Does Avonex suppress the immune system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Avonex suppress the immune system?

I feel stupid for not knowing the answer to this, but I can't find any clear cut answers. I don't get sick a lot, but I was wondering if Avonex could possibly change that. The reason I wonder is because I just got diagnosed with a uti last week, finished my antibiotics Tuesday night, and then woke up this morning with a horrible sore throat. I'm guessing that means I caught a cold, but I don't hardly ever leave home to catch a sickness (I really wonder if it's from using a contaminated grocery store pen to sign a credit card receipt since I've been making sure the cart handles have been sanitized).

I'm really thinking all this stuff happening so close together is a total coincidence (I haven't had a cold in over a year, so I was overdue anyway), but I only started on Avonex 2 months ago, so I don't know if it would have any kind of effects on me or not at this point. I do know some MS meds do suppress the immune system. Is Avonex one of them?
    Diagnosed 1/4/13
    Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

So if you ask your neuro, Avonex modulates the immune system. Immune suppression is something more serious.

Does one get sick more often on Avonex? I think it's possible and it's in the prescribing instructions, but I also think it's mostly no. You're on the smallest dose of Interferon and it's been in use for many years. Were you due for a cold? Is it a virus or a bacterial infection. Did you take a full course of Antibotics or did you stop in the middle?

I think you'll just have to wait and see, but be reassured that you're not taking a strong immune-suppressant that's even as strong as Gilenya or many of the arthritis medications lots of people are taking.

Comment

I've only been on Avonex 5ish months but for me it hasn't caused me to get sick any more often. Before Avonex I would get sick about once/yr with a few UTIs here and there (despite doing everything I can to prevent them).

Since starting Avonex I haven't gotten sick and I've only had 1 UTI so for me it hasn't made me more vulnerable to illness.

That was one of the things I was worried about when I started on it.

Comment

I used to hesitate to do my shot if I felt an illness coming on, but now I make sure I do the shot. Avonex has some anti -viral properties. I have had a cold and done the shot and woke up with no cold. I have definitely been sick less often on Avonex, but that could be just my immune system being a little hyped up.

Comment

For me at least Avonex does not and has not suppressed my immune system. I rarely get colds. I did have a stomach virus a couple of years ago, but that's about it.
          If Avonex supressed my immune system I would have had lots of maladies years ago,
          Been taking Avonex since June 96
          For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
          Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

I've been on Avonex since the spring of 2001 and have had no more illnesses than I think I would have had anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by lstrl View Post
              I feel stupid for not knowing the answer to this, but I can't find any clear cut answers. I don't get sick a lot, but I was wondering if Avonex could possibly change that. The reason I wonder is because I just got diagnosed with a uti last week, finished my antibiotics Tuesday night, and then woke up this morning with a horrible sore throat. I'm guessing that means I caught a cold, but I don't hardly ever leave home to catch a sickness (I really wonder if it's from using a contaminated grocery store pen to sign a credit card receipt since I've been making sure the cart handles have been sanitized).

I'm really thinking all this stuff happening so close together is a total coincidence (I haven't had a cold in over a year, so I was overdue anyway), but I only started on Avonex 2 months ago, so I don't know if it would have any kind of effects on me or not at this point. I do know some MS meds do suppress the immune system. Is Avonex one of them?
              Again and again getting sick is because of low immunity. I was struggling with same problem and my doctor suggested me oks 20, its a powerful medicine which affected my immunity system. He also suggested me regular exercise and to eat three times a day i.e breakfast, lunch and dinner. Honestly these measures helped me to increase my immunity system.
              http://www.cellublue.com/

Comment

Working...
              X