything I can to keep me motivated. It's always so hard starting out, and I want this to be a permanent thing.
        Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Good for you! In time it will become a habit like flossing your teeth and you will wonder how you ever functioned without exercising.

I plan to work out regularly for as long as I am able.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Wait a minute! Did I miss something ? You did say that you no longer have ' foot drop '. How did that happen ?
            Anyway, it sounds like you have a great supporter and a great place to work out. I keep repeating ' use it or lose it '. Good luck keep it up

Comment

That's great! Keep it up. Don't push yourself to do more, just be consistent. I built up slowly to where I do 2 Yoga, 3 elliptical and 1 strength training each week. But I built it up over 3 years.

Comment

Awesome!

I really never thought I'd evr be like, "yay working out," but p/t's been kicking butt. Muscles are sore for the first time in years!

I'm transitioning from p/t to "just" working out and it's really exciting.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Keep at it!

I remember when I had my first episode my right arm was so small and weak.

I lift weights and am stronger then I was before my attack.

Good luck, you can do it

Comment

You can do it, yes, you can!

I workout everyday, and it's the highlight of my dealing with my MS. Empowering, and fun in itself.

And I've made some progress in getting my right leg to be the same shape as my left - little by little.

Here's another vote for joining us at the Exercisers Group Check-In. It's a good way to support each other.

Stay lifted,
                    Mermaid
                    "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."

-Henri Amiel

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
                      Wait a minute! Did I miss something ? You did say that you no longer have ' foot drop '. How did that happen ?
                      Anyway, it sounds like you have a great supporter and a great place to work out. I keep repeating ' use it or lose it '. Good luck keep it up
                      I got stuck with it about a year ago (only when muscles were fatigued, it disappeared with rest), and it disappeared just as randomly as it came on. I actually didn't even notice it gone at first. Any kind of weakness I've developed has so far disappeared within a year of it coming on. I'm hoping I continue with that trend since both of my legs are weak right now, and I'd love to have my normal mobility back.

I haven't done much exercising yet, and so far, I'm just listening to my body as I go. If it feels like it's getting rough, I'll back off. I haven't been able to repeat the 30 minutes, but I did do 20 the other day, and I'll take it. I also just had my first strength training session yesterday, and all I can say is ouch! My legs are so sore (arms too but not so bad), but if that's what it takes to help improve some of my weakness, I'm all for it! I can definitely tell a huge improvement from a couple months ago when I was shown a few moves to help maintain the strength I had.
                      Diagnosed 1/4/13

Comment

Working...
                      X