New Diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Diagnosis

Hi all, my name is Pete. I live in CA near Sacramento. I was just diagnosed yesterday with MS. I've been having issues since early December. I've had lower back pain for a couple of years now. In December I was having back problems again along with upper back and shoulder pain. Went to the Doctor on a Thurs and was given pain meds. The next day, on the way to Chiropractor, I realized that my left hand was getting weak and lacked coordination. Later in the day started having trouble with both legs. My right leg was numb and my left leg had limited muscle control.

By that Sunday my hand was pins and needles, weak and had limited movement. As the week went on I had pins and needles with weakness moving up my arm. I went to my Dr and told him about the issues I was having. I told him that I didn't think I was having a stroke, but wanted to make sure. He did some blood tests and said my bloodwork was ok other than slightly low vitamin D and my A1C was a little high. He referred me to a Neurologist.

Neurologist did a nerve conduction test and sent me for an MRI. The symptoms in my legs subsided after a couple days and a few visits to the Chiropractor. I think they were mostly due to my back issue. Over time my hand has gotten better. It is still pins and needles, but I have learned to use it again for most things even though its pretty numb. It took me a little while to get the MRI. I had trouble finding one that would accomodate someone my size. Most of the MRI machines around here either have a narrow bore diameter or only have a weight limit of 350-400 pounds. I'm 6'5" and a bit over 450.

The MRI shows that I have a 5mm lesion on the right side of my Corpus Collossum and two 3mm lesions in the right Parietal lobe. I also have a 1.4x6cm lesion on my cervical spine. The Doctor told me I have MS, but that she wants to do a puncture and another round of bloodwork to rule out any other causes.

I'm actually doing ok with the diagnosis for two reasons. One of them is my spiritual beliefs. The other is that my big sister was diagnosed with MS a couple years ago. We usually talk on a daily basis. Now we talk one or more times every day. She gives me tips and is there for me. I'm glad that I don't feel alone because I have someone who truly understands what is happening.

Hi Pete and Welcome to MSWorld!! We're glad you found us. You are fortunate that they were able to get a diagnosis so soon. Many others have had to wait much longer - even years for a dx.

It's also wonderful that you have a sister as a support team. You will both be so much help to one another. You might want to invite her to join our great community if she hasn't already! The folks here are so supportive and friendly. We have a forum for those newly diagnosed, that you might find interesting and informative.

We also have a chat room if you are interested. Here is a link for the schedules http://msworld.org/chatroom_info They have one for those newly diagnosed.

Come back often, ask questions and share your story!
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Hi P.Norman: Glad you were preliminarily diagnosed so soon. Sorry you have to have the LP. It won't be too bad though. Just remember to lie down for the full 24 hours and let people help you. You don't want to get a headache, those are awful.

I am glad you sound OK with the diagnosis. It is good you have your sister as a shelter through all of this. Be sure to go to the NMSS to read up on medications so that you can make an informed decision about which one you would like to start with.

Welcome to the site.
      Take care
      Lisa
      Moderation Team
      Disabled RN with MS for 14 years
      SPMS EDSS 7.5 Wheelchair (but a racing one)
      Tysabri

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcome. My sister has already been an asset worth her weight in gold. We were never too distant, but we have been very close for the past 15 years or so. She's like a big sister, best friend and mother rolled into one. Hopefully I can help her someday as much as she has helped me.

We have already been through alot together and this will make us even stronger. We have also gotten pretty good at laughing together which really helps. I told her about this website last night.

Comment

Working...
        X