No announcement yet.

Cannabis Education: 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our bodies have a endocannabinoid system and mmj supplies cannabinoids.

Each of our brains are much like our fingerprints, individual to only you. Basically the "fitting" of the correct cannabinoid to your endocannabinoid, is practice and trying different strains.

I expect one day our receptors will be studied and messured to show which cannabinoids we need and then the appropriate one/s are given to fill the depletion..

Individualized meds.

If your thc receptors are in fine shape, you cannot even get high from mmj, but few report that. After using mmj for awhile and certain strains, they seem not to work.

Once that receptor has what it needs from that strain, It may quit working. Sometimes, your depletion is daily and ti might lock in to one strain that works all the time for you.

That is a simple explanation of some of the science behind it. Why we switch around with strains. Plus switching strains helps keep tolerance lower.

Because continuing to use a medicine that is finished with the job, it stops working and is not effective.

search You tube for: "The bodies endocannabinoid system."
    And videos from S C Labs. It explains much more.

When my vape would not work for sleep, sometimes I put the bud in a pipe and finished it off and received a different feeling that did put me to sleep.
    It may BE that SW you need to increase the TEMP of your Vaporizer, too! forgot about that.

Temperature also affects your effects.

Well, sure hope this helps a bit? Jut got out my old Skywalker, haven't use it or much mmj in awhile, gonna sleep well tonight. I just get too tired to mess with it and pills, unfortunately are a bit easier.

Oh here is a question for everyone; do you spill or accidently dump it all over. My hoover must have enough bud in to put our Gov't back to work. Hurts to think of the cost of it and have to get Hoover on it.

I keep hoover by, because My Little Dog will eat the stuff and it made me sick and feel horrible the one time she managed to get a crumb off the floor.

For those of you that would consider cannabis, call a local activist group, you don't have to be one, just ask if they know of anyone that is willing to treat an M.S. patient for free.

I prefer to buy mine and not be at the discretion of someone giving me meds they think will work and insist on me using. If it doesn't work for your need, some insist to ignore your desire for a diff strain to find the "one" you need at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Fed Up View Post

Blueberry is a sativa, I use it at night. I managed to buy a bunch of it and keep it.

By far, the oil is the best way for anyone to medicate..but, it is too strong for most of us to just inhale it.
      Where are you finding quality Blueberry?
      That is one of my favorites but very few growers grow it because it is not a very productive plant.(slow grow cycle and small yield when compared to any kush.)

My go to sativa is G13. Good spasm/pain relief with very little head buzz and never sleepy.
      All the Blueberry around here has been cross-bred to increase yield and it has ruined the product.
      (it is not the same as it was 8-10 years ago.)
      The G13 is close in effect but the taste is not there.

Careful with the oils... they can up your tolerance level in a hurry. (but those vape pens are pretty cool)

Comment

tommylees, thank you so much for your input, like I said, I still consider myself new to it...any information and help from each other is the purpose of this thread! THANK YOU

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
        Where are you finding quality Blueberry?

It was $99. an ounce and with my disabled person discount even less; at a collective in Palm Springs called. DVT, I think that is Desert Valley Treatment.

DJ Short's Blueberry is the strain. DJ is in So. Calif so it is fairly easy to get. If one knows the right people you can get "cuts/clones" for growing, from the "original" mother plant..here.

Maybe specifically ask for DJ Short's Blueberry!

My go to sativa is G13. Good spasm/pain relief with very little head buzz and never sleepy.

I tried some G-13 recently, I think I still have it, I'll re-try it. I didn't thing it helped my 'stiffness' and tried the XJ-13--it was a bit better for my needs, at night.

Careful with the oils... they can up your tolerance level in a hurry. (but those vape pens are pretty cool)
        Which is what makes the great for baking with, the Long-Acting. Baking with small dose's should help sleep through-out the night.

Thanks for bringing up those "Vape Pens." I tried one while sitting in the pharmacy of my HMO. There was an M.S. patient there waiting for her prescriptions also and we started talking.

I tried her's (right in the waiting area), it was really cool and was just right, not too strong. I think she said it was a icloud, but don't mark my word for that. Said she paid about $40. for it, but one might find it on-line for less.

