Suggestions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions Please

My wife is 44 year old. She had symptoms of MS from 5 years but we were late in detecting that it's MS. We found out that it's MS in 2011 November. She has been using Avonex from 2011 November. In the beginning, She became better but then Symptoms became getting worse again... These days, She has double vision, Trouble with walking, Weakness and few other symptoms.... and they're getting worse. How is Avonex working for everyone? Should She continue using Avonex or switch to some other medicine? Any suggestions on what we should do?

Hi pavuluri and Welcome to MSWorld

I don't use any of the MS treatments so I have no advice to give you on Avonex.

What I would suggest is for your wife to talk to or see her neuro about her current MS condition. It is possible your wife is having a relapse (exacerbation, attack, flare-up).
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I would recommend that you also post this on the Avonex board.

Your subject on this post does not mention Avonex, so it is likely that many Avonex users would not notice it compared to in the Avonex board.

You should keep in mind that DMDs are not advertised to prevent ALL flares. It is still possible to have some flare ups while on a DMD as they are only intended to reduce the number and severity of flares.

Also, some DMDs do not work for some people, while others do. Many MSers have tried multiple DMDs before finding something that works for them. I am now on my fourth DMD myself, in just over three years.

Comment

Avonex is one of the DMD=disease modifying drugs. DMDs are considered effective for a patient if active inflammation=disease activity=lesions are reduced, and/or there is no evidence of new lesions on MRIs.

DMDs are not usually evaluated based on patient's symptoms than can be due to prior disease activity, existing lesions, prior inflammation.

There are patients who experience symptom improvement after several years on one of the DMDs. Symptom improvement is usually attributed to administration of one of the DMD that results in reducion of disease activity.

When active disease is reduced, lesion healing is more likely and can result in recovery from MS symptoms.

The healing process and recovery can be a very slow process, as the brain 're-wires' around the damaged areas, recovery or partial recovery from loss of function, can occur.

The DMDs often come with many side effects. Sometimes intolerance to the side effects is a factor in deciding if a patient should continue on the DMD or if another DMD should be considered.

Even if the DMD is effective in reducing the disease activity, the side effects can become intollerable. In some instances, intolerance to side effects is overcome by the patient over time.

Comment

Oops - I must be having a brain cramp because this WAS posted in the Avonex board. I didn't realize where I was and thought I was still in the General section.

Sorry about that !

**Mod. note- You're fine, cosake - you were correct, but I moved it - lol
          Seasha**

Comment

@ Seasha - are you trying to make me think I'm crazy ?!! Lol !

**Not any crazier than I am!!**

Comment

Let me give you a suggestion by way of example. I take a generic med for a condition. I recently switched to the more expensive, newer medication. Both medications are in the same class - they work the same, but the newer one is considered more effective. It did nothing for me - not just the same as the old med, but it had no effect on me.

What you should know is that Avonex may work for one person and not for another. And even if it's "working", you can still get worse.

So the question is whether she should change meds. This is a personal decision for biological reasons as I have mentioned above, but also because you should figure this out with your doctor.

If she has double vision and didn't have it before, that's a good indication that she's had a relapse and you need to discuss with your doctor. If she has double visions sometimes when she's tired or hot and it comes and goes, that's different. But don't believe that since you're taking avonex, you're doing all you can. It may not be working for her and it's time to try a different drug (but not rebif, since it's the same medication).

keep us informed.

Comment

I feel horrible too and I'm not sure either if its Avonex or the MS? I have felt dizzy, confused, and like I'm in a fog, wish I could figure this out too! Let me know what you find out. My neuro sux, I'm in the process of finding a better one.

Comment

Originally posted by NLay View Post
                  I feel horrible too and I'm not sure either if its Avonex or the MS? I have felt dizzy, confused, and like I'm in a fog, wish I could figure this out too! Let me know what you find out. My neuro sux, I'm in the process of finding a better one.
                  Well, in general those sound like MS symptoms. I have taken Avonex for 3 years. The first year was very difficult, both from a recovery perspective and because the Avonex made me feel awful once per week.

In my experience the Avonex will make your symptoms worse on shot day, just like having a flu would make your symptoms worse. But then a day or two or three later, if you still have a symptom, it may not be the Avonex, but your MS.

This is not all bad - it can still get better, especially if you're new to this. Make sure you're resting a LOT because you need it for healing. Also, be aware of your other medications. Antidepressants and others can make you feel foggy. Keep at it and good luck with your new Neuro.

Comment

I just got a See you in 6 months from my neuro, Avonex Penuser

Stick with Avonex Pen.
                    My 22 shot and no side effects now.
                    My body & I are now accepting Avonex Pen.
                    I am walking, a cane just in case from falls...
                    Jordan
                    I just got a Your doing great Jordan from my Neurologist...
                    I will see you in 6 months.

Originally posted by pavuluri View Post
                    My wife is 44 year old. She had symptoms of MS from 5 years but we were late in detecting that it's MS. We found out that it's MS in 2011 November. She has been using Avonex from 2011 November. In the beginning, She became better but then Symptoms became getting worse again... These days, She has double vision, Trouble with walking, Weakness and few other symptoms.... and they're getting worse. How is Avonex working for everyone? Should She continue using Avonex or switch to some other medicine? Any suggestions on what we should do?

Comment

Avonex

Hi there.
                      I am 43 this year and found out 2 years ago about my MS.
                      I started using Avonex and was fine with the side effects usually lasting just for 1 day.
                      The last 6 months I have been struggling with the aches lasting for 4 or 5 days and the feelings of lethargy and depression getting to the point of desperation.
                      My doctor finally agreed for me to switch to Copaxone which I have only just started this morning so I can't tell you what it is like, it feels like a bee sting when you inject but it soon wears off. I am slightly concerned about the injection site fat loss though

Comment

Working...
                      X