No announcement yet.

Cannabis Education: 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all for your great advice on here! I'm not sure I would have taken the leap if I didn't have the help and support I get here, it has helped me tremendously!

I am also studying the science behind the benefits and any adverse affects of cannabis. Adverse affects seem hard to find and so far appear to be with over use and smoking, but lots more reading and journals to find.. And I'm learning about our endo cannabinoid system (sp) etc. and cross checking with medical libraries and journals. I must say, it would help if I could retain more of what I read these days

I am so positive and comfortable about the medicinal use of cannabis now, it is all about education or lack thereof..

Comment

Duh, I meant the laws under Harper, not Harris. Though Mike Harris was horrible for Ontario too!

Comment

Originally posted by sw8689 View Post
        Thank you all for your great advice on here! I'm not sure I would have taken the leap if I didn't have the help and support I get here, it has helped me tremendously!

I am also studying the science behind the benefits and any adverse affects of cannabis. Adverse affects seem hard to find and so far appear to be with over use and smoking, but lots more reading and journals to find.. And I'm learning about our endo cannabinoid system (sp) etc. and cross checking with medical libraries and journals. I must say, it would help if I could retain more of what I read these days

I am so positive and comfortable about the medicinal use of cannabis now, it is all about education or lack thereof..
        Last year after lobbying my elected officials in Sacramento, CA; I realized that IF people would get educated, just as you sw8689,
        there would be a Shift in medicinal use and people medicating more organically with a safe medication. hence..cannabis education; no sense feeling bad about a SAFE medication

It talks over 40pounds to overdose on it;
        Try to Google or U Tube; Rick Simpson Oil and M.S. or rso and M.S.; the real education begins!

Also: Google: Granny Storm Crows List: it is a complete and comprehensive source of disease and medical studies with cannabis. Plus, you'll find an email addy with it and you can get questions answered, first hand.

I've been learning now for 5 years and am more and more amazed, all the time. Just only discovered I could use it medicinally in 2008, 11 years after it was legal in my state. fed

Comment

medical marijuana cards

I have not posted in forever. But running into this subject, I am looking for answers. First, do other states have a real bureaucratic process you have to go through to get a card? I don't mind getting the card. But I have to pay $150 a year and then of course the cost each time I make a purchase at a dispensary. So prohibitive. Makes me want to just go to the 'street.' It is legal across the river in WA, but only to residents. Makes sense.

I have tried to use it in the past to no effect, so I am seeking out the Indica strain, then the purple or blues within that. My problems are: pain, insomnia and spacticity. I am hoping for some relief in all areas. What are your experiences?

Thank you so much.

Pat

Comment

The strains that really help my pain and spasticity is Blueberry, Girl Scout Cookies, Headband and Purple Urkel.

Most likely, all of the above will put you to sleep, as well.
            Girl Scout Cookies-strain, takes care of the pain and is a real good strain for 'stiffness' and pain, but it doesn't make me sleepy, at all. But, that could be harvest time related.

For sleep: Hindu Kush, OG Kush and Pineapple Express.

In Calif. it isn't quite so expensive to get a rec. Or, as complicated. Less than $60 in most case's and you walk down the street to buy your meds, the same day.

The collectives and dispensaries often have "discounts" for M.S. and other types of patients...just ask. Or, try to find a humble caregiver in your state! Most likely, the caregiver will take a donation of what you can afford or at least, a tremendous discount.

There are a few states that have a Caregivers Board specifically for that state. Once in awhile, caregivers are "looking" for patients to 'give' meds to, just to try their meds.

A caregiver often is a patient that is growing to cover the cost of growing and not a profit.

The strains I listed, are all VERY Strong...so be careful with them. And I wish somerelief for you, very soon. fed

Comment

Dear Fed,

Thank you for taking so much time to answer my questions. I had done what I thought was thorough research, but you said more in those few sentences than I had been able to find.

On I go on this quest. I am thankful I have you in my corner.

Pat

Comment

For more information on Cannabis and M.S.

Google: Denis J. Petro, M.D. and M.S.

Some interesting facts and studies should come up. fed

Comment

Well, I have my paperwork ready, passport photos and my appointment scheduled for this coming Tuesday. The assistant told me they will send me to d
                  A dispensary right after the appointment, so I can get my meds.

I am getting not only my prescription, but my license to grow and possess, as I understand this will all change very soon and become even more complicated here in Canada. But I think once you have it, it's grandfathered. But I haven't read the regs myself yet, I think I had better..

The appointment will cost me 360.00. But that's just the price I have to pay at a private clinic.

Comment

Dear SW,

Does this $360 include a fee to the government (in my case, the state) to obtain 'permission' to buy or grow? Our state requires a card, for which the annual charge varies. For me it is $150. If I chose to be a grower, it is lower--but it is one OR the other: grow or buy. Very confusing and stressful on low income sick and elderly.

