No announcement yet.

Cannabis Education: 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yay! Thanks Fed! I will google that, now I just need to experiment with dose too. So if I can't find it on google I could start with one drop as the dispensary suggested right?

I'll let you all know how it goes.

Comment

I've been too worn out to interview my spouse and write up what she's been telling me, but she wants it up here, so here's what she wrote:

This is bwmorris' wife here. I use MMJ for bipolar disorder, PTSD, and agoraphobia. I think once hubby has been diagnosed, he may give it a try for MS, as well (assuming that is what he has).

I was never taught how to use a vaporizer, so I figured it out on my own. This is what I do (please others share if I am doing it wrong!). First I grind my herb. I use a piece of a bud about the size of a few dimes stacked on top of each other. I have a small grinder that fits just enough for one full chamber in my vaporizer. Then I fill my vape chamber full and put the lid on. I wait for the temperature to go up and then I start inhaling. Beware that many vapes come with a plasticy taste to them at first that will go away with time.

I inhale in long slow breaths. Don't feel bad if you cough, especially at first. Just inhale what you can handle into your lungs without coughing and let it go. I've heard people say that it doesn't matter if you hold it in or not, but I usually hold it in for a second or two and then blow it out. It used to make me cough less (when I was getting used to it) by blowing out my nose instead of my mouth. I then take multiple hits over the course of about 15 minutes. For me that means a hit or three every minute. My vaporizer has a timer and turns off after 15 minutes, so I go about as long as it takes before it turns off. I know I am getting the most out of the first hits than I do out of the last hits, but I don't want to waste any. I read in youtube comments once that one person takes multiple hits, one every minute on their vaporizer. That was the only place I could find anyone actually telling you how many hits to take!

Speaking of youtube, there are plenty of instructional videos out there about how to use vaporizers. They don't tell you how to inhale, but they do tell you how to use your vape etc.

I hope this helps you!

Comment

Thank You Mrs. Morris; pretty detailed and sure hope it worked.

sw, I use to cough it up, but some of it still works. There have been studies done and (just like some prescription inhalers) holding it in for 5 seconds is optimal time, if you can hold it in; I don't like to, so I don't.

You want to vape like Mrs. Morris said, don't get too rapid or you'll be hyperventilating. Just take your time.

Since, i am the only one that use's it, I use the entire thing anyway and waste plenty, I am sure.

Bubba Kush...Pleasant dreams, I expect we won't hear anymore until tomorrow, after a really good nights.
        fed

Comment

Yup Fed, it was a really good nights sleep! Not too high at all, as a matter of fact, didn't feel anything much other than relaxation and very tired. Woke up, no back or neck pain (car accident related..) and very mellow all day. Overall had a very fatigued day, but it started raining last night and when the weather changes fatigue is normal for me, so I'm not yet blaming my new friend bubba!

Best back day I have had in a month! Yay!

Bubba and I will be hitting the sack early tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by sw8689 View Post
            Yup Fed, it was a really good nights sleep! Not too high at all, as a matter of fact, didn't feel anything much other than relaxation and very tired. Woke up, no back or neck pain (car accident related..) and very mellow all day. Overall had a very fatigued day, but it started raining last night and when the weather changes fatigue is normal for me, so I'm not yet blaming my new friend bubba!

Best back day I have had in a month! Yay!

Bubba and I will be hitting the sack early tonight!
            CONGRATS!!! Bubba is a pretty good medication. That is why I like the stoners behind the counter, they really do know their stuff, even if they don't have the same disease.

The collective I loved, got rid of the stoners and now the advice is bad. Haven't been back. Not that I condone stoners behind the counter--but, my experience has told me, they KNOW their buds! fed

Comment

Had to take a week break. I had a meeting with a really great grower who has a dispensary sells to and buys from. He is thoroughly educated in all things cannabis and making new discoveries every day.

At the end of the day though, I don't think I can afford it. I walked his plants with him and saw the exhausting work it can be. I had a pretty clear indication of the set up including soils, seeds, outside wind barriers. inside seeds, etc. You all have learned what I am now learning. He has worked the costs out several ways and says the best for both is just to charge $6 per gram. It seems more than fair, but still would take a huge toll out of my small monies.

