Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pen user or naked-needle user?

Hello~
    I just wanted to start a casual conversation of which form of injection you use!

I am helpless without a pen/injector...
    But I've heard some brave souls who inject it without one...
    And that they prefer that...

What's your preference?

I don't use an injectible medicine anymore but when I did I mostly injected manually. It gave me much better control of depth and speed. I occasionally used an autoinjector to reach places I couldn't get manually but those the only times.

Comment

I have never given myself the shot manually. That being said I do think it would be beneficial in certain spots. I guess I'm just to chicken to try

Comment

Manual COpaxone. It just allows me more control of the speed of it getting in. If too fast, my heart speeds up.
        RRMS 2005, Copaxone since 2007
        "I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Comment

I'm on Rebif & I prefer to inject manually. The first few times I injected, I was really nervous about it & used the autoinjector. However, I swore to myself that within the first two weeks, I would inject manually at least once so that I could conquer my fears. I wanted to know that I could do it if I ever had to in case my autoinjector broke or was left at home or something - I didn't want to have to do it under pressure for the first time. Much to my surprise, I liked injecting manually much better. I bruise much less, I am better able to control the depth of the needle & I can control how fast the medicine goes in.
          RRMS 1/16/13
          Ocrevus 2/19/18

Comment

Although I'm dependent on my injector, I wanted to try manually to see the benefit of having more control

And to conquer the fear

But I'm on Rebidose, so no point hahaha

Comment

I've never tried the auto injector.
              Back when I started, the Beta nurse showed up for training, I had some questions about mixing and by the time she was going to start the injector training I had already given myself the shot and said "That's it??"

I also like the control I get by going manual. With the injectors- once you push the button you're committed.

Comment

I'm past the injectibles now, but I vastly preferred manual. I had more control of the injection, there was less tissue damage, and it hurt less. I don't mind seeing a needle, so there was really no reason for an auto injector unless it was a place I couldn't reach.

Comment

Hello spritebottle,

I just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the site!
                  When I can laugh at my experiences, I own them and they don't own me!

Comment

I've never liked the injectors. I've done bot beta and copax. I tend to tense up before I pull the trigger and it hurts more. The needles are so tiny and sharp, I find it easier to just do it myself.

I also have much better control over depth, like others have said because its easier to pinch the skin or relax an area to reach.

Copax has little need holders you can request that make it easier to hold the needles for the harder to reach spots. I like these!
                    Symptoms Oct 2009, Dx Feb 2010. betaseron 2/10-2/12. Copaxone 3/12- present.

Comment

I love my autoinjector even after 6 years of shots! Well, not really, but I like it better than doing the shots manually. I'm not scared of needles and have no problem with someone else giving me a shot or taking my blood but I have found when I do my injections manually I think about it too much and I'm afraid that will lead to me passing out. Plus, my 4 year old likes to push the button on my autoinjector for me!
                      Lori
                      Betaseron 2004-2009, Tysabri 2010-2011, Copaxone 2012-2013, Tecfidera 2013...

Comment

For two years I used the auto injector for Copaxone. I recently ditched the injector, and tried it manually. For me, it is far less "jarring" and intrusive to do it manually.

I was such a clutz the first few weeks of injecting myself, that I actually had a needle fly out of the injector and pierce my thigh. I could not possibly recreate this if I tried! Now, I'm a pro!
                        --Nancy

Comment

Sphynx you are funny! I use manual. My husband does it for me and he is very good! Have no lumps and it just stings a bit.
                          Diagnosed 1/15/2013, Avonex 2/8/13, copaxone 3/7/13

Comment

Manual Injection of Avonex

An Rn came out and demonstrated the auto injection Pen that Avonex offers. I didn't try it on myself but using the practice pad that he used scared me off.
                            I agree with others that depth and speed control are a big pluss for me. I have found spots that were very sensitive and even have pulled out and moved to another spot. If that autoinjector hit that nerve I would be needle shy from then on. ouch!

Comment

From the looks of it, manual injections are a resounding "YES"

I wanted to try manual because I hate the lumps after the injections and that sudden "attack" by the injector is somewhat frightening...

And thank you for the welcome, CaroleL!

Comment

Working...
                              X