Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

personalizing an effective diet (how to)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personalizing an effective diet (how to)

I'm trying to understand how to go about developing a diet that's right for me. I see a lot of people saying it's important to personalize, and to take it slow, which I understand.

The reason I'm doing this is because I've got people in my life who care about me very much who are saying things to me like, "It's the artificial sweeteners!!!" or "It's the gluten! Gluten is making you sick! Just cut it out and you'll be fine."

I'm allergic to ginger, but otherwise, nothing else makes me sick - wheat, milk, meat, nothing. I don't see weird effects of eating certain things. Some people say if they eat X or Y, they feel "bad." I don't understand it. It's just not my experience.

I was reading about Swank, and I'm willing to try a diet change (though I am very closely following this one already!!!) to see if it will make a long term impact.

I just don't understand how people are tailoring diets to fit their needs...if something made you sick or caused GI issues, sure I see that, but what if it doesn't? How do you move forward with no physical feedback?

Where are you in your progression?

You will hear different things from people that are in early stages of M.S. to people who are in a wheel chair.

If you are in an early stage and can still run or jog you eating a candy bar will not effect you as much as someone like me who is in a later progression. I'll tell you when I eat a candy bar my body has to work over time to process all the different garbage in it. Sending unnecessary information throughout my body.

The gaps diet works well for me I'm on a more modified gaps diet but I want to maximize the performance of my nerves and not have to waste time processing unnecessary foods. I want my nerves strong so a lot of anti-inflammatory foods. I want my nerves doing what they do best sending kick-*** signals to my entire body.
    I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

I understand how you think that the foods you eat are not causing any recognizable 'bad' reactions. But the truth is, until you have a 'naturopath' doctor run food sensitivity tests and you really try to change your diet, you are just guessing about problematic foods. I can't stress that point enough. Dealing with the 'right' foods for your personal situation is a scientific endeavor.
      That being said, Dr. McDougall and his wife have built their careers on changing chronic patients' lives through diet. The same goes for Swank, Forks over Knives (Campbell and Esselstyn), etc. My naturopath told me, point blank yesterday, that if I followed the McDougall diet, strictly, for 30 days, I would see seriously positive results. I hope to get into this diet, but it takes 'iron' willpower.
      Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by JerryD View Post
        I understand how you think that the foods you eat are not causing any recognizable 'bad' reactions. But the truth is, until you have a 'naturopath' doctor run food sensitivity tests and you really try to change your diet, you are just guessing about problematic foods. I can't stress that point enough. Dealing with the 'right' foods for your personal situation is a scientific endeavor.
        That being said, Dr. McDougall and his wife have built their careers on changing chronic patients' lives through diet. The same goes for Swank, Forks over Knives (Campbell and Esselstyn), etc. My naturopath told me, point blank yesterday, that if I followed the McDougall diet, strictly, for 30 days, I would see seriously positive results. I hope to get into this diet, but it takes 'iron' willpower.
        Good luck
        I see. I get what you mean about not really knowing what's happening. I actually know of a doctor like this, I just can't afford to go to her yet. I will look at McDougall, thanks for that direction. I've lost almost 50 pounds recently (past 9 months), so I'm willing to address this seriously, just not sure where to start.

Comment

I think that sometimes people with MS put too much emphasis on "MS diets" to help "MS symptoms" and not enough emphasis on just eating properly to be healthy. A lot of health experts are recommending the same kinds of diets for people in general as some of the MS diets not because we have MS but because we have bodies.

Most of them seem to be recommending the same things which is mostly vegetables and certain fruits with some low fat meat protein and no simple carbohydrates or dairy or gluten. And the same ideas are coming out of doctors who have no connection to each other and who aren't saying that based on any one disease. But doctors like Daniel Amen, Christiane Northrup. Mark Hyman and Mehmet Oz all recommend the same kind of diet and it doesn't have anything to do with MS.

The other thing I've heard over and over is that finding out what foods your sensitive to doesn't just mean seeing if you feel bad after you eat them because you might not have that kind of immediate reaction. The way to test is to eliminate a food for a month and then see how you feel. You want to know if the aches and pains or headaches or skin rash go away. Then you try adding that food back in and see what happens.

And more than one doctor and two different veterinarians (for my allergic dogs ) have told me that the food sensitivity tests are completely unreliable so there's no point in paying for them. They all said the only way to really know is to eliminate a food for a month and then see what happens.

In the JJ Virgin diet she recommends eliminating 7 foods for 3 weeks and seeing what happens. They're the foods most known to cause sensitivity problems. I can't remember one of them but the other six are soy, peanuts, eggs, sugar, dairy and gluten. Those last 3 seem to be on everybody's list of foods to avoid for the best health. So that might be something to try first.

Comment

I went through scads of information from various sources and settled on a modification of the Best Bet diet. It eliminates gluten and other proteins that trigger immune reactions. I then went through figuring supplements and it was hit and miss/wasted lots of money. Then I went to Tara for help and that was the final piece towards feeling normal.
            Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Get this book. It's the best thing that ever happened to me.

http://www.overcomingmultiplescleros...gram-Overview/

I don't know if the diet works, but we don't know if the meds work and it's the best tested diet out there, tested over 30 years. Plus, there is no down side.

there is a whole program here. Do yourself a favor and start at the root (Swank). This includes exercise and psychological sides.

Comment

Working...
              X