CBC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CBC

Was anyone told that they needed a CBC done prior to their first dosage of Tecfidera?

I was reading the Biogen site and it stated that a CBC should be done to get a White Blood Count since Tecfidera lowers Lymphocytes.

Is this true or is it just on case by case basis and if only Neuro is requesting?

I start first dosage on Wednesday and just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row.

It is recommended that a CBC be done for baseline as Tecfidera can cause lowered white blood cells. I just had this whole conversation with my neuro yesterday.
    Melissa (dx. 3/22/2011)

Comment

Originally posted by LilStep View Post
      Is this true or is it just on case by case basis and if only Neuro is requesting?
      Everything on the Biogen website has to be approved by the FDA so I think that means its true.

The recommendation for the CBC is part of the safety plan Biogen had to put together as part of getting Tecfidera approved by the FDA and it applies to everybody. Its up to doctors tho if they want to have their patients do it or not. It just seems like common sense to find out if somebody's white blood cells are already low before they start on a medicine that could make them go lower.

I would be concerned if my doctor blew off a recommendation that's in the official prescribing information.

Comment

Working...
      X