Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ampyra and Results

Is there anyone else that happens to be taking the drug
    Ampyra??? I would like to hear about your experiences.

I have been on it for almost 3 yrs now, love it, if I miss a dose my body lets me know with 2 -3 hours and my legs are like lead weights. Also has helped with fatique and heat tolerance but like all ms meds it does the same foe others and nothing for others. Some have problem sleeping while on it, which I did a little but now take mine at 12 and 12 so I am already asleep before it gets into my body good and also get up with it still working.
    Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

I took it for about 2 months last year. I had no terrible side effects ... but it didn't help my walking either. I quit taking it.
      Karen

Comment

Amprya User

Finally, I found someone that has some of the same effects as I have seen! I have an energy level now that rivals having a Large, Northern Lite Carmel Latte from Caribou with an extra shot of expresso. The bonus with Ampyra is that there is not a slump. The energy level has been more astonishing than being able to move a little better. Having more energy allows me to push myself a little bit more. It is funny how you bring up that it is helped with heat tolerance. After doing a little bit of amateur research, I found that the adrenal glands monitor body temperature and energy levels. Hmmmm. It is almost like the Ampyra has helped that "area" that regulates that information. I tried asking the neuro who introduced me to the Amypra, but he had no knowledge of the questions that I was asking. I could go on and on, but I may start to ramble.

There is a whole story that goes behind how I found out about Ampyra and the testing I did, but that can be for another time. I am looking forward to reading more experiences!! Tami

Comment

TThompson- A dr at a meeting for ampyra that I went to explained some on the heat tolerance improvement, what he said was that ampyra blocks a chemical that I cannot think of the the name at the moment which causes the short circuits in our nerves, when you get hot your body puts out more of the chemical which then inturn causes more short circuits or intensifies them, by ampyra blocking it it reduces the effect there by improving heat tolerance. hope that makes sense and I know as soon as I send this I will think of the name of the chemical.

Comment

Scooter - I think you were thinking of Ampyra as a potassium channel blocker. This link (with diagram) explains it - http://ampyra.com/about-ampyra/what-is-ampyra/
            1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
            Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Seasha, that's what I thought it was but didn't sound correct, the meeting was 2 yrs ago and I cant remember what I made for dinner last night

Comment

I take Ampyra and I love it. It helps some with my walking basically it helps with my speed like it suppose to but nothing else with my walking.

The main thing it helps me with is my thinking. I can think so much clearer and my memory is a little better but not much.

I can say one thing if I do not take a pill I can tell. All my side effects disappeared after the first week.

Comment

I also take Ampyra. I think it is my favorite MS med. I haven't noticed that it helps with my walking "speed" but it absolutely helps with walking in general. If I miss taking it - usually it's the night time dose since they stress the 12 hour apart rule. If I miss it - it is very noticable the next morning until I get that morning dose. Walking/moving around in general is just more difficult without it. I am often a little nauseated as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X