Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ibuprofen use?

Hello all!

For my "treatment" I use the Rebi line of interferon.
    It has been almost a year and I still am having trouble with the "fever" side effects.

I take Advil to deter the side effects so that I can function in the morning/ sleep during the night

I was just curious if most people do this.. Or do most just "tough it out" without any help?

Just wanted to survey

I took Avonex for 6 years and for those 6 yrs I took Ibu.
    Got a prescription from my Dr. - it was the equivalent to taking 4 advil. If I recall, I had to wait 6-8? hours betw doses. It made all the difference! No sense in having to "tough it out" in my mind!

What is your dosage of advil?
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Rebif

I took Rebif injections 3x a week before bed from March 2012-November 2012. I stopped as I'm trying to start a family in 2013. I took Advil & put an ice pack on the site before injecting (helped a lot.) The auto injector caused me huge red welts. Maybe a combination of the pressure against my skin & medication being acidic. When I injected w/ just the syringe I had less red spots.

Comment

When I was on Avonex and Rebif I used to take 800 mg of ibuprofen about 2 hours before injecting and again about 2 to 3 hours after injecting and then went to bed so everything would happen while I was sleeping. I took OTC ibuprofen at the prescription dose. After about the first month I rarely had any flu-like symptoms and if I did I think it was because I injected too close to a blood vessel and it got absorbed to fast.

Comment

When I was on Rebif I took Alieve morning and night 2 pills, basically the equivalent of 800 mg of ibuprofen q. 4 hours. It worked for me I never got a fever. I did, however, have to take something for reflux.

Good luck
          Lisa
          Moderation Team
          Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
          SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
          Tysabri

Comment

I take 2 pills right after injection (which I think is 800mg)

But I guess it doesn't make sense to just "tough it out"

Comment

switched pre-medication

I've been on Betaseron for almost 5 years. Until December, I took 2 ibuprofen at least 30 minutes before my injection. Each pill is 200 mg, so that's 400 mg every other day.

In December, my kidney function was low. There is no history of kidney disease in my family, and I have no risk factors otherwise. It looks like this is from the ibuprofen, so I've switched to acetaminophen.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I'm pretty knowledgeable about biochemistry and was not aware that ibuprofen could damage kidneys. I knew you shouldn't take it if you already had problems. And for five years, all I heard from health care providers was that I should always eat something with it to prevent stomach problems. Nobody ever mentioned the kidneys - I was the one who brought it up when a friend mentioned it was one of his health concerns.

I certainly would've tried to decrease the ibuprofen earlier if I had known. I did when the blood tests started to look funny, and I did fine on half the dose. So I guess that's also an answer for you. I was able to decrease the amount. My neuro even said some people can stop premedicating altogether after a while.

One time I forgot to premedicate, and I ended up with chills so bad that I had muscle cramps the next day from balling myself up under the down comforter to keep warm. So you'll know if your body isn't ready to cut down the pain relievers.

Another note: acetaminophen (Tylenol, for instance) can affect the liver, as can interferon, so its important to keep up with the liver panel.

Comment

I take Avonex and my drug of choice is Aleve. I think I've only woken up once in the middle of the night and had a mild headache and a very slight body ache. Other than that, I've never had any problems, and I get insomnia on shot night, so when I wake up in the middle of the night, I'm usually up for a while. Either I got lucky or the Aleve really does the trick for me. Whatever the case is, I'm not changing a thing
                Diagnosed 1/4/13
                Avonex 1/25/13-11/14, Gilenya 1/22/15

Comment

My worry is that I've heard that Ibuprofen can affect the liver (didn't know that it could affect the kidneys though) and I still have chills after the shot without ibuprofen

My doctor said that since my last blood test, everything is fine... Maybe just an irrational worry

Chills suck... haha

Comment

EX out the Avonex

I was told the same thing about aspirin and that ibeprophin would be good to use. And Avonex... Avonex is the devil of medications... boy there's nothing like weekly fevers, head aches, body aches, and nausea following my injection. My insurance company told me to stay on Avonex for 1 year before I could try anything else. I am now on tysabri and suffer no side effects and it is working pretty good. Tysabri is a once a month IV injection and from what I understand is the be all of MS medications. I haven't had a single MS attack of any kind for months

Comment

Originally posted by spritebottle View Post
                      My worry is that I've heard that Ibuprofen can affect the liver (didn't know that it could affect the kidneys though) and I still have chills after the shot without ibuprofen

My doctor said that since my last blood test, everything is fine... Maybe just an irrational worry

Chills suck... haha
                      Ibuprofen is nephrotoxic (causes damage to the kidneys) and Acetaminophen is hepatotoxic (causes damage to the liver). If you are worried about your kidneys or liver you should request function tests from your doctor. Everybody's body is different. Some people can tolerate higher doses for longer, especially of Ibuprofen.

Have any of you tried Aspirin? It is much less gentle on the GI system, and is also nephrotoxic, but may work in a rotation if you can tolerate it.

Comment

I was going to post a question about Rebif and side effects,but No need to since this tread is basically covering all my questions already.. Hehe..

I have been on rebif for 6 weeks now and still having side effects.. Muscle cramps,fever,and just plan feeling like crap!

I take 3 Ibprofen about 30 mins before I inject the medication.

But I am having infections after infections.

First was sinus infection,then UTI,now cat scratch fever! So I am thinking that having all the infection in my body is causing the severe side effects to the interferon..

Does this make since to anyone else?
                        RRMS-2007-2012
                        SPMS-2012
                        Copaxone Feb,2007- 2008
                        currently on Rebif

Comment

I thought aspirin was Acetaminophen. Naproxen (alieve) works really well and I haven't had a problem with it. I took that in a combination with Ibeprophin when it got really bad.

Comment

I've been on Rebif for a few months now (Copaxone before that) and if I don't pre-medicate, I'm miserable.

I think the key to success with Rebif is timing. I pre-medicate with 400mg of Ibuprofen and within 30 minutes inject the med, and then go to bed.

I think that if there are any symptoms, I'm sleeping through them!

When I don't pre-medicate? I will wake up almost exactly four hours after the injection with shakes, cold sweats, nausea, etc.

Comment

Working...
                            X