I will let you know how it all goes down. More studying to do.

Thank you all again,

Comment

Dearest Anniemoore, I'm sorry times are tight for you, I have been there and I'm really sorry, it can be very hard. Some growers will give a percentage of their harvest free to the compassion club her in Vancouver for those having difficulty with the ongoing cost. Maybe you can find that in your area?

Also, because I have chosen to vape and only before bedtime, a gram has lasted me five days. So my cost will be about 50.00 a month if I'm paying, at least to start, i figure..The grams seem to last a long time when you vape, it's the edibles that take up a lot more, I think..Fed, can you help with this part. How many more grams, does it take to make edibles, oils, milks, and teas, etc to make?

My cannabis dr. Wrote five grams a day in my recommendation document. I could not imagine vaping one gram a day let alone five!!!

I hope this helps you a bit in some way.

Comment

sw, I have serious fatigue issues daily, no relief. The kush's do not affect it the next day...on the few good mornings, I do have. I just got some Hindu Skunk today, I loved the Hindu Kush for sleep, so it should be interesting.

I also got some G-13, our Government's strain used for the study in the '60's. Works pretty good for pain and total relaxing after 2 little tokes. More and It might put me to sleep, which is where I am headed after this post.

AnnieMoore: The $8 a gram must yield generous hourly wages, which many include in the cultivation costs! LEARN for free and all you can.

Outdoor growing can be done with what is called AutoFlowers..they are short and runt like, don't require so much pampering or 'blocking.'

That is pretty cool to know a grower and see what all it takes to grow! Two large regular outdoor plants should provide enough medicine for a year for one patient.

It really doesn't cost that much to grow outside with natural sunlight. $5.00 a gram yields some pretty good bud here.

My favorite strain Pot O Gold for my symptom management was $99. an ounce and an indoor or green house grow.

Big lots sells tiny 'greenhouse's' for about $200 or less and should be adequate. Google the little greenhouses at home depot.

Right now is harvest season and prices should be a tad lower.

You have the right idea though, grow your own. Once it is set up, the cost is considerably lower with subsequent grows.

There are sites you can visit that have forums for growing with disabilities too!

I've had some Jack Herer strain around for a few months, just tried it yesterday..IT lowers my bad blood M.S. pressure!

Modern medicine hasn't been able to do that! fed

Comment

Fed, you are awesome! I hope you had a good sleep!
                    I was in the MRI tube last night for two hours!! And today I'm exhausted.

And..I was wrong, my gram of bubba, lasted four days, I ran out last night and used the "unknown" brand.

I've yet to use the cobra oil, think I will tonight..

I'm so grateful I have a grower providing mine for free soon. Even though I can write it off, and with proper budgeting (which I never do..) I should be able to pay for it.

Fed, is there a non profit that assists MS patients who need to grow their meds but don't have the resources in the us? And in individual states that you know of?

Comment

sw, no non-profit that I know of. Many 'vendors' or 'caregivers' are simply in a position to help others and will. It is pretty much what one is able to do for others. Hope to make my oil very soon!!!

Go easy with that cobra stuff, if it is like most oil and waxes, it may be as high as 68% thc or much more! But, the CBD's should be even higher! fed

Comment

Hey Fed, I've been going through the posts to look for the best strains for sleep, spasticity, and nerve pain. The person who is doing the research just ordered seeds and is ordering more and has asked me to give him a list of what I would like to try?
                        So far I said:
                        Bubba Kush
                        Girl Scout
                        And that's about where it ends..do you think you could recommend a short list for me and others in one post that we can refer back to now and then?

Oh, and how was the Hindu Skunk?

Comment

For spastcity and pain I LOVE Pot O Gold Strain, I think it was a 3rd place winner at the cup in 2003. I can't find much on that strain but, it is my absolute favorite medical strain for pain, spasticity and cognitive function.

if inhaled it tends to mess a little with my already problematic 'balance' issues. placed in a mr. coffee expresso maker and it corrects the balance, improved cog function and abates the pain and spasticity...makes me fell totally NORML. Ooops, I forgot, it also helps with energy for the fatigue--most importantly, as well.

