Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hi there

Hi there.
    I'm new to this board - very glad to find this online community of support.
    My name is Marlene. I'm 43. Married, two kids- 8 and 6.
    I was dx in 1996. I have had a very lucky streak - only sensory issues/pain in legs for most of that time. Then last May I had an atack that left me numb from my bra line to my toes on both sides of my body. Did a round of steroids and it eventually settled down. Then mid-June I had another attack - this time it was vertigo which was AWFUL.

I can live with the pins/needles/numbness and other mild symptoms, but vertigo is so disabling. Thankfully it passed after another round of steroids. Started copaxone in July.

I am a runner and have recently found that after longer runs (I did a 1/2 marathon a couple of weeks ago, and did 15 K this weekend) the vertigo returns. THankfully it's not as intense as the initial attack was last May, but it's still there and is annoying. I'm trying to figure out if it's a coincidence (I don't think so) or if there's anything I can do to prevent the vertigo from coming on after longer runs. I would hate to give up my running as it's my salvation in many ways and most of the time I feel better if I make time for regular exercise.

If anyone has had a similar experience (returning of symptoms after physical activity) I'd be glad to hear from you.
    Looking forward to getting to know you all.
    M
    I

** Moderator's note - Post broken into paragraphs for easier reading. Many people with MS have visual difficulties that prevent them from reading large blocks of print. **

Hi, welcome! I'm a new member too and I'm happy to hear you've done so well with your running since diagnosis. I'm working up to a 5k myself

Two points - after working out, I do sometimes have problems with foot drop. I've found that staying as cool as possible seems to alleviate that. Like, for instance, drink some cool water on your run and see if that helps. My foot drop is usually quite minor, but it does affect my gait.

Vertigo, ah vertigo. That's my newest issue, I feel your pain! I tend to only get it when I get knocked out with a virus, but the little, off-balance stuff can stick around for a bit. From what anecdotal research I've done, it seems that the first time is the worst. Your brain will start compensating after that, so that's good news. My first attack was awful, but the second one was much more mild. I take OTC anti-motion sickness meds when I have it (little chewable pills), but may start taking Dramamine too for the dizzies when I get them. There are prescription meds too that might work for you. Luckily, for me at least, vertigo only seems to last for a day at most, and the minor attacks are easy to deal with aside from the having to stay in bed.

I think the thing that's helped me the most through my MS issues is to stay positive and talk to your neuro about any really nagging issues. Symptom-wise, it seems that there are effective treatments.

Comment

Hi Marlene! It's nice to meet you. I used to be a runner ages and ages ago, but now I can't even walk beyond 3/8 mi. After 24 yrs of MS, it has taken it's toll.

Regardless, just wanted to welcome you to MSWorld and glad you are here. Good luck on your races and hope you can keep being active! Hope you find something that eases your vertigo too.

Come back often and take care
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi and welcome!

I'm sorry that you have so much pain and are dealing with other things that certainly make today challenging.

I pray that you get answers for your medical problems and I pray that tomorrow is a better all around.

Comment

Hi MMJ

Welcome! I can't help you with your running question, just want to say Hi and welcome!
          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

Welcome!

that's wonderful that you're still running! it is one of the greatest feelings on earth!!!

have you talked to your dr. about your symptoms?
            it may be that the running overheats you and causes your sxs to return or get worse.
            i have all the sxs you described. the vertigo can be treated with meds depending on what type it is. which is why you need to tell your dr.
            if you're able to still run as much as you are, i certainly hope and think that with keeping yourself cooler and maybe even meds you could still keep it up. i certainly pray so.

take care & God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Hello and Welcome MMJ!
              When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

Working...
              X