I am so excited for you. Have you been able to try out different strains before you made the initial investment?

Good luck! Please do let me know how you are doing.

Pat

Comment

Thanks Pat, I'll let you know what the fee covers when I attend, I think it's mostly a private doctors fee? We have private and public clinics up here and this is a private clinic. They will assist me with my paperwork for the government, I don't believe they are affiliated with the government in any way, just a private medical clinic.

I have only tried regular cannabis, no specific strain, so I am really looking forward to trying specific ones for spasticity and sleep. So far, I am very happy with the quality of sleep I'm getting now.

I will keep you posted on the process as I go through it.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieMoore View Post
                        Dear SW,

Does this $360 include a fee to the government (in my case, the state) to obtain 'permission' to buy or grow? Our state requires a card, for which the annual charge varies. For me it is $150. If I chose to be a grower, it is lower--but it is one OR the other: grow or buy. Very confusing and stressful on low income sick and elderly.

I am so excited for you. Have you been able to try out different strains before you made the initial investment?

Good luck! Please do let me know how you are doing.

Pat
                        I dont think it does

Comment

Our government charges a fee? For a prescription and license to posses? How bizarre that will be. I will soon find out..

Comment

I was posting this in another thread and realized, this is a better place for it:

IF you are legally able to use MMJ in your state,or country, brothrgoose is correct. Many M.D's are not educated in MMJ at all, In medical school. they learn to use it at parties, like alcohol, as most. their relationship with it is generally, IS getting stoned for fun.

Thus, you will be labeled a 'stoner' seeking drugs from your PCP~look up a doc on the internet by googling marijuana docs. Even if 'profiling' is against the law; it happens!

Unless, you have a very good relationship with your M.D. Even that may not change their opinion. I had a friend that was gungho marijuana, 10 years ago, for her disease. I was 'unaware' and uneducated of MMJ and told the people around her and her, that she needed to leave that stuff alone.

Forutnately, she told me, "I realized your concern came out of love and you can't help it if, you don't know!" She passed away last year, my best friend of 40 years and she never got to smoke one legal joint in Washington State! bummer!

So, the long and short of it is; they have no clue how medicinal it really is. I was one, as well.

Truthfully, once you discover the benefits, you really don't care what people 'think' if it enhances your everyday life.

Heaviness of the legs is extremely frustrating and scares me. I've been having it plenty the past few days and am just happy I found a 'strain' that works for me.

Like brothrgoose said, if you have to buy it AND you happen to find the correct strain for you...buy plenty. I did with the Pot O Gold and they no longer carry it, at the collective.

Plus, a bulk 'donation' will garner a more reasonable price and ask for discounts..don't be ashamed, they make their money on the stoners.. and the real proprietors in it for patients, really DO help you out with price. Some often give the meds for free. But, you need to ask, after you get your requirements met, for your state.

The good news is; Anyone in Washington D.C. should get it totally free, once the laws take effect. Some smart cookie in D.C. added a provision for the poor diseased patients. It has not been implemented yet.

If you are aiming to control the pain, at the same time and do NOT have 'balance' issues, I bet Girl Scout Cookies might work well, for you(the poster in the other thread). GSC was the very FIRST STRAIN I have used that immediately helped my spasticity and pain issues.

I could flex my wrist without pain...awh heck, I could move all over! Humboldt Haze did the same thing, except..the flavor was the best pot I've ever tried! Mostly, I don't care to smoke and simply vape, unless I am at wits end.

I have tried more strains than I care to guess about and have a bunch that were, simply duds.
                            Glad I only buy a few grams of a new strain and hope to get back to buy in bulk, if it works. The really good part of going into a collective is, they REALLY DO have programs for patients with M.S.--if it is a legit collective. IF not, move on down to the next one.

Often, the "top shelf' is not what you want, the mid-shelf and lower has lower THC and thus helps symptoms more, in some cases. GSC is a top shelf one, due to its newness.

It would be nice if a bunch of M.S. patients would start a CO-OP and grow meds with the ones 'able' and the others furnish the means to do so. It is a weed for goodness sakes. It grows wild, untendered outside!

One could grow enough for a years meds, in a yard! One guy here was giving me meds, about 4 months of meds, for free; along with 70 other patients that needed it. All from one plant.

I hope I can get info from KatieAgain in setting up some sort of 'legit' business of how to acquire the proper people and put a program in place, just for US. Some sort of program that people won't abuse and the only costs be associated with the growing and distribution, definitely no pay for work program, payment is in meds and no profit.

It is my plan, WHEN I improve (after taking the full regime of cannabis oil), to be able to start such a CO-OP for patients, like US! It should not be so darned hard for people in medical crisis to get medication that is Organic and healthy for one!

