GASTROPARISIS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GASTROPARISIS?

I AM WONDERING IF ANYONE SUFFERS FROM SEVERE ABDOMINAL PAIN. MY NUERO SAYS IT'S GASTROPARISIS BUT MY GASTRO DOCTOR DID THE TEST AND HE SAYS YOU CANNOT HAVE GASTROPARISIS INTERMITTINLY AND THE TEST SHOWED I DID NOT HAVE IT.

MY NUERO SAYS THAT IT'S USUALLY RELATED TO DIABETES NUEOROPATHY WHICH IS NOT ITERMITTEN AND HE IS PROBABLY NOT RELATING IT TO MY MS, WHICH AS WE ALL KNOW, MOST THINGS COME AND GO. MY NUERO FEELS IT IS GASTRO.

BUT THE PAIN IS BECOMING UNBEARABLE AND MUCH MORE FREQUENT, MY APPOINTMENT WITH NUERO IS IN 3 WEEKS AND THIS WILL HAVE TO BE ADDRESSED VERY AGGRESIVELY.

I CAN FEEL MY FOOD MOVE SLOWLY FROM THE STOMACH TO THE INTESTINES AND IT'S VERY PAINFUL EVERY STEP OF THE WAY. IT'S BECOMING MORE FREQUENT AND HAVING TO STAY ON LIQUIDS.

I ALSO HAVE SWALLOWING PROBLEMS SO I SEE THAT AS MY DR SAYS, THE MUSCLES ARE WEAK THROUGH THE WHOLE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM.

BUT IS THIS TRULY FROM MS OR COULD IT BE SOMETHING ELSE? IT'S BECOMING THAT I AM IN PAIN 60-70% OF THE TIME WITH PAIN LEVELS I FEEL ARE BETWEEN 6-8 AND SOMETIMES A 9 ON THE PAIN SCALE.

IS ANYONE ELSE OUT THERE EXPERIENCING THIS AWFUL PAIN? I CAN'T SLEEP AND PAIN PILLS SEEM TO MAKE IT WORSE.

THANK YOU MS FAMILY FOR YOUR HELP.

Help

I've only posted 3 threads, only one has been answered.

I'm in such severe pain and I would just like to know if anyone suffers from a very slow digestive system and what do you do?

Do you have to be in the "in" crowd on this website, I have no support group to go to, this website is my support group.

Comment

Hi Regi Girl,

No, I do not believe that you has to be in the "in-crowd" to have people respond to your posts. I think that people respond when they can relate or they have some advice to offer. It depends on where you post, on the Forum, as some areas are more active than others.

I am sorry that you are having such difficulty. I do have a diagnosis of gastroparesis and slow bowel transit time. I do not have much pain associated with mine. In my case, I was having severe bloating (like I was 9 months pregnant), nausea, GERD, loss of appetite, malabsorption, and occasional vomiting/cramping.

I, too, have trouble swallowing and I have to be careful what I eat. I have even lost my gag reflex so I do not protect my airway well when eating or drinking. Much of this is probably a result of my brain stem lesions.

There are certain medications that can help and certain diets too. Have you seen a nutritionist to formulate a diet containing foods that are easily digested and are low in fiber. Soups and smoothies work well for me when my bowels are particularly slow. Eating small snacks multiple times a day rather than large meals is recommended.

What help have your physicians offered? Have you tried any alternative treatments such as acupuncture, massage or physical therapy using the Feldenkreis Method? These were all helpful to me. Walking or other forms of exercise can help get the bowels moving. My docs had me start magnesium supplements and that seemed to move things along better.

Good luck. I hope you can find some relief.

Comment

Thanks Polo for your respond, yes I am on meds and take mag supplements. I also try to stay on the "MS Diet" as much as possible.

I appreciate your info so much. So you are saying you do not have so much pain with yours as much as trouble with bowel movements.

I will be going to my nuero in about 2 weeks and something more has to be done and perhaps it's not just gastro but something else, because with me the pain is unbelieveable.

Right now I'm a little over a week with this bout and the pain is so bad. I usually don't have extreme pain more dizziness and fatigue really. But this is getting to me terribly.

I hope I will get some more feedback from others with Gastroparisis to find out what their pain level is like.

Thank you again, When I reread that I realized I sounded pretty ill but with this nonstop pain it does make you pretty impatient. I'm sorry for sounding petty.

Comment

Have they checked your gall bladder? I was having a great deal of pain from 2007-2009. It was atypical gall bladder pain so none of my doctors worked me up for it. I then came down with pancreatitis and my primary care doctor became suspicious.

My GI doc poo-pooed the idea but my doc sent me for a Hida scan after a negative ultrasound. Low and behold, my gall bladder was not functioning. I had it removed the following week and I had hundreds of stones. The ultrasound had indicated that I had no stones.

