Baby, I need a New Pair of Shoes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby, I need a New Pair of Shoes

Hi all It's that time of year (already?) when I have to do two things I find difficult: 1) Buy a new pair of shoes; and 2) buy a new swimsuit. Wow I can't tell you how much I love/hate this process.

Yes it seems like just when mthe winter shoes are feeling great, it's time to get a new summer pair (notice singular). Don't go shopping much and catalog shopping for shoes is awful. My left foot seems larger than before but not large enough for the next size. (What to do?) Well I think Im gonna buy some of that shoe stretch stuff. If you all know of something else please let me know.

Finding a brand or style that suits my needs is a serious challenge. Would be interested to know What the ladies of MSWorld do about this problem.

Now to the next problem: the swimsuit. It is impossible to shop for a swimsuit online. I don't care what they say. Of course, who wouldn't want that "miracle" suit..just ca'nt afford it...and thats not even considering the style etc. that might look alright on my pear-shaped body. I am determined and resolved to get a swimsuit and get to the pool twice a week (there, I said it out loud too)

OK enough talk. Thanks for listening
    [I]Tellnhelen
    Progressive Relapsing MS

I swear by Toms (or their cheaper counterpart Bobs from Sketchers). You can order them to fit your smaller foot and they will stretch for the bigger one. They are SO comfy and have no laces to confound my dysfunctional hands. They come in SO many patterns fro glitter to linen, patent leather to crochet (which are great in summer because they are so breathable!).

I am also a pear shaped woman and hate swimsuit shopping with a passion! Apparently if your buns are as big as mine you should be much larger on top . C'est la vie...

Anyways, I love my new suit from Lands End- a swim mini, bra top and detached cami swim top. Lots of comfy support and coverage and it is still cute! The bonus- you can shop online, try on at home, then return whatever you don't want to Sears!

Good luck shopping and swimming!

Comment

You officially have my sympathy! Shoes are hard enough to buy but getting a new swimsuit stinks on so many different levels!

Gotta love stepping out of the change room in the brightly lit store, with my white, pasty body and around 300 of "my closest friends" in the store. Oops, forgot to mention wearing underwear under the bathing suit when trying it on... so sexy!

Jen
      RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
      "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I feel your pain, too

The two things I hate, hate, hate to do is shop for shoes and then shop for a swimsuit. I have had foot surgery twice so the shoe shopping is so difficult. I can not shop online unless I have gone to a store and know exactly what size and style and so forth. When the salesperson in a store says-"walk around a little while and your foot will get used to the shoe" is a lie!

With hardware in the footsie, the shoe has to feel great before even standing. One foot is slightly longer than the other one now so that is also an issue. In the summer I wear very supportive sandals. That is it. They are not cute little things with heels. They are working shoes. I have a pair of Chacos that I have had for three years. Yes they have a zillion straps and that allows me to adjust them to fit exactly. They have a great arch and a super heel cup.

This year I invested in another pair. They are my "dress" shoes for church, graduations, whatever. I also have a pair of Merrel thong sandals. They have the little strap between my big and second toe that is made of a stretchy fabric and they work great. A great arch. A super heel cup. I can walk miles in either of them. I have a pair of crocs sanrah sandals. I wear them at the pool (I swim 4 days a week all year). I can get them on easily and they do a good job in the pool area and in the showers. They are the cheapest to purchase.

I also have a pair of Whisper Keen Sandals which are like a canvas sneaker kind of pull on shoe. Great for the hot humid summers in Georgia. I wear my sandals from March through generally October. Since for the first time in my life, I have 5 swimsuits because I swim 4 days a week at the Y, I can say what has worked well for me. Pool water does a number of the fabric of most swimsuits. I need a suit with good support for the girls, straps that either adjust or are wide enough to stay put.And I want something modest-nothing cut to my waist (eek!!).

My favorite suit is a Rebok. It has a black bottom with a colored band under my girls with the top part polka dotted. I got it at Dicks. It's pretty cute and allows me to swim laps or do water erobics easily. They have a good selection of suits for women.

My second best suit came from REI and is a triathalon suit. It is a tank style with white piping. It has decent support and wide straps. It is guaranteed not to fade or stretch out. It looks good and works well. I also have a suit from Kohls and Macys that wont last long because of the materials they are made of. They were on sale and a bargain.

The Kolhs one has this ruching in the front and is floral and looks good. The straps are narrower and adjust (yea). I also have a Lands End tankini which is my least favorite. When I swim, the tankini part fills with air and rides up. ugh. The bottom has a swirly skirt which I loved but when I actually wore it, the swirly got in the way of swimming, too so I cut the skirt part off and just have a regular looking bottom now. It was also heavy. ugh. I like this suit because when I go to the beach, I can put some cash in the bra top and it stays put. It also has the least support.

So good luck with the swimsuit shopping and remember that all shapes and sizes of women wear them. So dont put yourself down. If you like it, get it. And don't worry what others think. You are the only one who matters!
        lydialou

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Comment

I feel your pain. Great tip on the Merrell shoes, they rock and are worth every dime. Teva sandals are good, too. Both...expensive, however.

I have had good luck with Land's End suits because every thing is tucked in and stays put. Also covers everything and is modest. I have two that are tankini with a good sturdy bottoms and a skirt coverup that I wear all the time.

I hated revealing bathing suits even when I was very fit and athletic. Even when there wasn't a drop of cellulite on me. I want to swim or hang out without worries that the suit will shift or gap or whatever.
          Dx: 2/3/12. 6-8 lesions right medulla/cervical spine. GLATIRAMER ACETATE 40 mg 1/19, medical marijuana 1/18. Modafinil 7/18, Women's multivitamin, Caltrate + D3, Iron, Vitamin C, Super B Complex, Probiotics, Magnesium, Biotin.

Comment

Sometime it happens when Our leg becomes larger than our normal size but not up to the next available size. At that moment the only solution we have is to try new brand shoe or different brand shoe. As the size of the shoe slightly vary with the brand.

Comment

I found a most awesome pair of shoes for the summer and fall this year. They are Rocket Dog "Windy". They are true to size, and I got them at Famous Footwear. Because they have an elasticized section, they are easy to get on and off, and you don't need to untie the laces. I love Teva as well, and Halflinger for winter. These shoes all cost more, but the quality and wear is worth it.
              ~Kim in NV~ Dx RRMS on the Spring Equinox 2008 , at age 44. *Aubagio* That which does not kill us only makes us stronger

Comment

Working...
              X