Girl Scout Cookies are very similar to the Pot O Gold, I simply prefer the Pot O Gold for a one strain feel norml and good!

Girl Scout Cookies is easier to find and buy. If they order the Pot O Gold...no one will be disappointed, at all! Expecially patients with M.s. I've tried tons of strains and those are the 2 most outstanding 'complete' meds I've had.

Jack Herer is high in CBD's and thc, but it seems to handle my blood pressure and even bladder issues. But, does nothing for pain.

Hindu Kush, my all around favorite...go to sleep strain!!!

Just about any kush grown properly and late harvest with at least 15% rusty trichomes, will put you to sleep.

I sure hope these scientists check on Rick Simpson Oil and try to do a bit more than simply treat symptoms! Just made my own oil this past week! fed

Comment

Great! Thank you, as always!!

I purchased a whole lot of bubba kush yesterday, but I'm not sure about it compared to the last grams I got. It didn't help keep me to sleep last night? I actually felt like I was awake most the night but don't know if I was just dreaming or if I was awake or not?

I've had a rough go the last week or so, so it may just be that my ms is flaring. I had bad leg pain (nerve pain) and burning feet, and haven't that for quite a while. And yes, the bubba really helped!

It will be nice to have a specific grower, and work directly with a group that is developing strains for medicinal use, I won't worry about pesticides and moulds etc. and overall quality control.

Thanks Fed!

Comment

Good information, thanks Fed Up.

I have been Dx 15+ years and have been using MMJ for more than a decade.
                              Here in Colorado MMJ just keeps getting better and better. The selection and availability are just fantastic!

It seems to me, what work best is not the same for everybody.
                              For me personally, mixing it up and changing what I use seems to increase effectiveness. I use sativas daytime and indicas at night but I change strains often.

Like any other drug I have used, at first it made me pretty wasted but after a week or two I adjusted to it and I never feel stoned now.

I take a hit before each meal (even breakfast) and before bed about 4-6 hits per day.
                              It takes care of symptoms I used to take 6 different medications for. (trade 6 for 1)
                              Cheaper, fewer side effects, easier to manage than a cocktail of pharm drugs.

The only down side is the stink and the stigma.
                              I mostly smoke it because that seems to be the quickest most cost effective way to use it.
                              Yes I have a vaporizer (takes too long) and really makes me stink like dope.
                              Yes I have eaten it... Works amazing but way too expensive and gives me BO like a walking grow house.(not easy to hide.)

I have no wish to make my life about marijuana drug laws. (I'm kinda busy with MS)
                              I use marijuana because it works. I wish we could stop all the legal wrangling, refine marijuana into a stink free pill or patch and forget about it already.

If anyone considering marijuana would just stop and read the possible side effects and compare them to ANY other drug including over the counter drugs... they would probably start to reconsider the safety of their current treatment plan.

MMJ is not a cure, it is a management tool. (and it works.)

If someone has anything better I am all ears!
                              Not a smoker, Not a stoner, Don't like drugs or getting drunk or wasted, I use marijuana everyday.
                              (after more than a decade of use, no addiction, no change in need, no unmanageable side effects)
                              I give it two thumbs up!

Comment

Tommylee, thanks for the input..I agree 110% with you and thanks for bringing the --switching up strains. I believe that is a key factor.

I'd b ready for a patch yesterday! I don't like smoking or even using it. Not because of the stigma, finally at an age and comfortable with life not to care. But, started using at age 55. So, still learning myself.

I can get a strain one time and it works, the next time, it is different.

Like you TL, I switch up during the day, when I am using. Finding a sativa that hits the mark, has been difficult. Especially for the 'cog fog' I had THC Bomb strain and it seemed to work. But, it is not available--it was on an activist trip to Sacramento I tried it. The best part of activism is getting to try some decent stuff.

SW 68; For sleep, try to buy bud that has some AMBER TRICHOMES, it is a later harvest and induce's sleep better.

