Plane travel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plane travel

I'm soon going on a plane using my scooter. Please share your experence using a scooter. I've read on the internet what to do but I'm looking for first hand experence.
    CH
    Surfer

I have flown many times with a Pride GoGo scooter. I ride the scooter through the wheelchair lane at security. They ask if I can walk (no, since my forearm crutches are off going through x-ray) and if I can remove my shoes (also No). I get manually patted down, and they swab my shoes.
    Someone traveling with me has to take my purse, crutches, etc. and go through X-ray.

I ride the scooter to the gate, and check in. I ask for a gate check tag for the scooter. When they call boarding, I ride the scooter to the door of the plane, and leave it there. I am able to walk short distances with my forearm crutches, so I use them to get on the plane.

If I'm changing planes, I talk to the flight attendant, and let them know I need the scooter brought up to the plane door, not transferred like luggage.

You will have to wait a while to get the scooter back at the plane door. They usually have to take it to an elevator and bring it up. That can take a while depending on where their elevator is located.

My walking has deteriorated this year. I do not think I can get from the scooter across the doorway of the plane. Looks like I'll get to try out a ride in an aisle wheelchair. If anyone has done that, I'd like to hear how it went.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I also have a gogo scooter. Do you worry about it getting wet outside when its raining? Have you taken the subway train in atlanta going between flights? Do you find they take care not to damage the scooter?
      CH
      Surfer

Comment

scooters, powerchairs and wheelchairs are handled differntly depending on the baggage ground crew. I travel a lot and have only had one major issue. For the most part my equipment comes thru fine - a few scratches over the years, but no regular problems like breakage.

A few tips: before you travel search for a good DME provider in the location you are going to. Having that companies phone number handy "just in case" can tun into a godsend if you need a quick fix or loaner (paid by airport if they caused a problem).

Put your name and phone numbers on it (I always list my home and cell numbers on a hot pink luggage tag) and make sure your scooter/chair has the barcoded lugagge sticker (just like on your luggage handle). This helps make sure your equipment ends up in the same place as you fly to. Yes, I have had my chair get sent on the wrong plane twice, but this is not a common problem.

Ziptie/tape any cords to tubing - less to get snagged on something and rip free. Remove any cushion (on a wheelchair)

Remove anything that is removeable - handles, side pieces, footplates etc. I carry the pieces in a large tote bag aboard the plane - mobility equipemt is NOT counted against your carry-on allowance & there is no charge to bring it.

Your equipment may get wet, but when the ramp is chut down it gets shutdown ASAP. This is not common but if it happens, the crew is very good about helping you dry it.

Hope this helps. Have fun!
        Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult...

Comment

I can get on and off the train between concourses in Atlanta on the chair just fine. There's only a tiny gap.

I have not had a problem with it getting wet. The flight attendants and ground crew have been excellent in assisting me and in handling the scooter.

Does your scooter have a key? I seem to remember that the go go scooter does. Use something to fasten it to the scooter handlebar, like a lariat or one of those springy wrist bands. And take an extra key. Your mobility provider can sell you one for about $10. You don't want to be stuck somewhere if the key gets removed.

Comment

kmallory,
            I've flown many times with power equipment and the use of an aisle chair. You ride your scooter or chair down to the plane door (first on, last off) then plane attendants are there with the small chair. My husband has always picked me up, but the airport personel have been trained in transfers. Then it's a little ordeal with all the aisle chair seat belts....safety first!

I've never had a problem. Once or twice a little wait while they got my powerchair back up to the door after landing.
            Good luck,
            lori

Comment

The trip was very good. I flew Delta and could not have taken better care of before, during and when we landed. I drove the scooter to the plane and it was back by the plane for me to ride when I landed. This was a test run and I will do it in the future.
              Surfer

Comment

lexus light

This scooter is, in my opinion, the best for air travel.. I own 2.
                google lexus light. see if it fits your needs. tried a lot of different scooters...etc
                Mike.
                dx. 1974
                Mike
                DX age 36

Comment

Assistance through airport

I'm so glad your flight went well. My question is, did you still receive assistance through security and to your gate even though you were on a scooter? I have flown before but always used the airport wheelchair assistance and I'm afraid if on my own I would have a hard time finding my way.

Comment

My Wife and Son were with me so I had them around the whole time. I was not anxious because I had my family support. I'm sure without them it would not be as comfortable for me. Not the plane or airport, it is all well marked and easy to get around. Sometimes this MS gets in my head and creates problems. Traveling alone for me is better with my family. I wouldn't have it any other way. I consider this a benefit of MS. It has slowed me down and I realize what is really important.
                    Surfer

Comment

Working...
                    X