Greetings from an over-the-hill MSer!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from an over-the-hill MSer!

Greetings! I just discovered this great message board this past weekend. You are all so wonderfully kind and informative! I'm 57, was dx on July 4, 2010. No hx of MS in any family member, but mom had some autoimmune issues.

Prior to dx, I had horrific hand pain for several months, thought it was arthritis starting. Numbness on and off in fingertips, numbness on right side for a few days, then the mother load of Trigeminal Neuralgia hit (on a Sunday a.m., of course) and off to urgent care in tears. Eventhough it presented in a weird place (ON my ear!), the Dr. dx'ed it, prescribed gabapentin, and told me to see my PCP the following day. My astute PCP immediately ordered an MRI, and it was all downhill from there!

MRI showed several brain and spinal cord lesions, and the dx was confirmed with a positive lumbar puncture. Within a week I started on Copaxone, increased the gabapentin, tried several other drugs for crazy fatigue, until I found ritalin, which finally helped.

Cognitive issues are a total drag, but for now, I am fortunate to be able to continue working full-time. I can't believe what I don't remember--and names???? I give up!

I do have a couple of questions for those more seasoned MS'ers, so I'll post on the appropriate boards. Thanks so much for all you do.

--Nancy

Hi Nancy and welcome to MSWorld! I am also an old-timer as well as an old-timer to having MS. It's fortunate that you were diagnosed so quickly - some have to wait for years (like myself) to get a proper diagnose.

You have come to a good place! So many caring people and informative posts and we welcome all your questions and concerns. I'm happy you've found the right combinations of meds and are able to still work.

Hope to hear more from you!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi all! I'm a newby. I've spent time looking on the outside and decided it's high time i join a MS board.

My story is this..i had problems with my walking jan 2012 i noticed i had to "think" before i started to walk (if that makes sense) felt like i was walking on marbles too. I am also hypothyroid and was not on my meds due to a laps with no insuance. Well i finally got insurance and went to the doctor 11/2012.

Because of my walking i was sent to a neuro doc. Tons of blood taken and i was dx with hashimotos. Had an MRI which found leasions on brain none on spine., so the LP followed and got my dx of MS 1/15/2013.

WOW that was fast! i'm still processing the shock! My husband is positve, gives me my shots and we take a day at a time for tomarrow has not been made yet and God reminds us not to worry, He's in charge. Sure i get sad, mad and say THIS IS CRAP! but there are no chips and salsa at this pity party!

I have two sons and a f/t job as a nurse so i do the copaxone, take my thyroid med, exersise if my body lets me and pray. I wish the best for all and we pray for a cure!
      I'm gald i found this place and look foward to learning.

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **
      Diagnosed 1/15/2013, Avonex 2/8/13, copaxone 3/7/13

Comment

Hello Sphynx and mockmom

Welcome to both of you! Glad you found your way here and will be joinning us on the boards...Welcome!
        Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

I second Camsue's statement. Glad to have you, here. Good luck

Comment

Fellow old timer

I was dxd a year ago at 54. It was a fast dx and I got on Avonex and have had little side effects and don't seem to be having any ms symptons since/yet. Still able to work at this time also, but scared for the future.
            This is my first day on this site and want to wish you welcome.

Comment

Hello and Welcome! All three of you.

I'm happy you've found us and it's a pleasure to welcome you to our big MS family!
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
              X