avonex and thyroid damage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

avonex and thyroid damage

Hi everyone I have been dx for two years and taking avonex from the start. I have been having more problems lately with walking and fatigue.

My dr belives that my thyroid has been affected, waiting on test to confirm, test from last year showed my thyroid was off. Has anyone else had this happen if so what steps did you take? Is this considered a reaction?

Also I have a history of blood clots so can not take hormones. I know I have some tough descions to make and trying to get as much info as I can. Thank you for any advice.
    ** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi there.
    i'm 49 and dx ms and hoshimotos. i've been hypothyroid for 25 yrs. i too was on avonex, for ust1 mo. got all the psychological side-effects ie; depression, terrible mood swings ect.

My thyroid freaked out, up and down levels, heart palpatations. I knew it was my thyroid. i'm now on copaxone. i see my PCP friday and i will get my TSH tested.

I am sure it was the avonex affected my thyroid!
    good luck and let us know how it went.
    Diagnosed 1/15/2013, Avonex 2/8/13, copaxone 3/7/13

Comment

I've never read anything that Avonex or even Rebif actually damages the thyroid gland. Its well known tho that the interferons can affect the way the body processes thyroid hormones so you have to stay on top of your thyroid levels. Hyper and hypothyroidism is right in the prescribing information.

I think its true about the hormone processing and not actual damage to the thyroid because I've read in forums that even people who had their thyroid glands removed and were taking thyroid supplements had changes to their thyroid hormone blood levels. I think if that happened when there wasn't even a thyroid gland it probably shows that the change is to the hormone processing and not the gland itself.

Funny how your doctor doesn't know that. Its right in the medicine information.

Comment

My thryoid has been underactive. Corrected with medication (Levothyroxine). I'm not sure if its Avonex related or not.
        It really hasn't beem a problem though.
        Been taking Avonex since June 96
        For me Interferon therapy is essential in slowing MS down.
        Will continue with the weekly injections and take my disease one day at a time...

Comment

Straight from the Avonex site. It can affect thyroid function. It's why you should regularly have your thyroid tested. I do my Avonex-related blood tests every 3 months including a full blood count and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). I think your doctor would normally be ordering these.
          http://www.avonex.com/pdfs/guides/Av...nformation.pdf Italics are mine.

Post-marketing reports of autoimmune disorders of multiple target organs in AVONEX-treated patients included idiopathic thrombocytopenia, hyper- and hypothyroidism, and rare cases of autoimmune hepatitis. If AVONEX-treated patients develop a new autoimmune disorder, consider stopping the therapy.

Comment

Working...
          X