A messed gall bladder can make your life pretty miserable. My pain has been great ever since the surgery. Have you had an endoscopy to be sure you do not have another underlying issue? Could you have, hiatal hernia, ulcers or H. Pylori? As you said, this may have nothing to do with MS. What other tests did your GI doc do? If it is not gastroparesis, then ask him what it is.

I don't have trouble per say with bowel movements as much as trouble with a sluggish GI tract and slow digestion. I do have bouts of constipation but they are usually associated with medications. I can also have periods of loose stools too. No rhyme or reason to it.

Don't apologize about your post. Pain sucks. I live with it all the time. Luckily, I have a high pain tolerance and I am able to separate myself from it for a good part of the day. I am not so successful at night but I take what I can get.

Comment

Regi Girl: I just wanted to welcome you to the boards and let you know that you do not have to be part of some "club" to get a return comment. I am sorry no one has written on your other posts. I agree with the other poster here. I have only mild gastroparesis and trouble swallowing due to brain stem lesions as well. Like you I think you should talk to your neuro about how much pain you are in. I am only on magnesium and prilosec. There are medications that help you. I wish you luck at your appointment and hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes
            Lisa
            Moderation Team
            Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
            SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
            Tysabri

Comment

Thanks for your feedback, but yes I've had 2 endos and 2 colonoscopy last year February and December. They showed nothing, had my gall bladder out in 2003. Had an ulcer but none at this time.

This pain is different from an ulcer, much much worse. I can literally feel my food move down my digestive track from the top of my stomach all the way through to expulsion. During these spells, which are quite frequent now, the pain moves with the food or that seems to be the way it feels to me.

We have been working on this for about a year. My gastro doctor said if it continues to get worse, I may have to have my stomach removed and a feeding tube put in.

I just can't think about that. I feel like I have a pretty high pain tolerance, had 3 children, all natural births. But it's hard to tolerate this kind of continual pain at such a high level.

I will probably call neuro today and see if I can get any earlier appointment.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Sorry, I was not what you had checked or done as far as procedures or surgeries.

Have you tried the diet route or not? Is it a possibility it is Celiac Disease or a food allergy. I have Celiac.

What about massage or acupuncture? Have your tried those?

I think I would get a second, third, and forth opinion at the best hospitals I could get to before I let anyone remove my stomach. There is no guarantee that a gastrectomy would even solve your problems as it may involve more than just the stomach.

Were you able to get in to see any of your doctors?

Comment

What about diverticulitis. I've been dxd with that and it us very painful. Lower abdomen pain that radiates to the groin and lower back. Can't eat anything because it causes more pain.

Dr. put me on antibiotics and a liquid diet for 3 days. Hopefully this helps, because pain is unbearable.

Sorry you were having trouble with no one answering your posts, this happens to me as well. But just continue to post and you will get responses.

Hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I have gastroparesis due to having MS. It causes food to stay incredibly long in my stomach or bowels, without passing through. Annoying and painful, to say the least.

Comment

I TOO SUFFERED FROM THE PAIN.

I NOW TAKE DEXILANT AND IT HAS BEEN A MIRACLE DRUG.

I HAD MY GALL BLADDER OUT AS WELL.

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR PAIN. STAY AFTER THE DOCS AND DON'T LET THE THEM TELL YOU THE PAIN IS NOT THERE.

GOOD LUCK AND FEEL BETTER SOON!!

MS AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES WITH IT SUCKS!!!!
                      DIAGNOSED=2012
                      ISSUES LONG BEFORE
                      REBIF 1 YEAR

Comment

For a Smooth Move

Try Tart Cherry Juice Concentrate every morning. Available at GNC
                        [I]Tellnhelen
                        Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I too am sorry, I did not read before this.

A friend of mine had gastroparesis.

She was being treated with magnesium and ginger root by her neurologist to help it.

She was on reglan for awhile. But, it too, has it's issues. But, maybe less then having your stomach removed.
                          God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Originally posted by regi girl View Post
                            I've only posted 3 threads, only one has been answered.

I'm in such severe pain and I would just like to know if anyone suffers from a very slow digestive system and what do you do?

Do you have to be in the "in" crowd on this website, I have no support group to go to, this website is my support group.
                            If you are still around....maybe your problem isn't something people are able to talk about intelligently, so they are being restrained? Just a guess.
                            But, if this is any consolation, I am going through some bowel issues myself.
                            I had some urinary retention problems, so my doctor put me on Cipro and Flomax to eliminate any possible UTI infection, but a month later I still have weird stools (Flat-ish, and some strange lower back pain) . I saw a urologist last week and he suggested some symptoms I had were MS related.
                            As it turns out MS is a convenient catch all once you are dxed.... It's all related to your MS."
                            Oh, well. I see a colonoscopy looming in my future...
                            Already looking forward to that giant cheeseburger afterwards!
                            Jim S.

Comment

Working...
                            X