The Diaphram and the Brain Stem ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Diaphram and the Brain Stem ?

I hope I put this in the right area. I have extensive scars in the Brain Stem as many people with MS also do. UGH. I have this most annoying problem that comes up every so often. It has bothered me for many years. Relapse Remit.
    My lungs are clear and I still have this heavy,tight feeling in my diaphram. Do any of you understand what I am trying to describe? MS, The suprises keep coming. I do appreciate very much the help and support.

Hi redeemed~ Sorry you're having problems. Could the tightness in your diaphragm possibly be the infamous "MS hug" ? I've had that and it was a tight squeezing feeling. Some report that they have difficulty breathing as well. Have you discussed with your doctor yet?

Hope this is short lived!
    (BTW, I'm moving this to the General A & Q forum.)
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi redeemed. The diaphragm is innervated by C3, C4 and C5. I'm not sure if a lesion above that level can cause the same problems, but someone else here surely will.

I get that feeling you're describing, as well as intense spasms there. It's the worst pain I've ever felt and almost passed out once from it. Someone here once told me to drink ice water when that happens and guess what? It works like a charm, most times they get intense. The one time it didn't work, I was also having intestinal cramping that day. Once I got the intestinal cramps under control, the diaphragm spasm once again responded to ice water. Go figure.

I'm having a flare right now and having a hard time breathing. Between the diaphragm spasms and bronchospasms, it's a struggle to focus on anything else. I keep hitting them with my usual hammers, and they keep popping back up like a 7-headed dragon. It makes me feel like this thing will kill me before anything shows up on my MRIs. It doesn't help the insurance company refuses to cover another ordered brain MRI. I've not had one in almost 3 years. I guess they'll have to dissect mine after I'm gone to find out for sure.

It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I would love to know more about this. I've had trouble getting a deep breath most of my life. And I do get the HUG which is no fun.

Growing up, I never knew what MS was and never considered that something bad could be happening. But it was always so uncomfortable and scary.

I had one doctor a long time ago who believed I had "something restrictive" going on, but my symptoms at the time didn't warrant a MRI. So it took longer to dx.

I heard about drinking ice water before. I think it really does help.

I used to get bronchitis a lot as a kid and into my young adult life too.

Hope we can find out more about it.
        Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Oh luscious leaves,
          you are in a precarious position!!! Are you seeing a "Neurologist"? Can you go to a hospital/doctor that is affiliated with a University (those docs are supposed to be "up" on the "latest" issues). Have you had a Lumbar Puncture aka LP aka "spinal tap"? I am sorry you are stuck in limbo
          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

The breathing control center is in the brainstem so if you were having trouble getting signals about when to breathe it would make sense that a lesion in the brainstem could cause that. But since your feeling a heavy and tight feeling down in your diaphragm it sounds more like it could be the hug or something from a lesion in your spinal cord.

The diaphragm gets its nerve supply through spinal nerves C3, C4 and C5 but those are peripheral nerves and wouldn't be affected by MS. So from what I learned from having some spinal cord lesions myself it sounds more to me like a spinal cord thing tho it could be brainstem. More important - what does your neuro say its from?

Comment

Originally posted by fishead View Post
              Oh luscious leaves,
              you are in a precarious position!!! Are you seeing a "Neurologist"? Can you go to a hospital/doctor that is affiliated with a University (those docs are supposed to be "up" on the "latest" issues). Have you had a Lumbar Puncture aka LP aka "spinal tap"? I am sorry you are stuck in limbo
              I've been seeing a uni doc for 2 years and counting. He's never ordered an MRI and says this is all from migraines. My LP was normal.
              It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

My first reaction t your story was Try to keep your "core" muscles strong. If something is happening it certainly would not hurt to be as strong as possible through the middle
                [I]Tellnhelen
                Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Spasms

I have dealt with esophageal spasms for almost 20 years, only been Dx since December. I don't get them too often however, my doctor gave me a pill, comparable to nitro pill to put under my tongue. It stops the spasms. They are so intense and painful that I don't go anywhere without my pills.. It feels what I would imagine a major heart attack to feel like.

Comment

Big Hugs to all of you I am so Thankful to report that I am getting relief from the hard time to breath. I am Grateful that I have never dealt with this longer than 2 weeks. If & when it does decide to return I am SO GLAD to have such informative & caring,"FRIENDS."

Comment

Originally posted by tellnhelen View Post
                      My first reaction t your story was Try to keep your "core" muscles strong. If something is happening it certainly would not hurt to be as strong as possible through the middle

How do you do this???
                      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                      X