No, I don't go around telling people what I use for medication. She told me, "Lady, you ought to try marijuana." fed

Comment

Originally posted by sw8689 View Post
          Misslux, I too have that concern and wasn't going to get a license or even a Referal, until i was asked if i was interested in being part of a research and development study, and i need to be licensed for that. Since we are schedule one, its not even a prescription, more of a referral/confirmation of our diagnosis. And with that document we can purchase from a dispensary. i dont beleive that document goes anywhere, but in the doctors file and your hands, a copy to the dispensary. Having said that, I can certainly understand the concern for privacy, I'm a bit leary about it too. The license to possess and grow etc, all go to health Canada and I have done the whole thing. Yikes!
          Did you ever get your Health Canada approval? My neuro agreed to sign for me so I think i'm going to apply just in case the clubs start disappearing after March 2014.

Comment

Update and Progress on my Journey

First, sorry Misslux for not getting back and letting you know,yes I did finally get all of my papers, but it wasn't without challenges.
            Both my GP and Neurologist were not in favor. I consider both to be excellent physicians and relatively up to date, buts neither had any knowledge of the newer studies of cannabis, inflammation markers and Cannabinoids or anything. I was truly disappointed as I felt I couldn't even send them the information. But as you know that didn't stop my from trying. So here is my update:

I tried different strains and used a vaporizer for months, however I have some asthma and also found that I was laying awake for an hour or longer after vapeing before going to sleep and I didn't like this so I switched to a tincture.

I buy a pure indica tincture from the compassion society. I take a few drops before going to sleep at night (I don't like feeling high so I take it before I sleep although it doesn't make one particularly high!). At first I was skeptical as to the extent of benefits beyond pain management.

However, it although it has a good effect on my pain, its benefits are way more than that. It got rid of my tremors! Completely got rid of them. I was told they are multifactoral, and it now is apparent they are from spasticity as the tincture has reduced spasticity better than baclofen which I have now reduced by 50 %. I believe it reduced my overall inflammation and increased my good health and mood.

So for some reason, as I will do with other medicines now and then, I got lazy and stopped taking it as regularly as I should, so I when I was starting to have pain and some tremors etc, I realized there is likely a correlation to not taking my tincture every night so to be sure I stopped completely for two weeks. My physiotherapist was in on this little experiment too! Within a few days my MS acted up, tremors came back, my pain level was getting unbearable and I couldn't take care of my lovely granddaughter.

So back to the nightly tincture. I was sleeping through the night and my symptoms started to subside again! However, it did take a few weeks to get completely on track. I was amazed at the extent of effectiveness of this herb compared to the all of the other medications I still take, but at the lowest dose now prescribed! I have also reduced my zoplicone by 50% and will start reducing my baclofen again soon.

Anyway, all of the latest studies if anyone is I interested and need the medical side for their physicians are in PubMed, in the medical journals 2011-2013. Search words are Cannabinoids reducing inflammation, cannabis and pain etc.

If you're new to this site, this thread started by Fed up, is a wealth of information! Please read all of Fed Ups posts if you can't read all of the posts.

I urge anyone with MS to try this, even if they don't have pain, I believe this reduces our inflammation markers and helps our MS in the long run.

Comment

Getting settled down in this journey

What a great time for MSWorld to decide to send me notifications again. Thank you so much to the previous poster.

This has been such a long and hard journey: connecting with this page was the very beginning, learning Oregon's laws (and crazy, crazy rules), on to learning so much about the plant, learning strains, finally into pcp who I thought was with me--nada. Getting an outside physician, getting the records, having the appt (oh, I forgot--finding a grower). On an on. But finally, to the PO to sending the whole app registered and then being legal because of that proof. Finally the real card came.

Doing the strain search at the same time as figuring out what my body wants. I think it takes a very long time for it to absorb. I am a desperate insomniac. I can't get to a point where I feel like I can just get up and go right to sleep. But I wake up with not all the effects worn off. My guess right now (next trial) is that I take it too late. So I'm upping the time.

Then I will address, I guess, the how much. I need/want to find the strain that really works. I've done bubba kush, raspberry kush, OG something, medibles--good, but nothing), putting the tarry stuff in with the dry herbs in my little vape (I'm not sure that is working the way I want).

I have an old tincture, use that. I know how to make them and can hardly wait until I find a strain that I know works. My grower brought me a tincture made with kosher glycerin. Soooooo sweet. I really couldn't handle it.

Long, long journey. Would love advice. Thank you for reading.

Pat

Comment

sw8689' thanks for the update!

The clubs still don't know what is going to happen so I'm going to stock up before end of March and get my paperwork in order for when I see my neuro in May.

