Advice on buying a new bed that doesn't hurt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on buying a new bed that doesn't hurt

My pain at night has increased over the last couple months. Doc started me on ativan at night to help with the spasticity. (I've tried zanaflex and baclofen with nasty side effects.) I am so stiff after laying for a couple hours that sometimes I literally can barely move. Getting out of bed is difficult but once I get moving I usually improve throughout the morning.

I have found that sleeping on my couch, which is thick, soft foam, is a lot more comfortable. It helps to feel supported leaning on the back of the couch. I even slept for 10 hours straight once and wasn't woken up for bladder or pain issues. It was a complete miracle but I can't sleep there forever.

I particularly feel pain at pressure points and toss and turn in the bed all night. I will feel fine and then suddenly I will get shoulder or hip pain (not joint, the meat) that gets bad suddenly and I have to jump up and move around. I have even had to get completely out of bed at night, walk around the house then try to get back in. I take lyrica for back and hip pain that is sharp and it works great for that but not the rest of the pain.

I am thinking that my mattress is making it worse and have decided that I need to break down and get a new bed, although the cost will be more than I want right now. I never buy myself new stuff, everything goes to the kids. I am going to treat it like a piece of medical equipment I am buying to help my MS. (Wonder if it can be written off as a medical expense on my taxes?? humm????) I'm reasoning that if I feel better then I will be a better mom and therefore that will benifit my kids

Ok to the point of my post...I need advice on the best mattresses available to help with the kind of pain we get. I thought about a memory foam mattress but afraid with my stiffness I will find myself stuck on my back, like a turtle flipped over on its shell, unable to get up. Its a funny visual now but when things like that happen for real its not so funny at the moment.

Someone I know recommended a tempur-pedic bed but I don't know much about them. I guess I need to go to a mattress store and lay on a bunch of beds but I hate, hate, hate salesmen and like to have an idea of what I want before I go to a store. The car I last bought was the first one I test drove. I did so much research before hand that I knew exactly what I wanted. Wonder if the salesmen would let me take a nap to test drive the mattresses hehe!

At the same time I am buying myself a cane to help get out of bed in the morning, either that or a side rail to have something to pull with. It crazy, I can't get out of bed but then I get feeling better and go work a 14 hr day as a nurse taking care of others who can't get out of bed. What a crazy, backwards life we have!!

Any and all advice on beds will be appreciated and any other equipment that helps you with this kind of thing.

Thanks everyone!!
    Alliecjty
    RN, Mom and MS fighter

Greetings!
    Loved reading your post. I just went through this "big bed decision" last month! I had a 15 (?) year old queen Simmons pillow-top that was soft as a marshmallow. I was so stiff in the a.m., I could hardly move!

My daughter and her husband talked me into going to check out the Cloud series of Tempurpedics. I decided that the Cloud Supreme was the best fit for me, but what I absolutely fell in love with was the "Ergo" base. This is a movable head and foot base that makes a HUGE difference in comfort. Being a nurse, maybe you could score a base like this, and put a Cloud Supreme mattress on it!

They are crazy expensive, but I'm guessing that it's the last bed I'll ever purchase. I think it's making a big difference.

Good luck with the search. I'm totally with you on the salesman thing.

--Nancy

Comment

I will be watching this to see the replies. I would love to have an adjustable bed, but the choices are really expensive. Getting the wrong one scares me.

The memory foam mattresses like Tempurpedic seem to create issues with people who are heat sensitive, which I am. They are advertising cooler ones now.

I wonder if it would be harder to turn over on the foam mattress, since you sort of sink into it.

Does anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

Comment

Mattresses

I love my Cloud Tempur-pedic mattress. It was expensive (about $2800). I went to a store that had several on display and tried them out. We have had no problem with it being too hot, and I haven't ever had a problem getting stuck in it (and my mobility is very poor). I know others that are happy with their generic memory foam. My husband also wakes up feeling better on this mattress. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks! Taking in all the advice!
          Alliecjty
          RN, Mom and MS fighter

Comment

we bought amemory foam hybrid (one of the part coil, part mem foam types). It felt great in store but turns out it was the worst thing for us to buy. I get stuck in/on it - can't roll over well or get out of it in AM. Also gets warm (ours is a"cooler" mem foam). You do not flip most mem foam mattresses - just turn them head to toe.

My PT (who has a husband with progessive MS) reports many of her clients learned the same thing. She said most of them found out (in the long run) that a firm coiled mattress, with a topper of foam or thinner memory foam, works best. Many have also purchased adjustable beds, but this is out of my pocketbook.
            Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

I have a memory foam topper about an inch thick the kind you can buy anywhere. I like it. I think if it were any thicker - like a whole tempurpedic mattress - I might get stuck in it. Its not too warm for me in the winter but in the summer I have to be more careful with what blanket (sometimes no blanket) I use and what I wear to bed so I don't get too warm. Overall it works fine for me.

Comment

My husband and I purchased a new bed a couple years ago that had a doctor's recommendation. However, he said his back still hurt, so I purchased a 3" foam topper (4 lb.) by Aerus at Walmart for under $200. We have really enjoyed it, and both of us sleep much better. Because it is do dense, we have no problem turning during the night. We've learned to sleep with a pillow between our legs to balance the hips. You might also google "relax the back". I bookmarked this site in case I have trouble sleeping sometime in the future. I'm always thinking ahead....

Comment

Tempur-pedic!! We have had ours for almost 13 years and have never regretted it. Love, Love , Love it!

Comment

I have had an adjustable bed in '90-2005.' I just acquired a used one and am in the market for a new one.

I've been looking at the foam, and have similar worries: Heat and mobility. Often, I use the nightstand to "pull" myself out of bed.

If anyone knows of a good bed with massage and on a good sale....? Looking.

The mattress on the one, I had previously was, serta, I disliked the mattress...it had springs poke thru. I am not sure a "wired" mattress is all that compatable with the moving beds. Foam is to questionable. Still looking.

Fed

Comment

Years ago I purchased this a bed cane by Standers to help get out of bed and to turn - I love it

http://www.amazon.com/Standers-2041-...nders+bed+rail

Comment

I bought an alternating air flow mattress topper for my regular mattress. It has a quiet motor & it like sleeping on puffs of air.

It prevents bed sores also.

KK

Comment

Alliecjty,

I SWEAR by my "Select Comfort" bed. It can be adjusted, based of the needs of the user. Never have I regretted purchasing it. With that said...it IS expensive.
                          Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Comment

I also have a Select Comfort bed. I love it, although my DH isn't as big a fan as I am. For me, it has been very helpful reducing my back pain.

I've really missed my bed when I've been hospitalized. I've been lucky enough to get some bed sores on the hospital beds.

I only wish I had the adjustable model.
                            Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

The Floor

I sleep on the floor. Harder the better. If I was to get a bed it would be a Japanese platform bed.

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth, and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Bill Hicks

Comment

Working...
                              X