Got the ball rolling - nervous!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the ball rolling - nervous!

I've been waiting & watching BG-12/tecfidera for about a year. Was excited about the CONFIRM & DEFINE trial results. Now my day has come and am feeling nervous as heck about my it! Copaxone has done (is doing) it's job (according to my Dr. & the MRI's) but I'm chomping for something more effective.

Anyway, saw Dr. today, she's fine either way and finally encourage me to take the leap as I sat heming & hawing in her office. I'm not crazy about the lack of feedback. All the marketing & trial info look promising but I want to hear from people who have actually been on the drug (trial participants?).

Dr. would like more info from drug company regarding mechanism of drug (science mumbo-jumbo including words Nrf2 & brain shrinkage long term results, and petri-dish testing.) Anyway, my aim is to mimimize the every-increasing and annoying parathesia that is taking over my body.

Regarding insurance, plan is BxBs of KC and for mine it is a tier-3 drug, but since I have already met my big deductible (thankyou Teva patient assistance) it will be covered. Come Jan. 2014, who knows? (another point of anxiety) as the insurance exchanges start rolling out, I hope Biogen will provide continued support (I utilized their patient assistance previously with Avonex - ok program but not as generous as Shared Solutions.) Anyway, this was my vent. Hope that Tecfidera will be good for my brain!

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
    Symptoms 8/09. Dx 1/10. Avonex 2/10 - 1/11. Copaxone 2/11 to 5/13. Tecfidera 5/13 to 2/15. Gilenya 12/15 to current.

I'm right there with you. I've been waiting and watching and now have the ball rolling. My neuro just e-mailed me that the HMO has already approved Tecfidera and it has been stocked in the pharmacy. He submitted my lab request so I'm off to do blood work friday am. He then wants an office visit so he can evaluate my progression and if all is well, I stop by the pharmacy afterwards and pick up the new Rx. After 2300+ shots, I am ready for a break!

Comment

I just went to my dr today and I will be starting BG-12 too. Excited about no more injections (rebif 2002-present) but nervous about how my body will react to this new drug. I have to make a change to my dmd no matter what. Best of luck!!
      dx 2002 rebif 2002-2013 Tecfidera 2013

Comment

Working...
      X