And aren't the recent conservative anti-weed commercials just ridiculous? UGH.

Comment

Anniemoore, my tincture is pure indica as I wrote and extracted by alcohol. It tastes terrible, so I mix it with a tiny ( 1/4-1/2 ounce) of amaretto or anything with a strong flavor. Nothing so far puts me right to sleep, after taking half a 7.5 zoplicone (pre cannibas it was a full 7.5) and my tincture, it still takes me 45-60 minutes to feel sleepy, and if I don't catch that sleepy wave, I lose it and I'm awake! Also, the compassion society taught me that more is not better, in fact if I take more than just 3-4 drops, or one to three capes, it will keep me awake for a long time, but once I konk out, I'm out for the night. Whew, that was long..

Misslux, thank you for reminding me! I must go buy my tincture and make sure I have a lot on hand. I don't use much but I had better make sure I'm well stocked. I have tied seen the adds, I will google them. But the whole scheme is totally ridiculous! The government could be making great tax revenue on this, they need their head read!

Comment

Oh, and further to that last post of mine..it's not that I think we need more taxes..it's just there are so many ways to do this that is much better but this isn't the place to discuss that.

Comment

They are smear campaign radio ads and so ridiculous IMHO.

Google "Conservative radio attack ads target Justin Trudeau" and it is the second audio commercial.

Alcohol does and has done more damage than weed! I can go to doctors and get narcotics no problem, but I have to jump through hoops to get weed!

Comment

I've been using a new method to medicate: Expresso with mmj in it and some cinnamon(when i started putting cinnamon in with the cannabis/coffee--it seems to have lifted my 'Cog Fog' too. Or else, it is a co-incidence.

I bought a little expresso maker and put 1/4 teaspoon of ground flower/bud in the container with the ground coffee. I use a Bold tasting coffee; like French or Italian roast. I add pre-heated(microwave) cream when it is finished and then drink it.

The expresso machine heats to 220degrees F and release's the THC-a; Slightly below the 240degrees F, needed to decarboxylate the mmj and releasing thc. I am not a fan of the thc, during the day.

By doing the above, the psychoactive component to the cannabis is not activated and the thc-a is extracted from the plant.

THC-a is an anti-inflammatory, which we need for our M.S.

The THC is not activated and I don't get high or anything else annoying. Just more quality of life!

This gives me energy from the caffeine and takes my spasticity, stiffness and pain away, and NO negative side-effects.

If anyone else has tried this, please let us know your results.

Lately, i have been using Bubba Kush for sleep and now I switch back and forth with other Indica's, for sleep. The Bubba Kush is slow in acting and when it does..I never recall when, when I wake up, in the morning. Using skywalker OG, pineapple express. I rotate them.

My quality of sleep might be due to being more active, during the day...with the expresso/mmj concoction. It doesn't make a difference which strain I use in the coffee.

For sleep--this one is a rascal and takes an effort, too:
                        I switch between the BubbaKush with other strains. Blackberry x Kush (same thing, no instant sleep, just a gradual sleep, kicks in around an hour later). Pineapple OG worked pretty well, too.

Blue Dream did not work as well, for me.

My quality of life has improved, a great deal. Not cured, just manageable with less effort. fed

Comment

Hi Fed!
                          My espresso machine is a nesspreso so I have capsules, do you think, I could heat cream or whole milk to 220? With the bud in it of course. I would like to try this.

Comment

Fed, thank you for the awesome tips. What strain do you like for daytime? Sometimes I like Jean Guy, but like you, I'm not really interested in getting high. Just want to reduce pain and spasticity and feel better overall.

At night, we like the kushes too and also Northern Lights. I found Blue Dream WAY too strong and it made me really lightheaded and nauseous.

Comment

Originally posted by sw8689 View Post
                              Hi Fed!
                              My espresso machine is a nesspreso so I have capsules, do you think, I could heat cream or whole milk to 220? With the bud in it of course. I would like to try this.
                              Yes, you can! The cream has more fat in it (coffee beans have oil that do it too) and that absorbs the resin/medication from the plant material better. My problem with doing that is, the taste.

Perhaps, put some flowers in a cheesecloth(make a ball and drop in, so the cloth doesn't make contact with the heat/fire, and let it heat in that until it is at 220, if you can, let it sit at that temp for a few minutes (not very long)and see if you can get more of the medicine.

