X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sauna's

Hi;
    Just wondering if anyone has a sauna, and does it help
    with the ms or is it too hot. What if you keep it not as hot as most people like it. We have one and my hubby love s it and i would love to detox in it also. Please let me know your experiences with a sauna. thanks tammy

It your not sensitive to heat you might be OK in the sauna. But if you are sensitive to heat if might be a bad idea. You could overheat and not be able to get out and you would cook yourself. Seriously, people with MS have DIED in hot tubs from being to weak to get out and they cooked their brains and internal organs. If you want to try the sauna NEVER go in alone. ALWAYS have someone with you who can turn off the sauna and pull you out if you get too weak to get out yourself. Fortunately I'm not sensitive to heat and I love a short hot shower but I wouldn't want to risk a sauna.

Comment

I am afraid to go in one unless I find out if I have MS or not.
      YOu can check with your doctor or nurse to make sure.
      I have two friends that have MS and they are very affected by the heat. The heat somehow makes the nerves dead, so the MS gets worse.
      I got a "taste" of it when I chose to take a long (30 minutes), HOT shower. I almost got so relaxed I fell asleep. Anyway, my right leg got really weak, "buckled," and I fell in the shower.

This is the first time it has happened.

Another MS poster said it may be Uthoff's Syndrome (look it up on Goggle). I used wikipedia to read the explanation and it is interesting.

Don't go in the sauna or let yourself heat up too much.

Maybe some other posters will add their experiences.

Good Luck, and it is good that you asked.

Comment

I do have MS ... diagnosed in 1989. My hubby loves to sauna, we have one he uses all year round. I have tried saunas ... the heat wipes me out.

I think it's good advice to use the sauna with someone else until you know how you will react to it.
        Karen

Comment

I am heat sensitive so I would never use a sauna. I do sometimes go in the hot tub for a little while. Always with someone else around, and usually right before bedtime so that if I am wobbly afterwards, I am just going to get into bed and go to sleep anyway.

I haven't had any long-lasting weakness, and my neuros have always said that the heat does not make my disease worse, it just may make the symptoms temporarily worse.

Comment

I'd be cautious. I was a hair away from buying a sauna myself at one point and then had a very bad experience after using one. Now, the sauna manufacturer lists MS as a contraindication to use.

Immunologist old me after a bad experience from sitting under a hair dryer at the salon, (yes, it actually caused a flareup), that heat increases the activity of the immune system. Somewhere online, there is research that measures this effect as nearly doubling with every one degree increase in body temperature.
            It's not fatigue. It's a Superwoman hangover.

Comment

I'm not diagnoses but I love the sauna for my muscles and I find I can stretch them much better in there but I don't stay in long and feel a little light headed when I leave
              Hot tubs increased ,my leg numbness to extreme burning and
              The hair dryer at the salon makes me feel super weak and can't tolerate it long
              I also have that bug crawling thing increase when I exercise
              All weird for someone not diagnosed but I would definetly contribute heat as increasing my symptoms
              Just never attempt it alone and try and see if you can tolerate it
              LeAnn

Comment

Not everyone with MS is heat sensitive. I had no trouble with beach or hot tubs until I'd had MS about 15 - 20 years. Before that I really enjoyed it.

And to this day I have no trouble with the hair dryer. so Tammy, if you want to check it out, why not give it a try - for a brief dip, with your husband around just in case?

Comment

I love going to the sauna!

I agree with onlyairfare... Try it out for a little bit with your husband. He will be there to help in the event that something does go wrong and he will also be there to help you relax.

I LOVE going to sauna resorts! My boyfriend and I go a few times a year, just to relax. I have been in so many different types of saunas and hot tubs! That being said, some are definitely better than others.

I have experienced almost black-out over-heating from showering but in the few instances in which that has happened, I was smart enough to get out as soon as I felt uneasy... So this talk about people boiling in hot tubs... That must have been in extreme rare cases with underlying issues.

The only problems I've ever had at the sauna were dizziness and thirst. I'd just like to point out though that those two symptoms are also very common with 110% healthy and disease-free people who partake in sauna/hot tub activity.

If I had a sauna in my house, I'd use it a couple of times a week to de-stress!! GO FOR IT. You really don't have anything to lose. If you do get that feeling in the pit of your stomach and dark vision from over-heating, it doesn't take too long to come back to life, plus if it's anything like I've experienced, you'll have plenty of time to "escape" before you boil/steam to death. (What a ridiculous thing to suggest in a thread for people with real fears. In my opinion, that person should be ashamed.)

Enjoy the sauna and enjoy life!

And for credibility purposes:
                  I was diagnosed with MS in 2010 after a long case of optic neuritis which left me completely blind in one eye for several weeks. My vision is back and so am I. I love running, biking, reading, and music. I don't shy away from things because something on the Internet told me I should. I have MS but MS doesn't have ME.
                  Diagnosed 4/10; Copaxone 10/10 - 8/13
                  You win some and you lose some, but that is how you learn. -ALB

Comment

This is an old thread but I recently found it and was interested in reading it.

I have an FIR Infrared hothouse sauna dome. It's a dry heat vs a humid heat. Swimming pools and hot tubs affect my mobility and zap my energy but dry heat doesn't seem to bother me.

I use it daily. I've read so much about its health benefits. I'll be interested to see, when I have my next MRI if the healthy lifestyle I try to live has contributed to no new lesions.

Anyone else use a sauna?
                    ~ Faith
                    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                      Anyone else use a sauna?

In a hotel once (wet). Makes sense that a person could benefit, toxin release etc.

I remember feeling anxious to get out, to shower off the slimy sweat (sorry). It had the hot rocks / steam, so it was a wet sauna (hoping the hotel personnel disinfect).

With no heat issues, a hot shower or the hot tub jets (minor relief from muscle spasticity) work well enough.

Comment

I have always loved sauna's. I use them when I work-out at the gym. I wasn't dx with ms at the time although I had sx's. The sauna never bothered me. It's one of the things I miss. I would be willing to install one if my husband would use it if I found out I couldn't.

After doing water aerobics my legs felt so heavy I could hardly walk.

I crave working out at the gym, using sauna and doing water aerobics.
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

We've been looking into buying a 3 person unit for the house.
                          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I can't tolerate hot tubs or saunas. They make it hard to breath for me.
                            Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Working...
                            X