scooter recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scooter recommendations

I am in the process of buying my first scooter. Does anyone have good or bad experiences with Lynx scooters or any other brand suggestions? Would you recommend a 3 or 4 wheel? I'd like to be able to use it in the yard and we have probably a 30 foot decline to get from the driveway to the flat part of our yard. I can still walk very short distances but am looking to use the scooter for going places like the mall or vacations. Do you find that a 7 mile travel range is enough? Thanks for any suggestions!

3 vs 4 wheel scooters

I bought a 4 wheel scooter. 4 wheels are more stable than the 3 wheel models. I wanted something for a trip to San Fransisco and to be comfortable with the hills. Stability is a huge deal. I don't want to spill out on concrete.

I also decided to go for a little more distance (12 miles), because one never knows who they are going to be walking around with, and how far I might need to go. I'd rather have too much in mileage than not enough. The battery is pretty heavy, though.

Hope this helps.

Comment

I would recommend a four-wheel model. I would also recommend that you check it out in person and not by a picture. Make sure the seat height is adjustable, and that you will be comfortable sitting in it for long periods. Also make sure that it has a seat belt and arm pads in case you get fatigued and need to recover. Also make sure that it has a head rest. I hope this helps you somewhat.
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

I like going to a website about scooters ( I like Spinlife) and reading the reviews on the different scooters. If you can, go to a medical supply store where you can try one out.

Comment

If this is your first scooter and it will be out of pocket, I suggest you try Craig's List or E-Bay. I bought one on E-Bay for $300.00 and it has been a blessing. I had to drive 50 miles, but it was well worth it.

Comment

I had a Pride GoGo for several years, before switching to the Go-Chair. It is 3-wheel, and is not as stable as a 4 wheel. It's like a tricycle, and will turn over going up an incline on an angle. It's not suitable for gravel, thick grass, etc.

It is nicely portable. I have a Harmar hoist to put it in the back of my small SUV. When I was more mobile, I could put it in and out of the car by myself.

So, there are trade-offs. Bigger 4-wheel scooters are more stable but smaller 3 wheel ones are more transportable.

Comment

I have a three wheel go go scooter. It comes apart easily into 3 parts. None of which weigh more than 30 lbs. I can take it apart quickly and put it in my SUV by just picking each part up, and they snap back together when I need it again.

Good luck!

Lisa
              Moderation Team
              Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
              SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
              Tysabri

Comment

Another vote for a three wheeler. Sure, you have to pay more attention going up curbs and whatnot, but the smaller size and increased portability are HUGE plusses in my book.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

I SAY..BUY A 4 WHEELED SCOOTER

I've had three wheeled ones and they upset easy in your lawn or grass...and if you have 4 wheels you won't be saying or crying... "help me i've fallen and i can't get up"...
                  Get yourself a carrier that connects to your hitch and you don't have to take it apart to haul it somewhere...
                  MS'ers may not all walk-- but, we can still roll along-so lets rock-n-roll as a power mobility group I do have an extra scooter & Powerchair The cat or my caregiver won't ride with me so maybe you could?

Comment

Working...
                  X