What kinds of books do you read?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kinds of books do you read?

The BookNook is very well hidden on MSWorld. Not that that is bad, I just don't think it gets much "traffic". That's a shame because since I could read (at least I think so) I have always loved to read.

Two years ago I rediscovered my love of reading and have been reading voraciously ever since! I will read ANYTHING, maybe not Westerns, but just about anything! My preference lately has been mysteries, fantasy, supernatural, young adult, horror (without the blood and guts)

I have a feeling this isn't what everyone on here reads, so what do you read? I also like reading something new every once and awhile. Nothing is better than reading a book some one says they loved and finding you loved it to. Even if you would have never given it a second look.
    Lori
    Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

I've read a series by Nikki Charles that was excellent. Its about werewolves but not scary. I'd have never read that type of book before but I'm sure glad I did! The series is available online for free. Just do a search on the author.
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Originally posted by CaroleL View Post
      I've read a series by Nikki Charles that was excellent.
      I've read that too, it was good.

Right now I'm reading Life After War series by Angela White. It's pretty good.

My next book is by Roger Stelljes The St Paul Conspiracy. He is a murder/mystery writer. The story is set in St. Paul, Minneapolis MN area. Having lived in Mpls for over 20 years I get such a chuckle of reliving the city life through his characters.
      Karen

Comment

Originally posted by lorib View Post

Two years ago I rediscovered my love of reading and have been reading voraciously ever since! I will read ANYTHING, maybe not Westerns, but just about anything! My preference lately has been mysteries, fantasy, supernatural, young adult, horror (without the blood and guts)

I have a feeling this isn't what everyone on here reads, so what do you read? I also like reading something new every once and awhile. Nothing is better than reading a book some one says they loved and finding you loved it to. Even if you would have never given it a second look.
        Except for YA, we have similar tastes. My new guilty pleasure, no pun intended, is "romantica". That's romance novels, verging on erotica, in which the love scenes aren't of the "fade to black" variety. Of course, the detail varies and there's a large selection available for the reader's interest and comfort level. I was never one for sappy romances but these tend to have more "grit", if that makes sense. More realistic personal drama than the pirate ravishing the maiden duchess. Then again, the ones I'm drawn to usually feature vampires and shifters.

A new favorite supernatual series is the Elemental Mysteries series, by Elizabeth Hunter. There's some action, mystery, vampires, drugs and a thousand year old vampire priest with a penchant for Hawaiian shirts and professional wrestling. I love them and am anxiously awaiting the release of the next one in early May.

Comment

Interesting. . . I have read that series by Nikki Charles and enjoyed it. And, I already have the first book for the Elemental Mysteries series on my Kindle. I guess great minds think a like.
          Lori
          Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

Originally posted by lorib View Post
            Interesting. . . I have read that series by Nikki Charles and enjoyed it. And, I already have the first book for the Elemental Mysteries series on my Kindle. I guess great minds think a like.

I highly recommend the series. It's one of the few that actually gets better, unlike the Anita Blake series which went down the rabbit hole after the 8th book or so.

Mini spoiler: Gio is going to be a bit of a jerk for a little while, but totally redeems himself. Carwyn, the aforementioned priestly vampire, is the highlight of the series for me. I loved that the second series ( a marginally separate series featuring secondary characters from the first, but with a continuation of the same story arc) featured him in one of the books.

There are few series I actually buy, but this one is definitely worth buying.

Comment

Romance, travel and a little escape from reality

i have always wanted to visit Italy and it is on my bucket list (the last one that keeps getting pushed down by new ones)

But in loving the country by way of . . .

Travel Series and Videos - Rick Steves.

Movies: Under the Tuscan Sun - Diane Lane
              Roman Holiday - Audrey Hepburn/Gregory Peck
              (my all time favorite)

The latest book that took me away to the land that I have grown to love was

An Italian Affair - Laura Fraser

She took me on an adventure that I could relate to.

Being in my 50's, I remember all too well what it was like being in my 40's, single and wanting to be married.

I found myself transformed in almost all of her adventures of the heart. And yes ladies, there is something to leave to the imagination when it comes to the romance and her Italian man.

Then she came out with her recent book

All Over the Map - Laura Fraser

It took me on my quest of wanting to travel and that ache felt as strong as wanting to be in love and married.

This recent book continues her love of travel, though joyful and scary and she finds her Italian lover again. Only this time it is different for both of them.

Now, in my 50's and happily married to a man who loves to travel and eat, I find that I now only want to see this magical place and to feel the romance in the air with my new love.

While I don't expect for him to feel the same thing as I think I will feel, I know, that at least for him, he will find the love of food Italy has to offer, lol.

Well ladies . . . maybe, just maybe he may feel the love of romance LOL.

Enjoy the books and let me know what you think
              STR

Comment

Reading interests

I read a lot. Usually have at least two books going at any one time.

Novels... Nobel or Booker or National Book Award winners, or other 'notable' books or authors
                Non-fiction... Science (Biology/Physics), Sociology, History, Religion (or anti-religion) mainly.
                RRMS: dx:March '07. Started CombiRx June 2007 - Avonex or Copaxone or Both; Study unblinded Nov.2011 - have been on only Copaxone.
                "e lascia pur grattar dov'e la rogna" (Dante "Divine Comedy")

Comment

Working...
                X