Ask them if they can show you the trichomes. If not, go to Radio Shack or anyplace that might sell a magnifying glass, a minimum of 10X' (I need a bit stronger with my eyesight issues). Look at those crystal things on the herb.

trichomes look like a ball sitting on top of a pole, and the ball's much larger than the pole supporting it. The Trichomes can be

CLEAR---harvested prematurely, which WILL KEEP YOU AWAKE.

CLOUDY: Harvested when just 'ripe.'

% of AMBER: This Amber color will induce what is called 'COUCHLOCK." That is what you want for sleep.

THE MORE AMBER THE MORE COUCHLOCK AND SLEEP.

@SW, if it Wears off, consider that oil or wax, whatever that was you had. Ingested oils are not effective for approximately 2 hours, often you might feel some "high" right away, but after 2 hours it will start and keep working throughout the night.

Something about the oil ingested in a pill is, it doesn't seem to effect the fatigue issue, in low doses. Dose and STRAIN plus, color of trichomes are as important as Sativa, Indica and Hybrids.

I stick to sativa or indica, like TL does. And smoke for symptom relief. Sativa for daytime and Indica for night.

If feeling symptomatic and needing a bit more than sativa, you can grind and mix the sativa/indicas erb for effects. More sativa for uplifting, more indica for pain and relaxing.

It only takes, as said, a toke or two and wait. Some herbs don't even start to work for 45 mins plus or minus, so you don't need to overdo. The ones that do that are often called..."Creepers"

I get tired of waiting for the vape and preparing my meds. If people knew what a process and how time consuming it all is, they'd realize, we don't do it for fun.

Girl Scout Cookies was like that the first time I tried it. I felt pretty good right away and felt it work and intensify over an hour or so. But, there are 2 different types of that and I am not sure which I had. only problem is, it screws with my balance issue, so I don't even bring it home. But, I may, since I cannot find any Pot O Gold.

Blueberry is a sativa, I use it at night. I managed to buy a bunch of it and keep it for a 'backup' for comfort.

Experiment with different strain. I fell on that advice, because the dispensaries don't carry certain strains and switch up what they sell anyway.

Oil/Wax Baked in a brownie, cookie or something is what one gal did for her aunt with M.S. and how they preferred to medicate.

The oils are very long acting. Which is why I said you need that. And to cook with it. Make it into some brownies and a brownie at bedtime, might be more satisfying and last much longer with oil/wax in it. It doesn't take much and when I have medibles, I prefer them at night, as I find it difficult to sleep on an empty stomach.

Also, when you eat or inhale or however, it is a bit stronger on an empty stomach. That might help, at night also. I medicate and then I'll eat something if it doesn't put me to sleep right away.

It will be EXPERIMENT WITH DIFFERENT STRAINS. Over time, I just bought different strains to see how I liked them and the collectives don't keep every strain in stock.

They switch up and change to newer strains. I have several different ones around here and switch up.

By far, the oil is the best way for anyone to medicate..but, it is too strong for most of us to just inhale it.

What works for you, may not work for me.

Some other strains I've used in the past for sleep; northern lights, Skywalker--I keep plenty around and just got tired of it. writing this now, I'll pull it out tonight, I've been having problems at night, too.

I take "Holidays' or Tolerance breaks, from my meds to reduce tolerance and amount required.

Stay away from "CLEAR TRICHOMES" I call them 'closet cleaners" it is so potent if the house was clean I would clean out the closets. So, be real careful with that.

Experiment and find what is right for you.

If you are starting a Flare, the oil would be preferred. did you watch the U tube video; 'run from the cure.'

After taking the oil, I realized, it wasn't curing me--and wonder if it takes a larger dose. Well, I don't expect a cure, but it is something to aim for!!! If we aim for the ground, that where we'll end up.

Reach fort the sky and like the one husband here..Never Give Up! fed

P.S. never thought I would enjoy or like the taste of pot, but I stumbled on some Humboldt Haze and what a delightful tasting smoke! I love to taste it so much, I don't even recall if it was a good med or not. Secondly would be Super Sour Diesel.

Blueberry tastes ok, just not as robust at the above.

Comment

Working...
                                X