X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bowel problems

Hello,

I'm secondary progressive, in a wheelchair with little use of
    hands, no movement in legs. Because of my lack of movement, I think, I have been having more frequent problems trying to go to the bathroom. It's not constipation, stool softeners have led to bowel in continence, but more a lack of muscle, no 'push'.

I constantly feel like I have to go, even right after I've gone.
    I had a rectal exam so know there are no obstructions, etc.
    I have a sp catheter so no more of that problem but now this problem is stopping me from enjoying life. I'm afraid to leave the house

My caregiver helps me with range of motion exercises to get some movement and I drink LOTS of water because of my SP. I try and eat lots of fiber. I'm at a loss as to what else I can try.

If anyone has experienced this, I'd love to hear how you're managing it. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Laurakim

I am going to try to answer your question, because nobody else has. I am far more advanced in my MS
    than you are.

I am on a regimen where I have a Dulcolax rectal suppository every other day and it works fine.

This was started when my muscles stopped pushing, occasionally my caretaker has to give it an assist.

Hope this helps you somehow, it can sure be a pain in the a**, to put it politely.

Comment

i AM STILL FAIRLY MOBILE ON MY OWN, BUT i HAVE TO TAKE A STIMULANT BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH MY BOWELS ARE VERY LOSE, i CANT GO ON MY OWN. i ASKED MY DR BECAUSE I WALK AS MUCH AS I CAN. HE SAID THAT IT WAS JUST A PART OF MS THAT THE MUSCLES GET TO WEAK TO WORK ON THEIR OWN. I ALSO STARTED DRINKING A FRUIT SMOOTHIE EVERYMORNING WITH A HALF A BANANA, GROUND FLAX SEEDS, AND HEMP HEARTS. i ADD WHATEVER FRUIT i HAVE IN THE FREEZER TO IT (I LIKE TO FREEZE THE FRUIT SO THAT I GET A DIFFERENT TEXTURE. THIS HAS HELPED ME A TON!

Comment

Here's what I do…

If taking a laxative (I take a natural fiber laxative in pill form)
        does not work for you… You might want to try

-Prescription Meralax the night before you are due to have bm

-"Magic Bullet" inserted rectally with stimulates peristalsis…
        and out she goes!

-Manual stimulation around rectum to initiate stool evacuation

-Have a regular bowel schedule; same time, same day

-Be very CONSISTENT in your regiment

-Consultant neurologist re: stool elimination

you're on the right track by drinking plenty of water and eating high fiber!

The right combination for YOU my take on a little time… It's all trial and error… as you've probably already discovered.
        Good luck

PEACE

Comment

Bowel Program

You need to research BOWEL PROGRAM's on line. That is what spinal cord injury folks are trained to do in rehab.

Mine used to be 2 Duclolax every other day. That got too expensive. Tried Miralax when it was on prescription. Non prescription got too expensive. Now I have found that there is a prescript you can get for a generic Miralax called Glycolax. It is $4 so I can afford that. Takes a few days to get enough in your system tho.

KK

Comment

Say no more, heres solutions to constipation, Too much info but all true

I am so glad to see you reaching out, i also have the problem with going, but i do all kinds of things. First once a day 5pm i take a 3/4 cup prune juice, then i get Bob's red mill Ground flaxseeds, and i take 4 tablespoons and put it in warm water and drink that. I get the flax seed ground from Swanson mail order, store in freezer) In the morning I take 2 "Colon Helper" from HCBL vitamin mail order and then 2 aloe vera gel (not just leaf the gel) I get mine from puritan pride mailorder.

Its also important to eat more leafy greens and like you are doing lots of water. Even with exercise, i walk with cane and active, i was told that my bowel is affected by the ms and will always be. So now i am going to get technical, so i don't strain and i am able to finish going, i do a procedure that is called splinting, ask your doctor, i take my clean, right thumb and gently push it into my vagina, and follow up along the upper part of it.

The bowel is so close that you can feel the boop that is in your intestines, well go up three inches and push your thumb and push the boop out, I know this may be gross to some people but its the only way i can go usually, of course their are times i can go all by myself but most days its what i have to do.

Of course keep your thumb nail clipped so you don't injure yourself, but if someone would have told me that sooner it would have been nice, after that then strain a little and another piece will move down then repeat the thumb, so any of you that think this is too much information i suppose you are right but its the way i can go. Of course men can't do this but for a woman it works just fine. So anyway, give it a try.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Originally posted by laurakim View Post
            Hello,

I'm secondary progressive, in a wheelchair with little use of
            hands, no movement in legs. Because of my lack of movement, I think, I have been having more frequent problems trying to go to the bathroom. It's not constipation, stool softeners have led to bowel in continence, but more a lack of muscle, no 'push'.

I constantly feel like I have to go, even right after I've gone.
            I had a rectal exam so know there are no obstructions, etc.
            I have a sp catheter so no more of that problem but now this problem is stopping me from enjoying life. I'm afraid to leave the house

My caregiver helps me with range of motion exercises to get some movement and I drink LOTS of water because of my SP. I try and eat lots of fiber. I'm at a loss as to what else I can try.

If anyone has experienced this, I'd love to hear how you're managing it. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.
            Thanks,
            Laurakim

Comment

Working...
            X