Food For Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food For Fuel

I rely on crutches to get around. Some days of course are better than others, but I've realized that I move better if I'm not feeling "low on fuel". I have been trying to make sure I'm taking in a decent amount of protein during the day, but by the time I get home from work, I am really struggling & need fuel. I am also trying to watch calories. I was wondering if anyone could give an suggestions. Am I focusing too much on protein?

Hello and Welcome shellyk!

Have you thought of eating a small meals throughout the day. This keeps you "fueled" all day. If your small meals are healthy there is no reason you should gain weight.
    When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I don't know if you are focusing too much on protein. I do know that you are risking recurring UTI's and other problems by eating too much meat protein. Dr. Weil suggests that one eat no more than 10% or 20% of total calorie intake be from protein. Good luck

Comment

Small Meals

I do actually eat thru the day. I have half a protein bar about 8am, oatmeal around 10am, lunch (which is usually soup) around Noon, half a protein bar at 1pm, a hard boiled egg around 2:30, and some Greek yogurt a little after 3. I am home about 4:30 and am hungry & low on fuel feeling. I usually have a trail mix bar or a high protein drink/shake. I am not a "grazer" by nature and I have really keep on myself to keep an eating schedule throughout the day.

Comment

Are you overexerting yourself?

Are you getting enough sleep?

If this is irregular for you, you may want to mention it to your doctor. Maybe he could run some blood tests.
          When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I think maybe your thinking that protein does something it doesn't do? Protein supplies building blocks for the body. It doesn't give energy bursts. So if your thinking you should be getting energy you might be on the wrong track.

And I agree that you might actually be eating too much protein compared to other foods. And if your hungry it sounds like your not eating enough to keep you satisfied and not eating enough of the right foods. Even if your on a diet it doesn't sound right that your so hungry and tired. Your eating many times a day but obvious how often you eat isn't the problem or you wouldn't still be so hungry and drained.

Carbohydrates and fat give energy. So maybe you could start eating some low glycemic fruits and vegetables and complex carbohydrates and some healthy fats for energy?

And maybe some of what your feeling is MS fatigue?

Comment

This thread should be in the hands of a nutritionist. But I will weigh in with my info. Take it or leave it. MSer102 has stated it very well. To stay feeling full and energized, you need to eat 2 or 3 times as much fruits and vegetables as meat protein. Protein has energy, so does everything else. But the balance is the trick. More fiber (fruits and veggies) absorb more water and make you feel fuller longer. They help you stay clear of constipation and bladder problems, which is common in MS. Good luck

Comment

add this also

Jerry and Mser have been a big help to me. You maybe want to add juicing to your daily diet. I have been using the gaps diet as a corner stone for my daily eating/feeding

I juice in the morning with my breakfast. a salad finely chopped and dinner is usually an animal protein cut thin or cubed in a stew, soup or casserole.

The juicing keeps me full and in the beginning you may feel tired but man I retain energy and ever since I started juicing I feel my balance is better and I don't have that spacey feeling anymore.

Forget energy bars. They take too long to break down and distribute and they are artificial ways of getting what you need from natural forms of food.

Remember e are exerting more energy to do things so the key is keeping foods in your system that can give you power in an efficient way.

I was able to find a dietician that new someone using the gaps diet and worked with people with M.S. and other neuro disorders.

Hope this was a help.
                I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

AIP

Originally posted by shellyk View Post
                  I rely on crutches to get around. Some days of course are better than others, but I've realized that I move better if I'm not feeling "low on fuel". I have been trying to make sure I'm taking in a decent amount of protein during the day, but by the time I get home from work, I am really struggling & need fuel. I am also trying to watch calories. I was wondering if anyone could give an suggestions. Am I focusing too much on protein?
                  you should consider the AIP (autoimmune protocol) cleanse and then a paleo diet. from what you say, it doesn't seem like you're eating a lot and protein bars aren't "real" food. try spinach, kale, and all those greens. make Green machine smoothies if you can. they are very healthy, don't cause weight gain and give you energy.

Comment

Working...
                  X