My passion is: After decades of conventional meds to encourage others to find 'alternate' means to control the daily grind of M.S. and feeling Good with medications. noting* it is not for everyone.

Edibles can put one to sleep, often. I used suckers during the daytime, if I needed them for pain. Again, I did purchase them.

And I DID become a medical marijuana advocate/activist. I've met most CEO's of the activist communities and have been to a few 'seminars' and other training ordeals with it. I have met one of the most reputable M.D.'s in the world on Cannabis and he is at the end of an email and answers quickly.
                            He has written books on the subject and was a very 'mainstream' doc in helping addicts and pain clinics. He advocates MMJ. I seriously doubt he even uses it. Google his books and check him and his experience out.

My problem with the activists in MMJ, is often, when they speak--you can TELL they are a bit too medicated. I intended to render a clear and concise voice to that movement and was working up a program to teach new docs in training, until I heard the words, 'you have M.S."

Until, my M.S. took my voice. I recall last year in June, speaking at a town council meeting...it was really hard to speak. Made my speech shorter and more concise (I am sure they could hear me, as the officals seemed to nod their heads in approval with smiles).

I hate public speaking, but found this as a new PASSION for me. Because, I "know" how it helps make life with disease tolerable and even exciting! If I could use my voice to help patients with M.S., Cancer, Albinoism, HIV and other disease, and help get the legislation to legalizing the medication that helps, nationwide!

Now, I have to try to speak for myself and made my circle smaller, dealing with my 'local' elected officials. AND made myself instrumental last year in helping a local M.D. get elected to be my congressman, that supports legal Medical Marijuana. That is how, we change things to help ourselves.

I can do more things and a bit more productive by using mmj. Even if it didn't help my symptoms(but it does), it surely has helped my disposition about my disease.

Do be cautious, as some strains might make the 'heaviness' a bit worse, for some..since, we are all different. As our endocannabinoid system and receptors have different ones that are negligent in specific CBD's. Finding the right strain is like finding a bird that can find your snowflake holes and fill them!

My feeling is; the sativa's help more for the 'heaviness' in the legs. Indica's can make it worse. I am very sensitive to that and suggest use of the ones that do not cause heaviness~specifically strains 'know for' 'couchlock', but makes one light footed and wanting to dance!

I can't, can't even walk fast without a rollator..but, I do what I can and treat it like a WAR; if you don't use all the weapons in the arsenal, you won't know what works.

REMEMBER Marijuana is a medicine and you need to use it like one. You do not smoke an entire 'joint' just one or two 'puff's' and wait. Some of it is called, "creeper" (girl scout cookies are) and it gets more intense as it takes away the pain over about 30 or so minutes.

Patience and 'titrating' to effect, without overdoing it. If I overdo it, it doesn't do the same thing. Find the proper dose, for you and quit when you achieve it.

Well, MY NEW PASSION and sharing it with you, definitely makes me feel better! Plus, if you are able to grow, the new hobby is rather rewarding. To make a delightful medication by growing it yourself.

Surely, it is certainly not a cure-all; but if used like a medication, it will work like one. Once the M.D.'s figure that out, we won't have any problems with it! fed

**address removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to UserCP > Edit Details**

Comment

Dear Fed, I can't tell you enough how much help you are to me and I'm sure so many people with MS. I can bet there are more lurkers on this thread than any others as I was, wanting to give it a go, but afraid, until reading your posts!

Today is my day at the medicinal cannabis clinic. Also, the research and development study I am in, (almost missed..) will be testing the best strains for MS and other diseases, for production, but when it goes to production it will be for profit.). I don't mind paying because I can, at least for now anyway. But your idea of a coop is excellent, and I think it is something that should be looked at in different areas including Canada. Maybe we could even fundraise for a facility etc. eventually. I like that idea. Especially when recreational use is legalized and regulated, the medicinal side won't be so profit oriented, do you think?

Frankly, I'm continue to so surprised by the number of recreational users in the professional community that are comi g out of the woodwork, when I talk about my "new med". Yet, the same people look at me somewhat skeptical at first when I tell them I am using it medicinally. One of them is coming to my appointment today with me to see the process and learn, and is now starting to understand why it is helping me.

It will be interesting to see what my best friend, who is a Doctor in Sweden thinks when she is home at the end of the month. She works here and there, and I asked her about it in the past, she approves of it for medicinal purposes only but it was a very short conversation. So I'm going to adress it slowly and maybe at dinner party when there are a lot of other physicians there and I am schooled enough to speak concisely about it in a medical and scientific way.

It's all so exciting I find.

Thank you fed.

Comment

Thank you fed and SW so much. I am on my journey toward getting this. Your information has been my best education. Today I will begin to try to find collectives. I appreciate you both so much.

Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X