Squeeze the cheesecloth ball clean of liquid back into the cream and you might consider tossing the remaining used bud (from the cheesecloth) in some baked cookies or brownies and see if you can extract more medicine from the same buds. When you have a few more samples, to test with.

Ingesting the mmj can cause indigestion and over-active bowels. Which normalize a Crohn's patients and treat IBS, well...in low dose's.

In the oven the temps are much higher and it may yield the remaining cannabinoids and thc, for times you need to feel 'good' and aren't going anywhere.

Once I put my buds in with the coffee..it comes out as a clump with the coffee grounds and I toss it. If I weren't able to buy my mmj in bulk, I'd be using that method.

I made a larger batch of cream from making another product and rinsed and heated the measuring cups and jars with the cream..and I used that. With the taste...It just spoiled, as I didn't like it and have other options. If I didn't, I'd be using this method.

Cinnamon might make it taste a bit better, too?

I'd test it on a day or evening, you aren't going to do anything, just to be safe and make sure it works. If the temp accidentally gets to 240 degrees..the result will be much different-infusing thc (for the day, I don't want that); you'll be high for hours. Be careful with your temps.

The expresso keeps me painfree for at least 4-6 hours, depending on my activity. It is so nice to find a method to medicate and not be loopey! In the early evening and I feel like a cup of coffee..I do it with caffeine free coffee.

The reason to use a cheesecloth is to get the material back out, squeeze it clean of the liquids, as much as you are able. The plant material, if ingested can cause some indigestion, if you aren't accustomed to eating it.

Since, I've been doing this, my IBS symptoms have subsided. Drink my expresso--to the bathroom and done for hours, too!

The quality of my daytime life has improved so much! I hope this for you, as well!

It has been raining here for over 24hours and I had some expresso this morning and still wanting to get out...the energy I get from the combination, is unexplainable.

I'll find a recipe and post, how most make their cream. i wasn't using cinnamon, back then. I bet it might taste better with the cinnamon?

Please KNOW, THIS MAY WORK DIFFERENTLY ON YOU, THAN ME. Never plan to go anywhere, until you feel good and safe with your medication, any new medications..just as the bottles warn.

I just like the clearing of my 'Cog Fog' and feeling a bit like...NORML, for a day! jpt

Comment

Originally posted by misslux View Post
                                Fed, thank you for the awesome tips. What strain do you like for daytime? Sometimes I like Jean Guy, but like you, I'm not really interested in getting high. Just want to reduce pain and spasticity and feel better overall.

At night, we like the kushes too and also Northern Lights. I found Blue Dream WAY too strong and it made me really lightheaded and nauseous.
                                A M.S. patient in the upper mid-west used some Blue Dream and found it took very little, to work. I tried it 2 years ago and didn't like it; then I bought more, after they told me of their success with it, I still don't like it. Doesn't mean it isn't good for someone else.

I have some plain ole OG (probably OG Kush) that I use during the day and still get the same, desire effects.

My #1 strain choice is Pot 'o' Gold by Flyin Dutchmen's seeds. Unfortunately, I paid $75/ounce for it, in close-out prices..it was low quality looking buds but, it works fabulous and doesn't mess with my balance issues, like other strains. I just love Pot o Gold best, for anything M.S.

I haven't tried Blue Dream in the expresso/coffee, yet! I'll grind some up and try it. Never know, it might act like the Pot o Gold.
                                Tomorrows coffee is already set up. I have to get it ready the night before or, I don't have enough get up and go, to fix it in the AM. I'll post the results, when I try it.

Generally speaking, mmj buds should not make you nauseated, generally speaking; that comes from buds that have not been 'flushed' properly, prior to harvest. I'd definitely mention that to the 'caregiver' and request the buds be totally organic and flushed at least 2 weeks, prior to harvest. Just to keep things simple, right here.

Some growers get a bit anxious and can skip that process of the grow. One of the things I love of CO's laws, all the plants are on a camera from seed to patient and they can prove what they are doing. Sometimes, stuff just happens and that little step can be bypassed.

Here, most is sold from a collective/dispensary and they hire kids from the college to be the bud tenders..and they have no clue of how it was grown.

I enjoy feeling better and avoid the highs, at all cost! fed

an afterthought; for the purpose of the coffee, you can buy 'shake' at a lower price, often. I use to do that, if money is an object. Now, I just find it cheaper mmj buds in bulk.

Trim and shake are cheaper and often used for baking purposes. Hope this helps! fed

Comment

Working...
                                X